Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?

Go down 
+5
Calixar
Cruel Angel
bret_owen99
The Castellan
Ronpur
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? Empty
PostSubject: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm

So funny, lol!!

Last edited by Ronpur on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Well, I'm, not a Star Wars fan by any means, trust me, but I would say Lucas himself is to blame. He got all spoiled by what CGI can do, and he never figured out that's he should leave script writing to those who can write, and quit trying to update stuff every few years. I'm not a fan, as I said, but Vader screaming, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" is so cliche', or changing the result of who fired first is also bad. Lucas, I think, is pretty much milking his stuff for as much as he can get.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Are we talking about the Dark Sith Lord, Darth Lucas?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
Are we talking about the Dark Sith Lord, Darth Lucas?

Sith Lord is too cool a title for him to hold.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 8:48 pm

I was just sharing the video, because I thought it was a very funny parody!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:05 pm

How did I get in here? I never posted in here. Except now of course. Can someone explain!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 pm

This is not the topic you are looking for....
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:26 pm

You can go about your posting...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:33 pm

I am just confused. Sad wonder if it's cause I hit something?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 pm

The thread is for sale if you want it...
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:13 pm

I heard Matt Smith is going to be in NYC, but only for those in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm

:p nice if Matt was in my home town. Very Happy Anyway must of done some wonky thing.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Oh, Btw,I fixed the video on the original post. I was shown this by my co-workers, and they were shocked that i had never seen the original video.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 am

I don't think I'll ever get what the big deal is. I like Star Wars, saw every film opening week, at one time owned all of the original action figures and playsets and ships and the entire Marvel comics line...

... but I guess I don't take it as seriously as some people. They're movies, it's just entertainment. If your day is ruined over the creator of it trying to make it more closely fit his vision... wow. I'm sorry for you. Get over it. Go outside and meet some people who don't care at all about the movies and ask them what they think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 11:05 am

I'm not a fan of Star Wars. I watched the original trilogy (during my first time on Netflix, I rented them on the "original version" DVDs), and thought the first one was great, but didn't particularly care for the rest of the trilogy.

That being said, I do think the original versions should be available to show you the films that audiences were enjoyed in the original releases. I thought the effects still held up pretty well. So, yeah, as a piece of film history, they should be available.

Also, if the effects in the new ones are better, why not have the originals available so people can see the improvements? This way, both versions can be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 11:26 am

For me, my only issue was Han shot first. Beyond that, I enjoyed the additions. Well, maybe Vader yelling "Nooooooo" when he dumps the Emperor was a weird choice. I don't even mind Jar Jar that much. I enjoy the movies, but I don't see the originals as some amazing work of art, frankly the writing and acting in them were as bad as anything I have ever seen. They were just more fun than anything I had ever seen before,and I was 12. LOL
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Calixar wrote:
I don't think I'll ever get what the big deal is. I like Star Wars, saw every film opening week, at one time owned all of the original action figures and playsets and ships and the entire Marvel comics line...

... but I guess I don't take it as seriously as some people. They're movies, it's just entertainment. If your day is ruined over the creator of it trying to make it more closely fit his vision... wow. I'm sorry for you. Get over it. Go outside and meet some people who don't care at all about the movies and ask them what they think.

Hostile much? I can understand disagreeing with people (we had a whole topic on this subject before, and trust me, I was in the minority), but I don't think a personal attack like "I'm sorry for you. Go outside and meet people who don't care about movies" is a valid argument. Are you implying that every Star Wars fan doesn't have friends, or friends who don't like Movies? How biased of an opinion is that? And I don't know every one of your hobbies/likes, so don't feel sorry for me, because I'm sure there's something in your closet I would feel sorry about you for.

This all goes back to the issue of Creator/Original product issue. There are a lot of Artists (writers, painters, etc) who feel that they can go back and change a finished product anytime they want, to make it more closely fit their vision (as you put it). However, once a product is out, and has been seen, that is the product that was a appreciated by the Audience in the first place. It should at least be archived or available as it first was. Not destroyed, run over, and basically gutted so that it would never be seen again. Lucas has even been quoted as saying "My vision is the only vision the fans will ever be seen again". That is ego, putting yourself before the fans who appreciated you in the first place.

Have a nice day!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm sure there are things you would find ridiculous, and I'm okay with that. But I'm not so attached to anything that's not vital to continued existence that I'd fight over it and imply that George Lucas "raped my childhood" and some of the other laughable comments I hear.

Thing is, these arguments against the changes are personal. If a person is going to take it so personally, then it is personal. I'm not making it that way, just acknowledging that people have made it that way for themselves.

I don't like all of the changes made, the Han Solo/Greedo shooting is, to me, the worst, Vader yelling no makes that scene more comical to me than dramatic... but in the long run, it really doesn't matter. I don't care for how Stephen King revised The Gunslinger, changing the continuity of The Dark Tower series, but I still like the series, and will not call him a criminal over it. His book, his choice.

I'm sorry you took my pity over a pitiable position so harshly.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:11 pm

No idea why I am here. So I am opting out.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Calixar wrote:
I'm sure there are things you would find ridiculous, and I'm okay with that. But I'm not so attached to anything that's not vital to continued existence that I'd fight over it and imply that George Lucas "raped my childhood" and some of the other laughable comments I hear.

Thing is, these arguments against the changes are personal. If a person is going to take it so personally, then it is personal. I'm not making it that way, just acknowledging that people have made it that way for themselves.

I don't like all of the changes made, the Han Solo/Greedo shooting is, to me, the worst, Vader yelling no makes that scene more comical to me than dramatic... but in the long run, it really doesn't matter. I don't care for how Stephen King revised The Gunslinger, changing the continuity of The Dark Tower series, but I still like the series, and will not call him a criminal over it. His book, his choice.

I'm sorry you took my pity over a pitiable position so harshly.

You know, Argument aside, there are a lot of things in life I'm attached to that have nothing to do with being "vital to continued existence". I couldn't even imagine a life like that. It would be boring to me. I don't even know how to address a person who thinks that anyone who does value things that are not "vital to continued existence" are flawed or mistaken.

As far as pity, or a pitiable position, wow! I don't even know how to address that either. Is it lonely on top of that High Horse you are on? How far in the air are you? I've never gotten a warning on this board, but this back and forth with you might get me in trouble, because People like you, wow, I just don't even know how to have a discussion with someone who assumes they are right about everything, and knows everything, and pretty much an counter argument is wrong, and you are perfect. Wow! Just boggles my mind.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Once he was finished with "Episode III", Lucas should have kept on with complete remakes of the original trilogy. That way he could have a full six-film series that maintained a consistent look and tone throughout.

Of course, the original films would've been locked away in the vault and never reissued, in his lifetime anyway. But at least they'd be intact and unaltered.

I wonder who Lucas would've cast in the remakes...who was hot in 2005?
Back to top Go down
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 5:49 pm

The Last time, the Star Wars Trilogy was released on DVD over here, the Originals were included as bonus discs, if they would do this with the Blu-rays I'd buy them.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:
The Last time, the Star Wars Trilogy was released on DVD over here, the Originals were included as bonus discs, if they would do this with the Blu-rays I'd buy them.

Same here. That was the last time I got anything Star Wars on home video, and it will still be the last unless he either puts the originals on blu, or on anamorphic dvd.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Calixar wrote:
They're movies, it's just entertainment.

Wrong. That's your point of view, not a fact.

(I'm talking about the general statement made about film there.... I don't care about Star Wars)
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?   star wars - What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know? EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Calixar wrote:
They're movies, it's just entertainment.

Wrong. That's your point of view, not a fact.

I'll accept that opinion. But to address Brett's prior reply to me, I'm not saying that one shouldn't care at all about non-vital things or entertainment. Otherwise, why am I on a Doctor Who board to begin with?

But getting upset over it... letting it ruin your day... that's not being on a "high horse." That's not assuming I'm right and the people who think that "Han shot first" are wrong... because, heck, I prefer that version of the movie, too. I agree with you that both versions should be available... but I just can't afford to become so passionate about something that, in the long run, really doesn't matter. Maybe that makes you stronger than me in some way, but I suspect otherwise...

Blood diamonds, girls being kidnapped and sold into sexual slavery, drunk drivers wiping out families on the road, cancer... get passionate about reality, and just enjoy fiction. If someone comes along and screws up the movie you loved as a kid, have an opinion about it, but don't let that opinion be what your life is about.
Back to top Go down

What happened to the Star Wars that I used to know?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next