Go down 
+2
Ronpur
SeaDevil
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death Empty
PostSubject: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Since a lot of people are all "SQUEEEEE!" about this particular classic story I thought I would start a thread about it. I was toying with the idea of doing one for each episode but then thought better of it.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 am

I have often said here that its my all-time favorite story. It was the one that got me hooked for good on Doctor Who and solidified Jon Pertwee as my favorite Doctor.

I suppose it has to do with the pure science fiction of the story along with its epic action set pieces. Add to that the Third Doctor's authorative demeanor and a highly competent assistant in Liz Shaw and ally in the Brigadier. Toss into that a few subplots involving corrupt politicians and military personnel. Keep us coming back for more with thrilling cliffhangers. Add it all up , and you have classic 70's Doctor Who - its golden age.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:30 am

I have to agree with Seadevil, in that this made me a fan of Pertwee. It almost feels like it could be a James Bond story.

Anyway, I just put it in and am about to watch it.......in COLOR!! (or is that Colour?)
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am

Ronpur wrote:
Anyway, I just put it in and am about to watch it.......in COLOR!! (or is that Colour?)

...for the first time in 42 years!!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:05 pm

IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I remember sending my colour VHS copy to Dr Who magazine 20 years ago, which i bought at a Sci Fi fair. I thought i had a rare copy that even the B.B.C. weren't aware of, this would be around the time 'Tomb' was discovered and 'junked' classic Who episodes being discussed more into the entertainment media, but sadly this was that infamous copy of that was recorded for Ian Levine. The tape was returned to me and i was given a special 'Marvel Comics' certificate from Marcus Hearn, who directs the 'Tommorow's Times' extra on the Dvds.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

masterkhan wrote:
I remember sending my colour VHS copy to Dr Who magazine 20 years ago, which i bought at a Sci Fi fair. I thought i had a rare copy that even the B.B.C. weren't aware of, this would be around the time 'Tomb' was discovered and 'junked' classic Who episodes being discussed more into the entertainment media, but sadly this was that infamous copy of that was recorded for Ian Levine. The tape was returned to me and i was given a special 'Marvel Comics' certificate from Marcus Hearn, who directs the 'Tommorow's Times' extra on the Dvds.

I wonder if your tape was used to help restore the color!!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Part 3 is a little colorized looking. Not as great as 1 and 2 are.
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 pm

It's a recording of the infamous colour tape used for the restoration work on the initial video release. Recorded, i think in 78, from WNE7 station. I quickly drew into loving this story for the fact that this was the BEST Dr Who i had ever seen. In the Uk there was only the Target novels and a few Pertwee videos available around and we didn't have a sattelite dish, cable didn't even exist but was being discussed. The only way i could view any 'Goldmine' Who vids would be pirate/bootleg ABC recordings from dealers advertising in sci fi collector magazines.
UK Gold, a channel which used to show the best cult Uk shows, came soon after but by that time the official video releases were becoming more frequent.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm

After a long mis-adventure through Iowa my copy finally turned up at work this afternoon. Good thinkg WhoNA ships these out early enough to still make the release date. I know what I'm watching when I get home tonight. Maybe not all the way through, but at least the first couple of episodes. I need to savour this one!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Fantastic to see this in color. It is a great story. Most of the episodes look almost perfect, but part 3 did look to have a bit of bleed of colors. Still have to love that the UK has a space program that sends Orion look-alike spacecraft to Mars in the 70's. But, back then, Mars was just a few years away. Pending budget approval of course....
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Oh, Caroline John's comments were too sad for me.....she makes the comment when they are discussing who in the cast has died,that they have to hurry up and do these (commentary) before they are all gone.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:37 am

Ronpur wrote:
Fantastic to see this in color. It is a great story. Most of the episodes look almost perfect, but part 3 did look to have a bit of bleed of colors.

Yeah...I agree. Still...overall it is a splendid attempt at restoring the serial to full color. I am quite pleased, myself.

Kudos to the Restoration Team. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 pm

So yesterday, I bought two dvd/blu ray that had a "Liz Shaw" as a main character....

This and Prometheus. Liz Shaw rules!!
Back to top Go down
The Daemon
The Daemon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 pm

I for one don't mind watching doctor who in black and white. It just holds so many memories for me as a young lad. Still to this day when I watch it is very hard for me to fathom just how much time has passed. Doctor,Liz and Brig all gone. Feels like only few weeks ago to me. Its like listening to a CD. Yeah sound is much better but I miss that crackle of a LP.
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Liz Shaw rules!!

Can't argue with that.
Back to top Go down
http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am

stetsons_are_cool7 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Liz Shaw rules!!

Can't argue with that.

Nope. Science is sexy.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 am

I always thought it was funny how Ronald Allen looks like Mick Jagger in The Dominators and looks like Clint Eastwood in this one...

Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I liked how Sgt. Benton suddenly pops up in the middle of the story as if he'd just been in the other room all season. He's not in Spearhead or Silurians and really doesn't interact with Pertwee, but just shows up for the final couple of episodes. Has anyone watched the commentary or production notes yet? Do they explain why Benton is suddenly there as the Brig's right hand man? All the rest of UNIT seems to be HAVOC stuntmen who aren't allowed to speak on camera. I guess UNIT needed someone other than the Brig allowed to have a speaking roll. But how did the production team not figure this out before episode 5 was filmed?
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Probably the actor wasn't available till the point he starred in 'Ambassadors' or maybe his contract started from then on.
SeaDevil, you're spot on about Inspector H.C. being in 'Ambassadors', I always thought he looked 'too cool' to be the head of a space programme,lol.
On that note, how cool was that bit in ep 1 when the Dr and Liz duck their heads in Bessie as they dodge the sentry post.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 pm

masterkhan wrote:
On that note, how cool was that bit in ep 1 when the Dr and Liz duck their heads in Bessie as they dodge the sentry post.

Pretty cool...!

One of my favorite bits is also in epi 1 after all the "time jumping" with the TARDIS console. Once everybody's back in time, The Doctor explains what had happened and proceeds to flip another switch, prompting Liz to grab onto the the console with this priceless look of fear and concern!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death   S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Benton was in Geneva getting the last of his U.N.I.T. training under his belt. Remember the Brig had all those refresher courses.
Back to top Go down

S7 Story 3 The Ambassadors of Death
Page 1 of 1