Ianotimelord
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KIRKESS

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-09-20

The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 8:39 pm

HOWEVER,

How many Time Lords are still alive (outside the time lock) Question Question Question Question 

We know that the recall module was not replaced when the TARDIS was made functional (again).

If 8 was not a willing volunteer (fight or die in 4 minutes), then how many Time Lords did not fight Question Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
memnoch21

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Alive? Probably not many. The Master ran, the Corsair was likely dead already. Wonder where Romana got to...
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Romana could still be in E-Space.

The Rani also strikes me as someone who would survive. How I have no idea, but if anyone could.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 pm

The only thing that would have made this better is if this was the final episode of a small number of mini-episodes. (Think "Pond Life.")
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I hope it is actually one of the first.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 am

I just realized that this does not have the "Doctor Who" title on it. Wonder why?
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 2:00 am

All the Time lords are supposed to be dead outside of the timelock. The Doctor said early on that he'd know if they were still around. The Master escaped this, of course, by making himself human. So I suppose Romana could be in E-space. And maybe the Rani survived in some other way that masked her mind from the Doctor.

So, in short, the answer is "None until they need them for a story and write themselves out of it." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KIRKESS

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:48 am

Rule One: The Doctor Lies. Twisted Evil 

Rule Two: Plot devices are needed to keep the franchise going. santa 
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 11:22 am

Since the 8th Doctor audios have been made canon by this short, that means Romana was the President of Gallifrey, after having escaped E-Space.

The one I do still wonder about is Susan... I haven't heard the 8th stories that feature her, yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 11:39 am

Oh well at least we know that Big Finish is 100% cannon now... it was great to hear the 8th mention all of his Big Finish companions.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Calixar wrote:
Since the 8th Doctor audios have been made canon by this short, that means Romana was the President of Gallifrey, after having escaped E-Space.

The one I do still wonder about is Susan... I haven't heard the 8th stories that feature her, yet.
Spoiler Space:

This is from Wikipedia, and is mostly spoiler free:

"In the Big Finish bonus release An Earthly Child, Susan is reunited with the Doctor in his eighth incarnation (Paul McGann), and has a son named Alex (Jake McGann). She subsequently appears in the Eighth Doctor Adventures in Relative Dimensions and Lucie Miller / To the Death."

I have listened to and liked all of the listed stories, and Susan is definitely confirmed as a Time Lord; with Alex being part Time Lord due to his mixed heritage. Well worth a listen but Lucie Miller / To the Death has tragic consequences for many regular characters....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Rust wrote:
Romana could still be in E-Space.

The Rani also strikes me as someone who would survive. How I have no idea, but if anyone could.
According to some reports the Rani escaped the destruction of Gallifrey, regenerated and then crossed her own timeline to meet her past self, and then the duo travelled to 1970s England and starred in a BBC sitcom called "The Two Ranis" Smile
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:07 pm

I still like to believe that Romana was the woman in white from The End of Time. Susan, on the other hand, seems content to live as a human on earth.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
I still like to believe that Romana was the woman in white from The End of Time. Susan, on the other hand, seems content to live as a human on earth.
I think it was strongly implied that the Woman in White was the Doctor's mother. I certainly hope that Romana escaped Gallifrey; as Rassilon was Lord President again she could have traveled off world after leaving office.

In the Big Finish Universe, Juliet Landau plays Romana 3, and I'd certainly love to see her in the actual series.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
I still like to believe that Romana was the woman in white from The End of Time.
Since The Name of the Doctor, I tend to view the Woman in White as Gallifreyian Clara, who helped the first Doctor pick his TARDIS so long ago...
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 pm

The Gene Lantern wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
I think it was strongly implied that the Woman in White was the Doctor's mother.  I certainly hope that Romana escaped Gallifrey; as Rassilon was Lord President again she could have traveled off world after leaving office.

In the Big Finish Universe, Juliet Landau plays Romana 3, and I'd certainly love to see her in the actual series.

True. I've seen a few interviews with RTD where he said he intended her to be his mother, but the other EPs at the time both insisted it was Romana. And I believe Steve Moffat joked around that it was clearly Flavia. ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm annoyed that headlines on some sites spoiled McGann's return before I got a chance to watch it. It was nice to see Karn again too. "Give me a magic potion to regenerate me into a warrior" is a tad goofy though.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
"Give me a magic potion to regenerate me into a warrior" is a tad goofy though.
I dug it simply for the nostalgia factor. A potion that triggers specific regenerations? That sounds totally like something Classic Doctor Who would have done.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 9:45 pm

I thought it less of a true "regeneration" and more of a Karn potion to "change" him in order to fight a war he was unwilling to fight.  

So I see the War Doctor to be a "changed" 8th Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 9:48 pm

That's how I kinda looked at it too, but at the same time the Head Sister specifically used the term "regenerate".

Mostly because 8 was dead and only through the arts of the Sisterhood were they even able to bring him back for four minutes.

I so hope the Sisterhood doesn't fade back into obscurity. I loved pretty much all the Head Sister's lines.

"Young or old? Wise or Angry? What do you need now?"

"You have so little breath left. Use it wisely."
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Rust wrote:

"Young or old? Wise or Angry? What do you need now?"

"You have so little breath left. Use it wisely."
Don't forget "man or woman"!!
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 am

SeaDevil wrote:
I thought it less of a true "regeneration" and more of a Karn potion to "change" him in order to fight a war he was unwilling to fight.  

So I see the War Doctor to be a "changed" 8th Doctor.
I agree. The whole thing reminded me of Jekyll and Hyde. I'd like to think the anniversary episode will show a dying War Doctor reverting back to a dying Eighth, but I'm not counting on it. Given that "Night of the Doctor" is not part of the actual episode, it may signal that the War Doctor's origin is not integral to the resolution of the plot.

Still, why wouldn't the Moff have this great segment lead off the anniversary episode? Was he afraid McGann would make Smith and Tennant look like crap in comparison? Would McGann not wear the fez?scratch
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:56 am

Rust wrote:
That's how I kinda looked at it too, but at the same time the Head Sister specifically used the term "regenerate".

Mostly because 8 was dead and only through the arts of the Sisterhood were they even able to bring him back for four minutes.

That was never independently verified. Wink  We saw an apparently lifeless Doctor, but for everything else we have only the Head Sister's word to go on. If that scene had been in the actual anniversary episode, I'd be suspicious of a Sisterhood plot. Particularly as the Doctor ended up with a potion the Head Sister prepared herself. Maybe he would have received that potion no matter what he "chose" to become. Hmmm...

But if this segment really was just something extra for the fans, maybe not. The Moff wouldn't put an important plot point in an online video that not everyone might see before the anniversary episode, would he?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Night of the Doctor   The Night of the Doctor - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:59 am

Normally, I'd be right there in terms of suspecting the Sisterhood's motives, but the actress playing the Head Sister sold the desperation of the situation quite well I thought.

This was the Sisterhood being altruistic. Even the Doctor remarks on the unlikeliness of this, but as the Sister points out it's not just Gallifrey, Skaro, or even Karn at stake...it's the whole of creation (And with the Time Lords preparing to end Time Itself and the Daleks working on a Reality Bomb...that's not exaggeration).

The Doctor was the one individual in a position to do anything about the conflict, but he couldn't act. Not as he was. So he needed their help (whether he knew it or not) to put the Doctor way and become The Oncoming Storm.
Back to top Go down

The Night of the Doctor
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2