2 posters
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Cloud Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Cloud Atlas   Cloud Atlas EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Anyone see this? I had read the book and loved it.

Overall, it's wonderfully ambitious movie. And, overall, I think it accomplishes them. There is a lot of humanity and beauty in this movie. If it doesn't quite reach some of the emotional heights of the book, it does make up for it somewhat in the way it's visualized. The way the film is cut is surprisingly effective, and although some details and subplots are lost from the book they cover the bulk of it admirably. I found the use of the same actors to be wonderfully affective in some instances, but distracting in others. It's one of the films failings, I guess, when you start seeing some slightly off-looking people who you later realize is a familiar actor under loads of makeup. Sometimes these moments just feel like a gimmick. A gimmick the film really didn't need. But other than that, I was very pleased overall. I hope more audiences embrace the movie, as a lot of the power fo David Mitchell's book really comes through.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Cloud Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloud Atlas   Cloud Atlas EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:14 pm

I haven't read the book yet but I enjoyed the movie. My favorite story was The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish. I find Tom Hanks insipid, but he was bearable when talking with ridiculous accents. It's good to know that regardless of when you try to subvert the natural order of things, there will be a Hugo Weaving to oppose you.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

Cloud Atlas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: