56% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

029 - The Tenth Planet Empty
PostSubject: 029 - The Tenth Planet   029 - The Tenth Planet EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 029 - The Tenth Planet   029 - The Tenth Planet EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Absolutely my favorite Cybermen. Their rather clunky, primitive costumes are actually quite effective really - stocking faces and all. They show how these first Cybermen really are us in ways subsequent versions didn't do as effectively with their helmets and metal suits. The voice modulations were very creepy as well.

The serial itself was very good, with William Hartnell being spot on, I thought.

I thought the regeneration was a well-done, mysterious affair - unlike any that followed, with the buildup that something was wrong, Ben and Polly rushing to get the Doctor back to the TARDIS, the flashing lights and TARDIS sound effects, and so forth. Highly dramatic, for the uninformed first time viewer, it must have been truly shocking to see him die and change.

One of my very favorites.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 029 - The Tenth Planet   029 - The Tenth Planet EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Great story! I really love these Cybermen!! Genuinely creepy and their threat felt real. The whole space base thing made it feel quite realistic, too, so the story was engaging. Even though this is a rather Doctor-lite story, when Hartnell is around he does a good job. I'm a bit sad that we didn't get to see much of him in his final story though, but the presence of the Cybermen makes up for it as they are really cool to watch and hear.

After now watching every Hartnell story (except 'The Celestial Toymaker' and 'The Smugglers'), I can say I'm going to thoroughly miss him as the Doctor. What a guy!! And oh how much he has changed and developed since 'An Unearthly Child'. It truly has been an awesome journey with him... But of course, it's far from being all over! It's Troughton time! bounce

4 stars from me. One of the best of the Hartnell era. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

029 - The Tenth Planet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season Four - First Doctor, Second Doctor-
Jump to: