Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Happy Birthday Tom Baker Empty
PostSubject: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Let us wish Tom Baker a Happy 80th Birthday and share our favorite memories of Tom (onscreen and off), our favorite 4th Dr. era episodes, scenes and lines.

Happy Birthday Tom Baker Fa3d9910

I'll start off....

I met Tom back in about 2001, as we stood the considerably long line we were entertained by a full size screen accurate RC K.9 whizzing up and down, talking to us and having photos taken with him etc. The guy that owned the K.9 was a couple ahead of us in the line and when he got to meet Mr. Baker and receive his autographed DVD he asked Tom "Would you mind having your photo taken with my K.9" Tom looked up at him, looked down at K.9 and said in a few firm tone "No, I don't think so, I hate that ******* dog"  lol! WOW.... The guy did not know what to say in response, my friend and I were just laughing. I did give Tom a bag of jelly babies, not very original but he was kind enough to say thank you with his big smile then he said to me "Would you like a Jelly baby?" How fantastic  bounce  

Happy Birthday Tom!!

Last edited by SJA on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:02 pm

LOL!! Sounds about right for Tom. Razz

I don't really have any outstanding memories of Tom; I'm of young age. But my earliest experience of Tom was watching 'The Deadly Assassin', one of my first Who experiences, and I remember thoroughly enjoying it.

Not nearly as good as your story, SJA. lol!

Anyway, happy birthday, Mr Baker! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 pm

LOL, Great story.  I winder what he would say now that he has embraced Doctor Who once again.  Happy Birthday to the man who made me a Whovian!
Back to top Go down
canonball

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 pm

I watched Tom Baker faithfully on PBS when I was a little kid, but for many years I was too young to understand what I was watching -- I just loved the scarf and the robot dog. He was part of my childhood the same way Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo were, but unlike them, Baker remained a staple right up into my early school years.

I was so attached to him that when he left the series, I stopped watching altogether, and I wouldn't watch another episode until my wife finally convinced my reluctant butt to check out NuWho with Christopher Eccleston. That may have brought me back, but Tom Baker will always be my Doctor!

I have no cool stories of personal encounters with Mr. Baker, but I get the biggest kick out of reading other's stories,
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 1:12 pm

I love Tom Baker's Doctor, and the Philip Hinchcliffe/Robert Holmes era is my favorite Doctor Who run of all time. Here's hoping Tom has a wonderful 80th and many more to come.

Sadly, both times I met him were in that mid-late 80s era when he had lost interest in Doctor Who and was only doing American cons for the lucrative paycheck. Both encounters were (to put it mildly) pretty disappointing, and I'd rather not bash one of my idols on his birthday.

Lets just say I am happy to hear, based on recent interviews, that Tom has his Doctor Who groove back Smile
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday Tom Baker   Happy Birthday Tom Baker EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Yes, he definitely seems to have got his mojo back. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

Happy Birthday Tom Baker
Page 1 of 1