22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

General Star Trek thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 pm

SFDebris has a wonderful Opinionated Look at the whole of Star Trek, and he drew similar parallels.

The Federation from the TOS Movie Line was fairly disciplined and military minded, because a galactic war with the Klingons was always right around the corner. It was a natural extension of the TOS show days, where the hostilities with the Klingons were constantly on the rise and Starfleet couldn't afford to not protect its interests.

The Federation from TNG was the byproduct of the Khitomer Accords. To be blunt, Fat, Lazy, and too dang sure of themselves. They were smarter, they were wittier, they were wiser...they were Elves. Oh sure, some conflict still occurred, but it was fairly localized affairs and the Federation as a whole was never affected before Wolf 359.

The Federation started to wake up there (When you would have thought they would have woken up after the events of The Invasion), but it was still a solitary enemy they had to face. All their offensive R&D went into counteracting the Borg's adaptivity.

Then came the Dominion, and that rocked the Federation's preconceived notions to their very foundation. A Sundering of the Elves, if you will.

And yeah, The Emissary was a great pilot. Sisko's interaction with the Prophets is arguably how the D Crew's interaction with the Q should have been.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:20 pm

If only!!

General Star Trek thread - Page 8 Untitled_zps1530b1af
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Yes, very nice!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 am

Least he chose to use Shatner and Nemoy's likeness.
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Nicely imagined and great Art!
I think it'll be even cooler if it was just Kirk and Spock blazing against the opposition.
How about, the two Star Trek dudes manage to steal the Tardis and have their own adventures and turn rebellious against any opposition, (even the FEDERATION), lol.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

masterkhan wrote:
I think it'll be even cooler if it was just Kirk and Spock blazing against the opposition.
How about, the two Star Trek dudes manage to steal the Tardis and have their own adventures and turn rebellious against any opposition, (even the FEDERATION), lol.

The later TNG era Starfleet would have their equivalent of wanted posters with "Federation Enemy Number One" under a picture of Tom Baker, perhaps. Though I feel the Prime Directive is overrated, cowardly and way to flawed.

If a world needs help, help them, to heck with 'culture shock', civilizations, including us humans, need a kick in the complacency. The TNG Episodes First Contact, Pen Pals, and Who Watches the Watchers, and the episode where Worf's brother gets in big trouble for saving a lesser civilization from destruction are prime examples and I really get steamed watching them.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 pm

masterkhan wrote:
Great art, just odd to see the Doctor and Amy rushing out to battle their enemies! Kirk and Spock are enough, or even Kirk and Spock rushing to rescue the Doctor.
And Star Trek aways needed a few more enemies where the Prime Directive isn't applicable (like those thieving Borg). I'll give it to Mr. Roddenbury that the Prime Directive is one of the most enduring and best thought-out ideas to come out of the original series. There were (and still are) a lot of rabid, military-idustrial, hawks out there that want nothing more to Americanize the rest of our world to save them. These days we've got more of the same with hypocritical politicians who want the U.S. government to impose our ideas on others for their own good. Roddenberry had a truly subversive yet courageous mind to create the Prime Directive at a time when JFK and Johnson were spreading our American war of terror across Asia and the Middle East. We made a whole lot of enemies across this planet in the name of trying to help.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 pm

I am surprised Kirk ain't taking time out to put the moves on Amy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I am surprised Kirk ain't taking time out to put the moves on Amy. Wink

He wouldn't need to. Amy would be the one trying to mack on him. Shocked

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Ah yes, The Kobayshi Maru Scenario Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 pm

"What is it with you, anyway?" Razz

Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

squishy wrote:
masterkhan wrote:
Great art, just odd to see the Doctor and Amy rushing out to battle their enemies! Kirk and Spock are enough, or even Kirk and Spock rushing to rescue the Doctor.
And Star Trek aways needed a few more enemies where the Prime Directive isn't applicable (like those thieving Borg). I'll give it to Mr. Roddenbury that the Prime Directive is one of the most enduring and best thought-out ideas to come out of the original series. There were (and still are) a lot of rabid, military-idustrial, hawks out there that want nothing more to Americanize the rest of our world to save them. These days we've got more of the same with hypocritical politicians who want the U.S. government to impose our ideas on others for their own good. Roddenberry had a truly subversive yet courageous mind to create the Prime Directive at a time when JFK and Johnson were spreading our American war of terror across Asia and the Middle East. We made a whole lot of enemies across this planet in the name of trying to help.

TNG really got fanatic about it.

Also, Kennedy was NOT trying to do it, he actually spoke out AGAINST the military industrial complex, and that I feel is one of the reasons he got killed.

Amy hitting on Kirk.....might work, least Kirk's not as dull as Rory was.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 pm

But, Amy isn't blue.....not sure if Kirk is into human females!!! I know he had a few, but he seams to like those exotic women from far away places.....oh wait, she is Scottish!! Sorry Rory.

(But, I actually see Amy hitting on Spock!)
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Nice artwork!!! And it could happen, what with the TNG crossover. Never say never.

Anyways, finally got around to ordering the Nemesis Enterprise from Diamond. Pics to come.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Glad you reminded me. I forgot I hadn't put these up yet.

Pic 1
Spoiler:

Pic 2
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Shocked Nice. Did you get the Enterprise B as well? The Klingon BoP is kickass.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 10:04 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Shocked Nice. Did you get the Enterprise B as well? The Klingon BoP is kickass.

No, just the E. My friend got the E and B. No Bird of Prey though, but he's thinking about it.

Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I got the old issue of the E. I've been on the look-out for comparison pics to see if I should get the new version. I've had the B on order forever but the retailer apparently got short changed by Diamond. Supposed to get it soon, though. The BOP I'm waiting on. Tempted, but not sure if I want to expand past Federation ships (or even just Enterprises.)

Right now I have:

NX-01
Original issue TOS Enterprise
Wrath of Khan Enterprise
Enterprise-D

Edit:

Found a comparison pic on this blog! It looks really good. I think I'll have to pick this one up.
http://rborg42.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/nemesiseversionshot11.jpg
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Got the NX-01, the Cage Enterprise, and the Enterprise-A from xmas 2003.....I saw 30 in the store that night prior to xmas, a week later they were all gone.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Lots of Trek people popping up in the 1985 Twilight Zone so far.. kinda reminds me of classic Trek with the original TZ and Outer Limits.

"But Can She Type"- Jonathan Frakes
"Dead Run"- John De Lancie and Brent Spiner
"Profile in Silver"- Andrew Robinson (playing JFK no less)
"Devil's Alphabet"- Ethan Phillips
"The After Hours"- Terry Farrell

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Those ships are nice, but you guys know me, I would rather build my own, lol.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Ooooo... Garak makes an appearance as a would be airplane bomber! Must have been in the Obsidian Order days...

"Private Channel"- Andrew Robinson

Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 am

Some new Memory Wall images. afro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/therinofandor/6714098741/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therinofandor/6714100337/

http://www.marcellorossi.info/Memory/Memory.html

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/illustrated-script-of-the-memory-wall-sequence/
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 pm

I am sure Ronpur will be getting this along with trying to get a good look at those Apollo rocket motors they brought up today also.
General Star Trek thread - Page 8 Cutawa10
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   General Star Trek thread - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 9:32 am

Oh, wow. A new cutaway Enterprise! Oh, it is a prebuilt model from Dragon for $175. And it is only 18in long. I think I will pass.

And yes, been looking at every picture of those engines I can find.
Back to top Go down

General Star Trek thread
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next