20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

064 - The Time Monster Empty
PostSubject: 064 - The Time Monster   064 - The Time Monster EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 064 - The Time Monster   064 - The Time Monster EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

I only gave this one four stars for Roger Delgado and Ingrid Pitt.

Roger always brings his "A" game as the Master - even in a weak story such as this one, and Ingrid Pitt is perfectly cast as the schemer Queen Galleia. Aidan Murphy as Hippias is just awful, though. He delivers his lines with the same boredom we all feel in watching him.

The one thing that I still find hilarious is the use of the term TOMTIT, which stands for Transmission of Matter through Interstitial Time. Did no one else in the production meetings notice how this sounded?

Another story that could have used some trimming down. The Atlantean episodes really bring this down to a slow bore just when the story should be builing up to its climax, which is unfortunate, since the core of the story is pretty interesting and could have been realized so much better. It really is only worth watching for Deldago and Pitt, and their scenes together are golden.

SeaDevil

Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 064 - The Time Monster   064 - The Time Monster EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 11:43 am

Really enjoyed this story! Everyone was fantastic in this! I haven't a bad word to say, other than that it could perhaps have done without the padding of episode five, but honestly I loved this story.

There's loads of character right from the beginning, even from the guest cast - no shoddy acting either! Once again, some great interactions between the Doctor and Jo. And wow... The Master was brilliant in this story.

There were some great cliffhangers in this story, particularly episode three. It was brilliant to see the Brigadier sound genuinely concerned and upset for the safety of Yates and the rest of his men. Not everyday you get that from the Brig!

Ruth and Stewart were characterised and performed superbly. Not sure how to feel about Ruth's feminist remarks though... On the one hand, it's good to see a strong female character talking about gender issues in '70s Who, but on the other hand she's just as sexist as the next person with comments on the lines of "Oh you men are all the same," etc. But such is life I suppose...

Ignoring that though, this is a brilliant story that flows nicely and kept me entertained throughout. The ending made me smile, too. Full of great character and performances, and the plot is fun and enjoyable. Possibly my new favourite for the Pertwee era.

5/5. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

064 - The Time Monster
Page 1 of 1