12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Doctor Who "Versus" Game Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:04 pm

This is a game that I will start on every few days. I start the "versus" and Whovians (thats you) can debate (NICELY!) about which person/topic is (better,smarter,greater companion, better enemy...ect.)
You get my point. I will start the beginning versus this morning and check back in when 3-4 days have passed and then I can start a new Doctor Who versus. In honor of this weeks season finale, I will begin the debate.
On your marks
get set
Go Gallifreyan Debaters!

Knowing the Doctors name affraid

Versus

NOT knowing the doctors name....... Very Happy

which do you prefer and why? Suspect Question
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Don't wanna know.

The mystery is a huge part of the show. Giving it away takes the "who" out of Doctor Who.

It would kill the show for me.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 15, 2013 1:19 pm

"Doctor" is his chosen name - what does it matter what his real given name is? Much like "Master" is the chosen name of his arch nemesis, it really does not matter (to me) what his real name is prior to becoming the "Master".

What I would like to know is why are they chosing such terms as their chosen name? Does the chosen name bear any significance to their future role in the universe? The Doctor heals, the Master dominates? Since I am relatively new to Doctor Who (converted by marriage) can someone enlighten me? These names seem like the name they get to choose for themselves at the coming of age in Gallifrey (much like Chinese people chosing an Anglo name when they get baptized!). Bear in mind that the Doctor chose his name from the very beginning, way before the Time War.

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Not knowing the REAL name of the doctor

Would remove the basic premise of the show, one of the original key elements that has kept it going for fifty years.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:18 pm

davro wrote:
Not knowing the REAL name of the doctor

Would remove the basic premise of the show, one of the original key elements that has kept it going for fifty years.

Yep. Starting next year, the programme will be titled Doctor Phil.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:56 am

Knowing the Doctor's "name" is like knowing he's half-human on his mother's side. The show's next production team would likely put the former bit of information in the same circular file in which RTD put the latter bit.
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Interesting reads guys, waiting on a couple more posts on what some Whovians think. I have to agree with SeaDevil,
personally, for me, knowing the Doctor's name would really take away from the show and I would literally be devastated. But the thing is that I keep seeing articles posted saying Moffat's episode this weekend will change the show forever. You know what I got out of that? He's trying to scare Whovians again and the show will continue, theyre not really going to confess (can they? Evil or Very Mad MOFFAT!!!!!!)...that's just what I got out of it. Please, no spoilers, I know some of the Whovians here are from the UK whereas the rest of us are from the States!
Beginning on my Monday of next week I will post a new versus! Keep posting.

"Knowing the Doctors name versus Not knowing the Doctors name." <-- this past weeks debate.

Last edited by CompanionGallifrey42211 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:49 pm

I think most of us are from here in the states, we have a few from other countries with travel visa's for the forum.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptySat May 18, 2013 3:38 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I think most of us are from here in the states, we have a few from other countries with travel visa's for the forum.

I have been in the USA for almost 10 years but born and raised English.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptySat May 18, 2013 4:51 am

I agree with Jany. The Doctor's real name remaining a mystery has never been a crucial element of the show for me. I just don't care what it is. As far as I was concerned his real name has always been The Doctor. I predict the reveal will be very anticlimactic.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptySat May 18, 2013 4:58 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I agree with Jany. The Doctor's real name remaining a mystery has never been a crucial element of the show for me. I just don't care what it is. As far as I was concerned his real name has always been The Doctor. I predict the reveal will be very anticlimactic.

First name: The
Last name: Doctor

?

Oh well if the reveal his name... let's say its Tom Tit, then there is no need for the show to be called Doctor Who because the secret will be out. They better change the name of the show to what ever his name may be.

This is all a hyped up teaser anyway, they won't reveal anything I bet you.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:46 am

In the episode "The Time of Angels," the Doctor finds writing in Old High Gallifreyan and says "There were days, there were many days, these words could burn stars and raise up empires, and topple gods."

I suspect that the Doctor's name might actually be in Old High Gallifreyan and he never uses it because when it's spoken, it could cause something devastating to happen.

I've had this theory ever since The Wedding of River Song.
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptySat May 18, 2013 5:05 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
In the episode "The Time of Angels," the Doctor finds writing in Old High Gallifreyan and says "There were days, there were many days, these words could burn stars and raise up empires, and topple gods."

I suspect that the Doctor's name might actually be in Old High Gallifreyan and he never uses it because when it's spoken, it could cause something devastating to happen.

I've had this theory ever since The Wedding of River Song.

I like your theory, I was actually thinking about that last night. (Not the devastating point of the theory but the written in High Gallifreyan part.... Im trying my best not to read spoilers on Facebook. Some of the British Fandom pages are already revealing them. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyMon May 20, 2013 11:45 am

And the NEW week versus game begins.....

David Tennant Versus Matt Smith...

Remember, nice language and debate.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyMon May 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Neither are Jon Pertwee!! I am really interested in how their Doctors get along in November.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyMon May 20, 2013 5:48 pm

They are both amazing actors!

LOVE ALL THE DOCTORS!!!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Neither are Jon Pertwee!!

Amen, brother!

I prefer Tennant to Smith, myself.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Tennant.

He actually was in one series that was solidly written. That puts him over Smith easily.

But the Ecc man beats both of them Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Captain Ironmac
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyTue May 21, 2013 5:41 am

every incarnation of the doctor has had his own, good points and bad.

so picking one wouldn't be fair. so I like every doctor.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:05 am

Splendid Chaps.....All of them.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:41 am

Each doctor has good points and bad points...

If it was "desert island doctors" where I was stuck on a desert island and could only have one Doctor to watch out of David and Matt... its Matt all the way, he is by far the most Classic'ish Doctor we have seen since NewWho began and I'm a Classic Kinda Guy.
Back to top Go down
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyTue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

I could tell Davro, you're more classic Doctor as seeing youre profile picture and past posts. Interesting comments, good debate- mostly positive reviews. How about we continue the game and go onto the the next debate topic since this one had multiples already.
I too am excited how ten and eleven are going to react to meeting each other. I honestly am way to impatient, wishing my summer away just for the episodes.

OKAY NEXT DEBATE TOPIC::::

Clara versus Amy Pond
Who do you prefer, why do you like that companion and who was the better companion?

My statement to start of the debate::
First of all I love Clara and Amy both but Amy was one of my favorites of Smith's companions. I really miss Amy because I had watched her and Rory with the Doctor more often. Clara has been growing on me but her acting is more "new" where as I found that the Doctor's past companions had that time lord feel to them. (Meaning: they were classic and acted like the Doctors they were with.)

ON YOUR MARK
GET SET
GO GALLIFREYAN!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Clara versus Amy Pond

CLARA!!

Amy was fun and a good companion.... soooo much more enjoyable to watch than Rose or Donna (Cannot stand them) but With the Amy and Rory saga turned Doctor Who into to some kind of soap opera in space and that was not very enjoyable for me.

Clara is much more of a classic style companion, yes she has been a mystery to the Doctor (and us) for the last series but the onscreen chemistry flows with ease.
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1495
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 22, 2013 1:29 am

Not knowing. The show is called Doctor Who. Its not a question, even though JNT had put question marks on the 80's Doctors costumes.

If we knew his name then the show couldn't be called Doctor Who, instead Doctor Fred, or Gallifrey.

Back to top Go down
http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who "Versus" Game   Doctor Who "Versus" Game EmptyWed May 22, 2013 3:14 am

Ianotimelord wrote:
Not knowing. The show is called Doctor Who. Its not a question, even though JNT had put question marks on the 80's Doctors costumes.

If we knew his name then the show couldn't be called Doctor Who, instead Doctor Fred, or Gallifrey.

Catch up Ian hehe
were now onto Clara versus Amy Pond HAHA
Back to top Go down

Doctor Who "Versus" Game
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next