Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
D4L3K
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? Empty
PostSubject: Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?   Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm

There seems to be an unfair growing trend in Blu-ray movie exclusives given to one store, shop or other. I've been digging into this recently and was unsure if WHONA members knew, or if they did, care to alert the rest of us when a particular movie Is released exclusively, so that we won't miss out.

If there are any fans of the original 'Fright Night', it was released on Blu-ray already, and limited to 3000 copies, which unfortunately sold out. The catcher? An Internet website called ScreenArchives.com were given the exclusive rights to sell all 3000 copies.
I love this movie, never heard that it was out on blu-ray, and upset that my chance to own it was lost. I think it's unfair to do this, especially on a website no one really knows about.

ScreenArchives has the exclusive blu-ray release of the 1961 'Mysterious Island' as well. I snagged my copy already. It's also limited to 3000. It's still in stock for fans of this Jules Verne classic.

King Kong (1976) - Another popular movie, released on blu-ray in 2008, has yet to come to America. It's so far only available in France and Australia. I just bought a copy that had 4 left in stock, from an Australian DVD site. There's a disclaimer saying that this movie will no longer be available once quantities are sold out. Other websites have sold out, and they too announce that no more copies will be sold.
The popular Blu-ray movie forum has fans of this movie, that have said this movie is a region free blu-ray release. So you can play it on any blu-ray player if you wish to buy it. You'll find that there's people selling this movie for over 150.00 on eBay, or Amazon.com. The Australian site has it for around $34 USD. With shipping its around $42-$51. USD.

So if any of you know of any other unfair exclusives, please post them, and give us the chance to own these movies.

Any original 'Poseidon Adventure' fans, this movie was released last week as a Walmart exclusive.
'Airplane!' on blu, was released as a Bestbuy exclusive.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?   Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:24 pm

I didn't get a copy of Fright Night, but I wasn't upset. I had heard the news that that website had payed to produce and manufacture the BluRay, which drove the cost up to 29.99 or more. Sorry, Exclusive or not, I'm not going to pay more than $10 for a 30 year old film. I have the original DVD, and I can live with that. Any other Exclusives, that are overpriced, I'll pass on.
Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

PostSubject: Re: Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?   Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I've been updating my movie collection, getting rid of DVDs. Replacing them with blu-ray. Luckily Amazon has crazy sales. There's quite a few now on sale between 7.99-9.99.
I just feel there should have been an announcement somewhere important about these movies.

Also does anyone know if the Star Wars 3D films will hit blu-ray each year they are released? Or will we have to wait for the 6 film 3D collectors set...
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?   Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I passed on the Fright Night one myself for the same reasons. I realize it was an exclusive, but like Bret I have certain price ranges for blus that I stick to. Exclusives won't go down in price like they do for regular retailers (especially those Amazon sales).

To be informed, you have to hit the video sites. I read Digital Bits site every day, and am a registered user on tvshowsondvd.com and blu-ray.com

For blu, I would definitely recommend blu-ray.com. Release news, sale info (tied into Amazon) , reviews, discussion forums, and as a user, you can put your blu and dvd collection online, and create a blu wish/watch list.

Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

PostSubject: Re: Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?   Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Good to know, thank you...
Back to top Go down

Exclusives or most wanted Blu-ray movies?
Page 1 of 1