Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

121 - Earthshock Empty
PostSubject: 121 - Earthshock   121 - Earthshock EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

121 - Earthshock Empty
PostSubject: Re: 121 - Earthshock   121 - Earthshock EmptyThu Dec 21, 2017 6:43 pm

One of the best ever.  Notable for several things, including the return of the Cybermen after a seven year absence, and the surprise death of a companion.

As this serial starts, Adric is sick of the bickering and being picked on, and frankly so was I by this point.  Ever since the Fifth Doctor's era began, I thought he had been treated badly, compared to his relationship with the Fourth Doctor.  Whereas the Fourth Doctor treated Adric as a trusted pupil of sorts, the Fifth Doctor and Tegan, and to a much lesser degree Nyssa, treated him poorly with their sniping, humiliations, and lack of respect.  At least he got an heroic exit from the series.

The "new look" Cybermen look fantastic and would remain largely this basic design throughout the 80's with only a few tweaks.  One particularly neat aspect of this design is the clear jaw on the helmet, allowing us to see the actor's jaw move as he speaks.

Another thing about this one I love is Beryl Reid as Captain Briggs.  I don't know what it is about her performance, but its somehow perfect given all the chaos going on about the ship.

A real thriller and highly recommended, or as the Cyberleader would say..."Excellent...!"
Back to top Go down

121 - Earthshock
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season Nineteen - Fifth Doctor-
Jump to: