5 posters
AuthorMessage
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Normally we think of the Doctor travelling the universe and saving people. But there have been a couple instances where the Doctor shows up to save the day, yet every single guest actor ends up dead by the end of the story. Such an odd conclusion to a "family" TV show, but somehow I've enjoyed all these stories.

Horror of Fang Rock: everyone is dead by the end and the Doctor and Leela slip off

Attack of the Cybermen: I can't think of anyone who survives the final episode. The Doctor and Peri escape, but all the rest seem to get gunned down. Do any Cryons survive?

Pyramids of Mars: Sutekh is plunged to eternal doom in the Time Corridor. I think everyone else is dead by the end.

Any more that I haven't thought of? No UNIT troopers or guards/villagers/slaves left milling about after the Doctor has defeated the bad guys and "saved the day".
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Well, maybe everyone who was involved in those incidents was sacrificed, but the rest of Earth was saved.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Resurrection of the Daleks, higher detah count than the terminator. I suppose it might not count due to lytton and the two policemen walking off.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm

Resurrection of the Daleks does have Lytton living. Otherwise I agree it is a pretty greusome kill-fest.
Robots of Death has three crew members surviving.
The Chase - no one survives the Mary Celeste interlude and at the end only Steven escapes the Mechanoid City (to become a companion), but lots of other folks like Morton Dill and the desert fish people survive.
Hand of Fear - all the rock people are dead, but the quarry workers and that clueless physician still are alive.
Earthshock - a couple crew make it to an escape pod (in 65 million B.C.?) even if Adric missed his chance. All the dinos do perish (or become birds).

Nothing at all wrong with the Doctor saving Earth and all of humanity and we expect a couple folks are going to perish. But these are a few episodes where the Doctor shows up "all heck breaks loose" and everyone dies, and the Doctor quietly slips away with no one ever knowing his contribution. Not the kind of contribution you'd want to defend in a court case, but we know the Doctor is always trying his hardest even if no one is still alive to say "thanks".

Has the new series ever had a story like this? There are some deaths, but for the most part the guest actors are still breathing by the finish. Even the first new-Dalek story "Dalek" has some of the Utah personell living despite the high body count.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Thats the impression I have... one of the reasons why I think Nu Who is slanted more for the kiddos than classic Who was.

I dont think we will see a Nu Who companion die. No serious injuries. We don't even get death scenes for regenerations anymore.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 pm

And Inferno, An alternate Earth dies. That may have been the highest body count!
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 pm

"The Big Bang" had everyone (except the TARDIS crew) in the whole universe die, but Nu Who managed to bring everyone back to life just in time for a wedding.

I guess it really takes a Robert Holmes or Eric Seward to keep people dead.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Fires of Pompeii-
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 am

greenk9 wrote:
Fires of Pompeii-

Ah, good one. Not only did everyone die, the Doctor pressed the button to kill them!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Everyone Dies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Everyone Dies?   Everyone Dies? EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

He did save a family in that story though, demonstrating that sometimes the rules can be broken.
Back to top Go down

Everyone Dies?
Page 1 of 1