mattmanw54301
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Do you think the Doctor has a right to kill bad guys? I was just reading the debate in DWM, and I thought it would be interesting to see where ppl here came down on this issue.

We all know that the Doctor is a man of peace, but he has had to use violence to resolve issues. Do you think that he needs someone to keep his vengeful side contained? Did you think that what happened at the end of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was good or bad? Are there some villains that are bad enough that the Doctor should just let them die?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Definitely.

There are instances when the Doc in classic Who by action or inaction caused the deaths of others. He's already a killer.

In some cases he was too lenient and came back to haunt him later on.

Hesitating on wiping out the Daleks in Genesis, not giving The Master over to Kronos...

I actually prefer the Doc when he goes dark side, and companions that can mix it up too, like Leela and Ace.

Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Yeah, the Doctor's always had some blood on his hands. Troughton's Doctor didn't even blink when it came to directing a Ice Warrior fleet into the Sun. That's only increased since the Time War.

I don't mind the Doctor's dark side, or even companions getting a bit dark, but I also like those that temper the Doctor's excess. Donna remains one of my favorite companions simply because she did this for 10.

"Doctor?

You can stop now."
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

It's interesting to his darkside once in a while, I agree, but I don't believe for a second that he has the right to kill anyone. Second chances and forgiveness, etc! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Anonymous

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 pm

"This one knows me, as I know him, the Killer of his own kind."

'nuff said.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Personally I think it depends on the situation. Obviously he is going to try to have everyone live, but characters like Solomon are so nasty that once in a while it's nice to see the modern Doctors lose their temper.

I keep going back to that 2nd Doc story where he destroys the whole Ice Warrior fleet. Chilling, and yet, what choice did he have?

The 6th seemed callous at some points, the 'acid bath' scene from Varos springing to mind.

The 7th Doc's best trait, IMO, was that he didn't just defeat the villains, in some cases he punished them as well. Skaro being an example, and lately in the BF audios he has set out to punish those he sees as 'evil'. The story 'Protect and Survive' had my jaw on the floor more than once.

With all of them, I think some villains just catch them on the wrong day. You make him mad enough, under the right circumstances, and you're toast. That's the way it is, and I think that's just fine. If everyone knew that he never killed his enemies, they would all attack alot more often.

Of course it is a last resort, but sometimes the evil he faces requires an extreme solution.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 pm

For me, the culmination of the Doctor's character came from the warning he issued Mr. Finch in School Reunion. Beautiful scene, that. I was trying to find a video of it, but no dice.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm so old now. I used to have so much mercy.

You get one warning. That was it.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

I liked how Doctor number 9 just stood there while Cassandra was going splat.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Let's never forget how Billy Hartnell almost bashed a caveman's head in.

... My gosh, that's where it all comes from. The Doctor can be a cruel and heartless guy sometimes, unless he has someone to stop him, whether it's Ian Chesterton, Sarah Jane, Donna Noble, or Amy Pond...
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 am

Sometimes kind words and second chances aren't enough. He has to look at the greater danger. Solomon was unredeemable and his actions would have been catastrophic. The Doctor had to save us.

I will say that mostly the Doctor gives baddies a chance - even Solomon - to change. Their refusal to do so seals their fates.
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I've always sort of liked the way it occasionally goes down with 9, 10, & 11 where The Doctor gives the bad guy(s)/gal(s) the opportunity to just walk away and live another day. It's almost as if he's giving them a chance, but he knows the decision they're going to make so it's more for his own benefit than that of the enemy.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Like in that Sontaran ep from season 4, where Tenant is like 'I've got to give them a choice.'

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Doctor's Rage Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Doctor's Rage   The Doctor's Rage EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 am

Hasn't the 8th Doctor terminated some villain?

~
Back to top Go down

The Doctor's Rage
Page 1 of 1