SeaDevil
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" Empty
PostSubject: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am

The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" The-avengers-complete-52-disc-28db4The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" L

Who else here is a fan of bowler hats and catsuits?

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 am

ME ME ME!!! santa ( too many christmas trees)

My dad told me once that my mom used to watch the show. I wasn't even born yet.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 am

I've been watching it since I was a kid. Mom and Dad used to let me stay up late to watch it on CBS Late Night.

I cherish my DVDs and go through them every other year or so - even the criminally underrated New Avengers.

Loathe the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman movie though.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 am

Oh, the movie... gads... the very first time in my life that I exclaimed out loud in a theater.
Sean Connery is addressing a table-full of the Grateful Dead teddy bears and I said, "What the heck is going on?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 pm

I actually dig the movie. It retained the campy tone of the original series. It's a pity they won't release the director's cut with all the scenes they lopped out of it to make it less coherent.
The current Steed & Mrs. Peel comic series from Boom! has been solid thus far.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm rewatching the New Avengers repeats that are shown here on weekdays. It's definitely one of the coolest shows ever made and everyone SHOULD watch it, if you dig funky hi-hats and constant action then you'll never get bored watching any episode.
Bit of Dr Who Trivia = The Peter Cushing Dalek movies only Tardis prop appears in one of the episodes, sadly gets completely destroyed by a moving pram with a bomb!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 am

It's fun for me to watch The Avengers to see all the folks who also did Doctor Who. Not just the actors - but the writers and directors, too!

Oh...and don't forget - Sydney Newman created it, too.

Useless trivia - Jon Pertwee was in the first color episodes of both The Avengers and Doctor Who...

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 9:10 am

Exciting news from Big Finish...

Twelve of the missing episodes from the first series are to be turned into full-cast audio productions!!!

http://www.newsintimeandspace.net/2013/06/missing-avengers-episodes-audio-260613150117.html
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Hopefully they do well as I would love to see the rest of them done as well.  One hopes this is part of a trnd and perhaps we could get the missing episdoes of Adam Adamant Lives done while the principle actors are still alive
Back to top Go down
John Johnson
John Johnson

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 am

I believe the R1 DVD release of The New Avengers is deleted, although the R2 UK set is still available, although the quality is not of the prints used are not that great. Perhaps one day, they might be given the same treatment The Avengers boxsets were given by Optimum.
Back to top Go down
John Johnson
John Johnson

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:12 am

I always liked The Avengers, which includes the film, which I always though got a raw deal from the fans. The Teddy Bear scene for instance, was quite silly, but in Avengersland, it doesn't look out of place. I was never a great fan of the Tara King episodes, although the one episode I did like was 'Killer', probably because Linda Thorsen was hardly in it. The replacement character Lady Diana Forbes-Blakeney (Jennifer Croxton), was more my idea of what an Avengers girl should be. Pity they didn't use here in more episodes. Still, less is more. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 pm

I just sold my Avengers special card #81 of 100 on feepay for over $200.00 this weekend, so I am a happy man!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Sadly...Patrick Macnee passed away today at the age of 93.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/patrick-macnee-star-of-1960s-tv-series-the-avengers-dies/ar-AAc8kCw?ocid=iehp
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Oh no,this has been a bad few weeks.....
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Thought I'd snap a pic of these...among my favorite Avengers collectibles...

The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" 15062510
Back to top Go down
John Johnson
John Johnson

PostSubject: Re: The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"   The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction" EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 5:00 pm

The Avengers has been repeated on the COZI TV channel for some time now. The colour Diana Rigg episodes sadly, have the beginnings chopped from the main titles.

Back to top Go down

The Avengers - British "spy-ence fiction"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: