Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

Peter Capaldi's Theme Music Empty
PostSubject: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Does anyone else think it's the worst the show has ever had? I think it's downright awful.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 pm

I like it much better than the Matt Smith version we've had to endure the past few years.

Both are still better than Keff McCulloch's "kazoo" theme... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 am

I think 2 simple tweaks could go a long way toward making it sound 'more appropriate':

1) Make it louder. It seems like there is a volume drop between the cold open and the title music. So it feels 'weak'.

2) As much as I am not a fan of compression and bloated bass in my music, in this case it would be most welcome. This song is not for an audiophile's archive, it's supposed to be a heart-pumping cue for an adventure to come. So by all means, up the db on those lower frequencies, stat!
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Here's a bit of over-the-top EQ-ing (not just bass, but some mids to 'open it up') + a bit of compression and smearing with a kiss of reverb, using some lossy YouTube audio as the source. As 'club-mix'-y as it sounds, I just think it adds a bit more of that "heck yea! Doctor Who is on!" feeling.

www.bentox.com/dwblastmix.mp3

Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 1:39 pm

I hate the whining sound that they use in the second part of the theme, it's very... annoying. The beginning with the bells makes it sound like a Christmas special everytime. They really screwed it up. Keff McCulloch's theme was the absolute best Doctor Who has ever had.
Back to top Go down
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 2:43 pm

I personally love the theme music, has a great kick back to the Sylvester McCoy era whining sound in his theme music and that is when I was a kid watching it on TV so it gives me a warm cozy feeling.

Pretty cool
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Peter Capaldi's Theme Music   Peter Capaldi's Theme Music EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 7:57 pm

I don't care for it.  I wish they had just kept the Series 7b theme for a while longer... heck that opening sequence was pretty awesome too.  I love the spiraling clockwork sequence, but they could have saved that for next year Smile

McCulloch's theme was great. I didn't like his incidental music, but that theme is one of my favorites.

I'd love to hear the latter half of the "Terror Version" re-recorded by the orchestra and used for the series. That them is another one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down

Peter Capaldi's Theme Music
Page 1 of 1