13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) Empty
PostSubject: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:11 am

Anyone else excited about this? I can't wait! I actually never saw the ALIEN movies as a kid, but really came to like them as an adult when I finally saw them. Especially the first two. I'm really interested to see what Scott does here. I just got the Blu Ray collection and I just watched the first movie. First of all, the new transfer looks great. And it's cool to see all the little connections from the trailer in the first movie.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Ah.... so it's an Alien prequel! That would explain why when I saw the trailer I keep thinking "this sure looks a lot like Alien!".
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 1:54 pm

And one of the main characters is a scientist named Elizabeth Shaw Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
And one of the main characters is a scientist named Elizabeth Shaw Twisted Evil

I saw that, lol!! I can't wait for this movie! Dug out my Alien DVDs and watched them.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 am

i'm excited.
Back to top Go down
dr.dalek
dr.dalek

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 pm

just watched to first two movies again!

cant wait!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 pm

An interesting video featuring 'Weyland':

http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Conceived and designed by Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof, the footage was directed by Luke Scott and, while it won't necessarily appear in the final cut of Prometheus, you can be sure that Weyland's hubris is going to have a major effect on the world of the film

Some additional info:

The highly-anticipated film hitting theaters on June 8th, Ridley Scott's Prometheus has just launched a viral promotion that features Guy Pearce as a man very familiar to fans of the Alien film series: Peter Weyland.

You can click on the below image to check out video of Weyland's speech given at the 2023 TED Conference (an annual convention dedicated to human innovation currently happening in Long Beach, California) and visit www.weylandindustries.com to check out a future that has been built on his words and an explanation of the title Prometheus.

The official bio for Weyland reads as follows:

Sir Peter Weyland was born in Mumbai, India at the turn of the Millennium. The progeny of two brilliant parents; His mother, an Oxford Educated Professor of Comparative Mythology, his father, a self-taught software Engineer, it was clear from an early age that Sir Peter’s capabilities would only be eclipsed by his ambition to realize them. By the age of fourteen, he had already registered a dozen patents in a wide range of fields from biotech to robotics, but it would be his dynamic break-throughs in generating synthetic atmosphere above the polar ice cap that gained him worldwide recognition and spawned an empire.

In less than a decade, Weyland Corporation became a worldwide leader in emerging technologies and launched the first privatized industrial mission to leave the planet Earth. “There are other worlds than this one,” Sir Peter boldly declared, “And if there is no air to breathe, we will simply have to make it.”

Peter Weyland has been a magnet for controversy since he announced his intent to build the first convincingly humanoid robotic system by the end of the decade.

Whether challenging the ethical boundaries of medicine with nanotechnology or going toe to toe with the Vatican itself on the issue of gene-therapy sterilization, Sir Peter prides himself on his motto, “If we can, we must.” After a three year media blackout, Weyland has finally emerged to reveal where he’s heading next. Wherever that may be, we will most certainly want to follow.

Read more: Peter Weyland Has a Few Viral Words for You About Prometheus - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=87552#ixzz1ni5Nzjkx
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:56 pm

The more stuff I see about this flick, the more it's becoming the 'must see' movie for me this year...
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

NOOOOOO!!!!
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/167273-del-toro-dont-bet-on-at-the-mountains-of-madness-prometheus-ties
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyWed May 09, 2012 8:20 pm

rdks wrote:
Ah.... so it's an Alien prequel! That would explain why when I saw the trailer I keep thinking "this sure looks a lot like Alien!".

This is part one. No Aliens. Part two aliens come. Part three is the old 1970's movie where they go find the abandoned ship.

Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Caught this today. I'd rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Not bad, not great, but good. Visually it was awesome. Story wise, it lacked - it left more questions than answers. Wasn't that scary, but did have a couple of "Oh ****" moments.

Definitely NOT a direct prequel to Alien, but lays down the groundwork.

Overall, to me, it definitely felt as a part one to a 'prequel' series...as Chuzz stated above. I think once it comes out on Blu-Ray/DVD, I'll end up appreciating it more upon multiple viewings.

Spoiler:

My ranking for the Alien films:

1) Alien
2) Aliens
3) Prometheus
4) Alien 3
5) Alien Resurrection

I do not count the AVP flicks as part of this 'series'.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:15 am

...Pretty much the above...
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 2:09 pm

I'll concur. Buddies wanted to see it Thursday at midnight on the IMAX screen. I stayed awake, but not because of the plot. I still cannot figure out many of the character motivations and reactions to events.
But it is a very pretty movie.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 pm

I actually really enjoyed Prometheus. I felt it had a good story, left enough questions open for a sequel without sacrificing said story, and, of course, the visual effects were stunning.

Really, the only thing I didn't like was the origins of the Space Jockeys (I refuse to call them Engineers). I didn't like
Spoiler:
but that's just me.

Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Great effects. Even though I didn't care for it, I do find myself
thinking about it a lot. Don't know if it's DVD worthy.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 pm

I saw it this morning and I really liked it. Can't wait to see it again so I can properly take it all back in.
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 7:33 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
I saw it this morning and I really liked it. Can't wait to see it again so I can properly take it all back in.

I'll more than likely see it again before it leaves the theaters. I did like it - however I think that my expectations were set too high, even though I attempted to set them lower.

I'm sure I'll end up liking it more the second time.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 7:38 pm

The 10th wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:

I'll more than likely see it again before it leaves the theaters. I did like it - however I think that my expectations were set too high, even though I attempted to set them lower.

I'm sure I'll end up liking it more the second time.

It was the opposite with me. My expectations were really low, and I ended up liking it (have lots of issues with it, but I did like it).
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 5:36 pm

kcooper76 wrote:

It was the opposite with me. My expectations were really low, and I ended up liking it (have lots of issues with it, but I did like it).

What were some of the things you didn't like about it? Just curious...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 pm

The 10th wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:

Spoiler:

But again, I liked it and would give it the same rating you did...I just didn't love it.
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 am

Interesting...just read this on the Dark Horizons website:

With "Prometheus" sparking endless debate this weekend, one thing for sure is that a lot of elements of the film have confused people. Some of them are Scott's deliberate attempts to be ambiguous and enigmatic, but others seem to be the result of some overly judicious editing.

The latter problem will be resolved to some extent with the upcoming DVD & Blu-ray editions scheduled to hit October 9th. Scott tells Collider that the home release of "Prometheus" will have up to half-an-hour of deleted scenes.

A lot of those will be included in a longer cut on the disc that lasts an additional twenty minutes, one which sounds much close to the original 147 minute first cut of the film he did. However he says the theatrical version is "fundamentally the director’s cut… I’m so happy with this engine, the way it is right now. I think it’s fine. I think it works."

He is however aware of film lovers and fans with their desire to see as much as possible, even though in this case he prefers the theatrical take - "there will be half an hour of stuff on the menu because people are so into films… if you really want to tap in, look at the menu. To see how things are long, and it’s too long. Dramatically, I’m about putting bums on seats. For me to separate my idea of commerce from art—I’d be a fool. You can’t do that. I wouldn’t be allowed to do the films I do. So I’m very user friendly as far as the studios are concerned. To a certain extent, I’m a businessman. I’m aware that’s what I have to do. It’s my job. To say, “Screw the audience.” You can’t do that. “Am I communicating?” is the question. Am I communicating? Because if I’m not, I need to address it."
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 am

kcooper76 wrote:
The 10th wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:

Spoiler:

But again, I liked it and would give it the same rating you did...I just didn't love it.

Good points, that's pretty much how I felt about it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 pm

I just got back from seeing it. While I did enjoy it, the some of characters were just plain idiots. Weyland's make up just did not work for me either. I heard someone talking as we left that there was no way Shaw could have been walking just after a c-section. But this is future med tech and we don't really know how the healed her muscles. I was walking 12 hours after my stomach surgery. The ending did seam a bit rushed to me too, and I have to wonder that if you are running from a crashing spaceship that is rolling in a straight line, why don't you just run at right angels to its path....wow.

And love the new look for the old friend at the end too.

I was hoping they would have called Shaw "Liz" instead of "Beth" but oh well.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Doctors Elizabeth Shaw and Holloway. Hmmm...

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)   Prometheus (ALIEN prequel) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Doctors Elizabeth Shaw and Holloway. Hmmm...

Glad his first name wasn't Grace!!
Back to top Go down

Prometheus (ALIEN prequel)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: