Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!

Go down 
+5
neogeo
Chuzzlewit
Ginger
Cruel Angel
Redfern
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Anyone who is curious about the Peter Cushing Dalek films but never had the opportunity to see either can watch the second on Turner Classic Movies tonight (Tuseday, Dec. 27) at 1:15 AM (EST), which technically makes it Wednesday, Dec. 28. Those of you who have Direct TV, that's channel 256.

I have both on DVD, but I'm gonna' record it on my DVR just to see what commentary, if any, TCM has before and/or after the film.

Yes, this is one of the films where Peter Cushing plays an eccentric human scientist literally named Dr. Who, but I still find it a fun romp. It's amazing the film runs less than 90 minutes, yet it contains most of the crucial plot elements from the BBC serialized story which ran almost 150 minutes. I think it was AppleJack25 (going by ViperPilot at the time) who described it as Doctor Who as done by Disney. Or was that me? I honestly can't remember. But I do remember we both agreed upon that description.

Again, that's tonight at 1:15 Am (EST) on Turner Classic Movies.

This post will be useless come tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. I changed the thread title to reflect it's now a past event.

Last edited by Redfern on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Cool... looks like they are doing an alien invasion theme this evening with that lineup tonight.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Heh yeah, Doctor Who gone Disney... a bit more violent, but still.

It was interesting and I actually liked the design of the Daleks in those movies as well as the colours, but that was about it. The Dalek screaming in agony bothered me so much. Sad
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm

transcribe the comments for us, Doctor Who has arrived!
Back to top Go down
Ginger
Ginger

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-08-03

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks Bill; Very Happy
We have never seen it, I just set the DVR. There are a lot of cheesy Sci-Fi movies on TCM tonight.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm

i hope this is on another nite. I work in the morning!! WHY?!!! Evil or Very Mad Mad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 pm

I have seen it a zillion times, but... I am at Holidays with family who have not, and this is an excellent oppurtunity to share! I am making them all stay up, and we'll eat popcorn and Zuchini sticks and have a jolly ole time! Very, very cool!

Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Oh, also of note...

Bernard Cribbins, "Wilf" from "Voyage of the Damned" and "on and off" through "The End of Time" plays a constable who stumbles into the TARDIS believing it to be a genuine police box. He basically fills the role of Ian in the originall BBC serial.

As for the sci-fi line-up, I've never seen "The Man From Planet X". This film was released in 1951 as was "The Thing From Another world" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still", making it one of the earliest alien invasion cinema releases. George Pal's adaptation of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" was not released until 2 years later, 1953. So I'm recording that one as well.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Redfern wrote:
Oh, also of note...

Bernard Cribbins, "Wilf" from "Voyage of the Damned" and "on and off" through "The End of Time" plays a constable who stumbles into the TARDIS believing it to be a genuine police box. He basically fills the role of Ian in the originall BBC serial.

As for the sci-fi line-up, I've never seen "The Man From Planet X". This film was released in 1951 as was "The Thing From Another world" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still", making it one of the earliest alien invasion cinema releases. George Pal's adaptation of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" was not released until 2 years later, 1953. So I'm recording that one as well.

Sincerely,

Bill

Some great films. cheers The man From Planet X is NOT ringing a bell with me. off to google.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I have had my DVR set for this.... I have it on DVD but I thought it would be cool to DVR off TV.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 10:03 pm

"Man From Planet X" is rather obscure. If you saw "Loony Tunes: Back in Action", you saw a recreation of that alien along with the Metalunian "Mutant" and a pair of Daleks in an Area 51 type compound. Bugs Bunny stuffed a bag of microwave popcorn into it's chest mounted "box" and kernals popped within his fishbowl helmet.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Redfern wrote:
"Man From Planet X" is rather obscure. If you saw "Loony Tunes: Back in Action", you saw a recreation of that alien along with the Metalunian "Mutant" and a pair of Daleks in an Area 51 type compound. Bugs Bunny stuffed a bag of microwave popcorn into it's chest mounted "box" and kernals popped within his fishbowl helmet.

Sincerely,

Bill

That movie is brilliant! The "Back in Action" one. I watched it mostly for the Daleks. Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 am

DVD is set!

Cheers Bill cheers
Back to top Go down
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:54 am

Daleks and Wilf versus Daleks and Michael Jordan with Bugs Bunny... Sounds like a tie, and time for a double feature!

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:05 am

I never saw the sequel, just the original Space Jam. Loved it. Lola rocked, and the scene when Sir Charles is praying that he will be good from now on and never get another technical is priceless Very Happy

"Daff? You dish it off to the girl bunny. Then you dish it off to the guy bunny. Then it goes to the big man. You go to the hole and dominate!"

"Bill! We're on defense!"

"Whoa hoa hoa! I don't play defense."
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:56 am

Redfern wrote:

Sincerely,

Bill

Point of trivia, Enid was played by Margaret Field, Sally's mom. I haven't seen this movie for a loooong time! Decades in fact.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:26 am

TCM right now, its on... great fun!! The Daleks are AMAZING in the movies.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 am

I really wouldnt mind a Cushing Doc to round out the collection...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
I really wouldnt mind a Cushing Doc to round out the collection...

I could go for a set based on them.

I love seeing daleks....in technicolor(!)
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 2:51 am

kcooper76 wrote:

I love seeing daleks....in technicolor(!)

I had this flash ala Iron Man:

Davros (to his computer system) : I like the design for the officer Dalek, but I think it's missing something. Throw a little hot rod red in there...

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 3:45 am

Too bad Robert Osbourne flubbed the Doc's origin in the movie. In the films, he is a normal human, not an alien.

That was fun. Hadnt seen it in several years.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:10 am

The films are part of the success of Doctor who and the history of the shows peak back in the 60s with Dalekmania.

Great movies, always should be taken with a pinch of salt... To be honest I feel that the Daleks in the two Movies look much better than the BBC Daleks in the 60s... much more like Tanks than over sized wooden salt shakers and the voices - WOW - they BOOM. I can see why new Who series took a leaf or two out of the 60s Dalek movies when bringing back the Daleks in 2005.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 am

Russell T. Davies openly admitted he liked the movie Dalek design, so that's why his "bronze" travel machines wound up getting "jelly jar" flashers and the larger "bumper" section, as an homage to the theatrical design.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
jjm3
jjm3

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 pm

"Oh my, Who's that?"

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! Whosthat

"They got a big star to play me!"
Back to top Go down
jjm3
jjm3

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!   "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 pm

"Oh, kidleks, pay attention. Here's how we did it on the big screen back in the 1960s."

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! Historylesson1

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM! Historylesson2
Back to top Go down

"Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD" aired on TCM!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next