The Castellan
Ronpur
guvnagrover
Scary
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Rate S7E1: The Asylum of the Daleks
FANTASTIC!
S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_lcap33%S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 14 ]
Good!
S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_lcap44%S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 44% [ 19 ]
Okay...
S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_lcap21%S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 21% [ 9 ]
Bad!
S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_lcap2%S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
AWFUL!
S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 43

AuthorMessage
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Usually when you destroy a planet's surface the stuff underneath is also destoryed or at least rendered monstrously uninhabitable.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Well, that's what I read.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 pm

In the flux of the Time War - which at its heart saw billions die each second only to be reborn to die again - I can buy the idea that Skaro's destruction was averted and it survived as a ruined husk past the era of the Time War. Gallifrey was completely destroyed, but that may simply be due to where and how "The Moment" worked.

Regardless, I see the return of Skaro as a prelude to the return of the Time Lords.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Rust wrote:
... I do agree this episode would have functioned far, far better as a two parter (or even better, a Classic Story Four Parter) to give us build up to the Harvey and Oswin Reveals, as well as more time spent with the Insane Daleks.

That is one thing that has bugged me about the new show since it started. I really liked the multi-episode stories of old, when the storyline called for it. Granted, in those days there would be some unnecessarily padded out, and that got boring. I constantly hope we'll find that place of balance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Rust wrote:
In the flux of the Time War - which at its heart saw billions die each second only to be reborn to die again - I can buy the idea that Skaro's destruction was averted and it survived as a ruined husk past the era of the Time War. Gallifrey was completely destroyed, but that may simply be due to where and how "The Moment" worked.

Regardless, I see the return of Skaro as a prelude to the return of the Time Lords.

I thought I read somewhere that The Moment was limited to creating a time lock around the Gallifreyan System. It only worked because the Daleks comitted their entire fleet to attack Gallifrey. To put the entire war in a time lock would effectivelty seal off incredibly large parts of the galaxy. And didn't the Doctor say that it was just the two races who were destroyed? Perhaps the Daleks went back through time and changed the Doctor's history, stopping the Hand of Omega from destroying Skaro.

As for Oswin, I think her consciousness was somehow transferred through the nano cloud. Because the Doctor wasn't wearing his bracelet thing when he saw her.

Anyways, just my opinions.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 am

I've been reading up and it's possible that the Skaro that was destroyed by the supernova caused at the Hand of Omega was not actually Skaro but in fact a terraform duplicate placed there by the Dalek Prime.

During the Dalek invasion of Earth in the 22nd century, the Daleks found records of Skaro's destruction. They tried to change the timeline but were unsuccessful (Day of the Daleks).

So the Daleks decided to terraform the planet Antalin to resemble Skaro as a decoy and manipulated both the Doctor and Davros into believing that the destruction of Antalin was actually the destruction of Skaro, when really Skaro was safely somewhere else (War of the Daleks).

However, Skaro was later devastated in the Time War anyway. TARDIS wikia doesn't say that Skaro was destroyed in the Time War though, just that it was in ruins, thus its damaged appearance in Asylum of the Daleks. So I guess its continued existence is valid and the Moff hasn't messed up for once! Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 am

I think the problem is, we are reading too much into the appearance of Skaro. Simple fact is, Moffat felt like showing it for a few brief seconds. We can try to find all kinds of explanation about how it still exist, but the fact is, it is a TV show that has never followed its own continuity. Making up an explanation about why it is back, is just a fun exercise that we fans always seam to do.

As for me,after seeing that prequel Scary posted, I go with the theory that it was an illusion created by the hooded being,and Skaro is still gone. It was a trap, after all. No reason to even believe what the Doctor saw was real.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 am

Very true, Ronpur, that would make more sense.

I know concocting wild theories is useless but it's all in the fun of the fandom, eh? bounce
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

But what about the Planet of the Daleks game where Skaro is back?

Theory #1831: New Skaro
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:01 pm

The Time War is a great little writer's device to excuse the need for continuity.
-"Why didn't the Time Lords intervene?" because they're all trapped in the Time War
-"How is the Master back?" because he's the one that slipped out of being in the Time War
-"And no other Time Lords besides the Master?" right, except for the one's that House ate. And maybe the Rani if a good story comes along. And possibly Omega, Morbius, the Monk, Susan, and anyone else if the writer's ask the executive producer nicely.
-"But all the Daleks were wiped out?" correct, except for the one Van Statton had, plus the Emperor and the Cult of Skaro, then Davros, and pretty much any other Dalek if the story needs them. and if we want a big Asylum full of Daleks then that's okay and throw in Skaro just for safe measures.

As long as we never see the Time War then the writers can cherry pick what they want from the Classic series and don't need to explain why. There will always be some convoluted explanation as to why it's okay. If the story needs some padding or a big surprise reveal, then they'll take the time to explain why. In Asylum of the Daleks there was already too much story and not enough time to explain. And your grandma at home really didn't care why, she just wanted a good story.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Scary wrote:
Very true, Ronpur, that would make more sense.

I know concocting wild theories is useless but it's all in the fun of the fandom, eh? bounce

It is FUN! LOL. I remember Moffat saying it was one of his favorite activities as a fan, and loves to set things up so the fans can speculate on things like this.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 pm

"Because the Time War" is the new "a wizard did it."
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, somehow Rassilon came back, too.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
"Because the Time War" is the new "a wizard did it."

Just as "Wibbly Wobbley, Timey Wimey" is akin to "It's Magic - We don't have to explain it!"
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 pm

finally doctor who is back- it has been sooo long of a wait!
Did not buy the fighting Pond bit- but besides that- enjoyed this episode quite a bit/
SWDalek....squeeeeeeeeeeee!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 am

They should have showed more of what happened with the Ponds in Pond Life and it would have made more sense.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 am

Question: Why did the Doctor tell Amy to make them (Daleks) remember who she is?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:29 am

Yeah I didn't understand that neither. I thought it was Amy that had forgotten the Daleks, not the other way around? Besides, the Daleks have never had any reason to fear Amy since she's never really done anything to them.

Wild theory time! cyclops
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am

Scary wrote:
Yeah I didn't understand that neither. I thought it was Amy that had forgotten the Daleks, not the other way around? Besides, the Daleks have never had any reason to fear Amy since she's never really done anything to them.

It could simply mean "make yourself memorable" or "make an impression".
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:28 pm

*snerk*

S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 XiDqQqN1yEKjMHQ2AgaZqQ2
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Hehehe, good one, Rust. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

I didn't make it, I just found it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Rust wrote:
*snerk*

S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 XiDqQqN1yEKjMHQ2AgaZqQ2

When ya search for Michigan dating, you'll see Slitheen and Zygons, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm

This episode set a ratings record for BBCA:
http://www.themarysue.com/doctor-who-premiere-breaks-bbc-america-ratings-records/
How'd it do on regular BBC?
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)   S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS) - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Overnights were a 6.4, about on par with the series premiere last year. It's sure to go up once other airings are factored in. Overnights don't mean as much as they used to. A lot of people watch on iPlayer and the like. I think estimates are that it'll come in around 8.5 million once the other stuff is factored in.
Back to top Go down

S7E1: Asylum of the Daleks (SPOILERS)
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next