jonwes
Just Scott
Ronpur
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Watching what Moff said on this special, am I understanding this right that there were no auditions, and they filmed scenes to convince everyone else that Peter was right for the role?

I would not use the word "convince" but it sounds like they did film a scene as him as the Doctor and then showed it to the people that needed to be "in on the decision".

There are very few people "in on the decision" IE know who the Doctor will be before its announced to the public.

Cant wait to find out what his costume will be!!!!

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 54381410
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:03 am

That video makes me feel really good about Capaldi. When I heard it was him, I wasn't really enthused since people had already called it. I would have preferred if it had been someone way out of the blue. (This is the first new Doctor announcement since I got into Doctor Who, Matt had been announced when I saw my first episode.) But hey, I think Peter will do great.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 am

This is a HUGE step in the right direction. No longer will the actor's youth be a stumbling block for viewers to believe that he is 'mature'. I have been saying this since 2005, that an older Doc would be cool. Hopefully we can get some of the 'father/daughter' dynamic going again with Peter and Jenna. Sort of like 3/Jo, or 7/Ace.

Speaking of Ace, how cool would it be to have another sneaky 'chessmaster' style Doc?
Back to top Go down
AJinHarlan
AJinHarlan

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2013-02-19

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:22 am

Scary wrote:
IT'S PETER CAPALDI! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOO SOOO SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED! I really can't wait for this! He's gonna be a much more serious and mature Doctor and I really can't wait. Honestly, I've NEVER been so excited for something to do with Doctor Who!! This is PERFECT! DOCTOR WHO IS SAVED! cheers

Bring on the Christmas special!!

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Crazy-dance

PERFECT POST IS PERFECT!!!

~
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1495
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:19 am

Ronpur wrote:
Watching what Moff said on this special, am I understanding this right that there were no auditions, and they filmed scenes to convince everyone else that Peter was right for the role?

He went over to Steven Moffats house and filmed a sequence which was shown to those that needed to see it, i reckon the BBC bosses.

As Peter Capaldi is an older actor this should (I hope) put an end to the companion snogging the Doctor!
Back to top Go down
http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 am

Ianotimelord wrote:

As Peter Capaldi is an older actor this should (I hope) put an end to the companion snogging the Doctor!

Incidentally, that's the primary complaint people are having about Capaldi.

Caution, language and hatred ahead:

TOO OLD! NOT GOOD LOOKING ENOUGH!
"How am I to buy a Doctor Who Poster without feeling uncomfortable getting changed in front of it?"
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 am

Rust wrote:
Ianotimelord wrote:

Incidentally, that's the primary complaint people are having about Capaldi.

Caution, language and hatred ahead:

TOO OLD! NOT GOOD LOOKING ENOUGH!
"How am I to buy a Doctor Who Poster without feeling uncomfortable getting changed in front of it?"

People are moaning already??
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 am

I get a kick out of the one demanding Tennant back. I don't know why, but it amuses me to no end to see some people still banging that particular drum.
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 am

Well he is coming back in about 3 months time!Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Jackknight
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am

Twisted Evil 

twelfthdoctor.avi
Back to top Go down
http://CriticalMess.net
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am

Jackknight wrote:
Twisted Evil 

twelfthdoctor.avi

Tell her bye!  Or ef-itty bye! LOL
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 am

Oh, no no, crazy Doctor Who fandom. Getting Peter Capaldi (now that I actually realize who he is) is quite cool. It's a much needed change of pace this time.

And as JillyMcBop on Twitter said (pointed out to me by my friend Jami):
JillyMcBop wrote:
When people say "Peter Capaldi is really old and stuff, ew"
peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 BQ3zoKqCYAAi9LE
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am

Quote :
twelfthdoctor.avi

Hey ho!......Bugs Bunny's love child disapproves of Capaldi in the role.

I guess the 1 Direction/Twilight generation will have to get used to the fact that the older - more "mature" generation have claimed their show back!!

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Dancingdr_zps02cc0855

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Bahaha-2_zpse9556f40

NOTE: I, of course, use the term "mature" loosely! bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 am

So the fandom jettisons a lot of shallow "fans". No huge loss for the franchise.

Speaking as a Heterosexual Male though, I don't understand the complaints. Peter Capaldi is looking dang good for a man in his mid-50s, and he's got a charisma about him. Honestly? Initial Impression strikes me as almost Pertwee-like.

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

Also, he is a life long Whovian. Wrote a letter to Radio Times in 73, and an article for Dr Who Fan Club newsletter in 76. I have a Facebook rant I would like to quote, by yours truly:

'Laughing my What a Face  off at the fangirl hate towards the 'old dude' who is going to be replacing Matt Smith. For your information, a lot of the Classic Doctors were older, and their adventures were just as fun as any David Tennant ep, if not better. If you were just in the fandom because the Doctor was hot, then good riddance. Don't let the door hit you in the What a Face  on the way out. Doctor Who was never Twilight, and it never will be. Thank you, Moffat.'
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 am

Rust wrote:
So the fandom jettisons a lot of shallow "fans". No huge loss for the franchise.

And the fangirls who are left will have more daddy issues than a bus full of strippers.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:49 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Rust wrote:

And the fangirls who are left will have more daddy issues than a bus full of strippers.

HAHA

I find it so annoying that people post negative comment with out even seeing him in the role of the Doctor!! How absurd.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 pm

And he's inheriting one heck of a status quo shift.

The Daleks don't know him any more and the Cybermen are infinitely more deadly then they once were.

Ooo. I wonder if they'll get Matt Smith to guest role as the Cyber Planner/Mister Clever in the future?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 pm

1st Doctor Fan??

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Peter10
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm

He will totally make the role his own! He may even throw a few "mannerisms" into the mix. I'd love to see a sprinkle of Tom with a dash of Hartnell & hint of Pertwee!!

bounce cheers bounce 
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Just Scott wrote:
He will totally make the role his own! He may even throw a few "mannerisms" into the mix. I'd love to see a sprinkle of Tom with a dash of Hartnell & hint of Pertwee!!

bounce cheers bounce 

A little tom??

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Peter_10
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Now I'm even more sad that Richard Grant ended up as the Great Intelligence.

Can you imagine a series with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and Richard Grand as the Master?
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm

No idea who this person is but does it matter? No!!!! Carry on Doctor Who...... Laughing 

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:42 pm

All day Sunday afternoon the American Whovians were glued to their TVs as we waited the announcement of the actor who would take over for Matt Smith as The Doctor. Vegas odds were that Peter Capaldi was the man of the hour, and Vegas turned out to be right, he strode out onstage to thunderous applause.
Capaldi has twice been involved with Doctor Who before, as Caecilius in "The Fires of Pompeii" and John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth. There's plenty of precedent for Capaldi's casting. Colin Baker appeared as Commander Maxil in "Arc of Infinity" and David Tennant made his initial debut in a Seventh Doctor audio story.

The most remarkable thing about Capaldi is his age. At 55 he is the oldest modern Doctor by 14 years, and is in fact the same age as William Hartnell when he first assumed the role in 1963. This is a great shake-up. Since the original series ended The Doctor has been young and somewhat romantic. Paul McGann was 36, Christopher Eccleston 41, David Tennant 34, and Matt Smith was the youngest Doctor ever at 26.

I for one am really looking forward to having an older Doctor for the following reasons...

5. The Doctor's Sex Life Is Played Out: The Eighth Doctor was the first to kiss a companion romantically, and frankly ever since that moment there has been a great deal of focus on how much his female companions (And Jack) have been head over heels in love with him. Even with platonic relationships like with Donna a possible relationship was still a frequent focus of other characters.

There's no reason to not explore that aspect of The Doctor, but we have literally been doing it since 1996. It's going to be quite a while before another love story on the level of Rose's comes along, and having an older Doctor will help put some distance between the character and constant infatuation.

4. A Father Figure Doctor is Awesome: If you go back to the last couple of Hartnell seasons or the episodes with Seven and Ace you get a really wonderful look at The Doctor as someone that feels at home taking care of others like a father does. The character is capable of such great compassion and strength in that regard, and even though someone like Matt Smith can pull that off very well it has a lot more verve coming from someone whose age shows in his face rather than just in the eyes.

This is a great opportunity for an audience to feel like The Doctor is more than an imaginary friend or an action hero. This is The Doctor that you can believe will make everything all right because that's what a parent does.

3. He's a Much More Believable Badass: The Doctor is always badass, but he's rarely old Batman in Dark Knight Returns badass. If you don't mind hearing a whole lot of f-bombs, that video up there shows how much gravitas an older man can bring to the already considerable power of The Doctor.

After all, let's remember that the undeniably most physically engaging Doctor of all 12 was Jon Pertwee, and he was 54 when he first stepped into the Tardis. In a world where more and more of our action heroes are being portrayed by men in their 40s and 50s, Capaldi is bringing back a very classic kind of protagonist that has rarely been seen since the '70s.

2. Everyone Will Take Him More Seriously: There is an inherent goofiness about the three reboot Doctors. No matter what people initially tend to distrust them because they were a goofy thug, a grinning idiot with big teeth, and a prat in a bowtie respectively. Sure, once it became clear that he was The Doctor people stood up and took notice, but there was always that first moment of, "Who's the weird kid?"

Capaldi, on the other hand, that's someone who can strut in like he owns the place and people will actually wonder if he does. It'll be more like how Patrick Troughton would be so quick to impersonate officials and people would automatically defer to him because even in his hobo clothes he was old enough and had enough of a presence to come across as someone in charge.

1. 'Cause He is Still The Doctor: So... Twitter exploded with hundreds of tweets, and a pretty significant number of them we're variants on "Ugh, who is the old guy? Not watching any more." This sort of thing makes me hang my head.

I understand that for a lot of people the idea of The Doctor as he was for a large part of the original series seems dated, silly, and most of all boring. I get that. People love the modern Doctor, with all the snogging, flirting, and stuff like that.

But there is more to it than that, and if the show is going to survive it has to keep changing. "Life depends on change... and renewable" as Troughton said himself in his very first adventure taking over for Hartnell. This is a drastic shift for Doctor Who, and we'll never know if it was what the show needed if we don't give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!   peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:44 pm

I was saying (kind of in the wrong way) that if they were going to go for an older Doctor, it needed to be someone like Jon Pertwee. And it looks like Peter C. is just that type.
Back to top Go down

peter capaldi is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next