Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

059 - The Dæmons Empty
PostSubject: 059 - The Dæmons   059 - The Dæmons EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

059 - The Dæmons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 059 - The Dæmons   059 - The Dæmons EmptyWed May 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Another all time classic.

Roger Delgado is especially good in this one - actually one his best. Actually, everybody in the regular cast has some great moments in this one. Particularly Nicholas Courtney and his immortal line of "Chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid."

Of the guest cast, i especially loved Damaris Hayman as Miss Hawthorne, the "white witch" who "cast the runes!" Stephen Thorne as Azal also is great with that huge voice of his.

Another one that feels Avengers-ish, but that's still ok by me. This is great Doctor Who serial in every way.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

059 - The Dæmons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 059 - The Dæmons   059 - The Dæmons EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Well, this is my favorite episode of all of Doctor Who. I love the small village setting, the real people who inhabit it (Miss Hawthorne!) and the interactions of the UNIT family with them. Sgt. Benton and Capt. Yates get a lot of action. The Brig gets out in the field and I love him at the barrier wall trying to pretend he knows what is happening with the Doctor's invention. There are just so many moments I love, Jo's concern for the injured Doctor, the weather cock trick, the Brig in his dress uniform, Benton and Yates watching football eating corn beef, the Master in his best evilness. And while the Brigadier's line Chap with wings has become associated with him, I think his last line of the series really defines his character..."thank you Captain Yates, but I'd rather have a pint."
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

059 - The Dæmons Empty
PostSubject: Re: 059 - The Dæmons   059 - The Dæmons EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 10:28 pm

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go against fan consensus here as I didn't really enjoy this one that much. It was by no means terrible but it wasn't amazing either. I was expecting the sort-of-satanist themes to be what would put me off, which I still wasn't a fan of, but it was actually that the story was just really quite boring. Not much happens and it didn't do anything for me. I don't have anything against simplistic plots because they do work, but this one felt too simple.

Personally, no one got any great, outstanding and memorable scenes in this story except the Brig. I wanted to enjoy this one because I'd heard a lot of good things about it, but unfortunately this story didn't deliver for me and I'm disappointed. I'd have liked to have seen more of Bok and Azal, and see them actually do more, too. Bok just runs around a couple of times, whilst Azal is out of frame for most of his scenes. They had potential to be cool villains but I think they were missed opportunities here. Azal's defeat was a bit of a cop-out and unimaginative, too.

My favourite bits were with the Brigadier, such as with the spectacled UNIT guy and the machine, the 'five rounds rapid' line and, as Ronpur mentioned, his last line was awesome! It was also nice to see Yates and Benton a bit more involved, but even then they still don't have much to do.

It wasn't an awful story at all and it had a few merits, but it was mostly just a bit 'meh' and disappointing for me.

2 stars, I think.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

059 - The Dæmons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season Eight - Third Doctor-
Jump to: