20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

084 - The Brain of Morbius Empty
PostSubject: 084 - The Brain of Morbius   084 - The Brain of Morbius EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 084 - The Brain of Morbius   084 - The Brain of Morbius EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Some nice creepy vibes in this story, with very clear 'Frankenstein and his monster' elements for sure, which I liked. Really quite liked Solem's character, too.

Morbius has a great costume design and he's definitely quite creepy, however, I feel we needed to know more about these supposed "war crimes" and more about him being a dictator to actually feel anything in regards to the threat of him being resurrected and let loose again. And again, although the Sisterhood were intriguing, we didn't know anything about what Morbius actually did against them other than that there was a "rebellion" against them. Because we didn't know vital info, there was a loss of connection to Morbius' character and thus the story, unfortunately.

However, I still quite enjoyed this; Solem steals the show I think. The Doctor doesn't have much to do and Sarah is a bit useless due to being blinded for most of the story, but as usual their chemistry is great to watch. The scene at the very beginning of the first episode when they land and the Doctor thinks it's the Time Lords forcing him to do more of their dirty work, and Sarah makes fun of him whilst he sulks and goes off to explore on her own. I love these two together.

All in all, it's an alright story, but nothing special. If more had been disclosed about key characters, the threats would feel more real and therefore the story would actually then feel engaging. I think that's what let's this otherwise good story down.

3/5. bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 084 - The Brain of Morbius   084 - The Brain of Morbius EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 pm

It doesn't get more gothic horror than this. A creepy castle...with our heroes arriving in the rain no less...a "Doctor Frankenstein and his monster," a brain in a jar, and a coven of "witches."

Good stuff. The Sisterhood of Karn element of the story kind of slows the pacing down somewhat, but otherwise its quite engaging and spooky. The sets are great, the Morbius monster is impressive, and Philip Madoc gives his greatest DW performance ever as Dr. Solan.

I really like this one...but I'm a sucker for a good Frankenstein story.

Back to top Go down

084 - The Brain of Morbius
Page 1 of 1