Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

who should play the doctor in the movie.

Go down 
+6
rdks
mattmanw54301
Cruel Angel
The Castellan
bret_owen99
hitman hart
10 posters
AuthorMessage
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

who should play the doctor in the movie. Empty
PostSubject: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:07 pm

so i thought it would be fun to guess who might make a good doc for the movie if it even happens. i vote nathan fillion, because i love everything he does, hes got mad nerd cred from firefly and buffy and mainstream crossover success from castle which i also love. he can do the light hearted comedic thing and turn on a dime to the dramatic if needed. i know hes not brittish but i figure if the new superman can be brittish than the new doc could be american. lol i could list many more possibilities as i'm sure you all can too so i will limit myself to one pick to make it more fun for other people to put in their two cents! happy speculating. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:32 pm

First off, I'm not a Nathan Fillion fan, and I honestly think I would boycott the movie if he was chosen.

If we had to go with an American, with a fake english accent, why not James Marsters (since he was able to fool me with his accent for years).

As far as real English actors, the list would be long in my court. Ewan MacGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Anthony Stewart Head. Heck, on the Scottish front, I think Craig Ferguson would make a funny old Doctor.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:09 am

just out of curiosity, how can you hate nathan fillion? hes like the nicest guy ever and treats his fans fans better than most any celebraty i have ever seen. firefly is one of the greatest things in the history of ever. i'm begining to think you have no soul brettowen! Very Happy

i can understand him not being your personal pic but a boycott? i think he would be perfect. also who says the doctor has to have a brittish accent anyway. lol.

i do like the idea of tony head or james marsters i think they would be really neat and we already know that tony head loves doctor who so i think those would be great choices. while ewan macgregor seems good on paper i just don't feel him as the doc but i think if he was chosen he would do an excellent job. i always thought that hue grant would be good based on his turn in the curse of fatal death.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 am

It wouldn't be the first time I was told I didn't have a soul! (I keed). I didn't like Firefly. I tried to watch it, but it seemed like some hillbilly Star Trek, sorry. I don't want to see Song of the South in Space (if it makes you feel any better, I also don't like Babylon 5, Battlestar Gallactica, or Farscape, all of which have made me scorned in fandom).

As far as Nathan Fillion being good to his fans, that's good to hear. Mind you, I don't dislike him personally, I just can't stand his Face or Voice. Don't ask me why. Half the time I ever hear him speak, he has some sort of souther accent, which I think is the main reason I hate his voice. When he was in Buffy, I couldn't wait untill he was killed, and couldn't have been happier in the way they killed him off. Like I said, (and this is going all the way back to Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place), I've never liked him, and it's just a personall preference.

Hugh Grant is a good choice. I had heard a rumor that he turned down the 2005 series because he didn't think it would be successfull. However, when Eccleston was, Grant said that was the biggest mistake he'd ever made (this could all be a rumor).

Apart from Grant, another one I would reccomend would be Rupert Everett. I wasn't really a fan of his, untill I saw a movie called Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking (or something like that). He played the best book to movie Sherlock I have ever seen. His Doctor would be really cold though (that's what I liked about his Sherlock).

As far as Ewan MacGregor, I've always been a fan, and think he's criminally underrated (also has to do with the bad roles he chooses). Whenever talks come up for a new actor to be James Bond, I always hope it's him. The best James Bond ever (Sean Connery) was Scottish, and I would hope MacGregor would keep up the role if he ever had the chance (I always thought Timothy Dalton was overlooked as one of the better Bonds).

Sorry for ranting. I know this script is out there. I remember when they were first talking about rebooting the Batman franchise, and they first talked about Keannu Reeves taking the role. I was angry, untill I heard they wanted Mathew Mcaunehey. After that, I wouldn't have been so angry at Keannu. Christian Bale got the role, and was the right choice.

My only hope is it's not one of the nitwits from Twilight, or even Harry Potter movies (trying to capitalize on poppularity with one genre to another). No offense to Moffat and Smith, but if the Movie was a different Universe, I think it should start out with an older Doctor. He doesn't have to have Susan as his Granddaughter, but he should be a bit unfriendly (he is an alien), but is forced into adventures with humans.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 2:58 am

i loved firefly, watched the whole thing in one sitting and went and saw serinity the next day in the theatre. post cival war, western in space was just right up my alley, but then i am from south carolina so the war of northern aggression has been beat into my head since an early age so it was cool to see the brown coats not be racist bastards but still encapsulate the rebal spirit of freedom from federal oppression and not feel guilty about it. i do love ewan mccgregor, i think i first saw him in trainspotting and he was brilliant, i even loved that romantic period piece comedy he did with rene zelwiger i think it was called down with love. hes a really good actor i think i'm just to used to seeing him as obi wan but i would definatly give him a chance if it was him and would not be worried about his performance at all. i agree that i hope they don't go with some over rated hollywood flash in the pan guy. i actually havent watched farscape, babylon five but i would just to see what i think and i loved the new battle star galactica but i can understand how its not for every body. i will say that the firefly comparison to hillbilly star trek in space is a unfair coralation because the whole point of the show was that when we spread out to other planets its not utopian or easy or cantina's full of aliens, it was hard like settling the fronteir in our country only planets! loved it. as for sherlock holmes...... two words.... jeremy brett! the granada jeremy brett series is the best sherlock holmes i have ever scene. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 am

If I were to choose an actor for this, I'd choose someone that isn't a well known celebrity..I'd want someone unknown.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 3:56 am

Arnold Vosloo (He even reminds me of the Ninth Doctor), MacGreger, or John DeLance (he's got the flamboyancy).

Though I think we outta have Eclceston, if I could choose.....I don't wan't this to become a Jar Jar Abrams style reboot of any kind.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 am

If this movie is being made for the mass market and it will be as if Doctor Who has never been on TV then we need a main stream internationally known actor, some one with real cinema pulling power that will bring family's that know nothing about Dr. Who into the theaters to see the best conception science fiction storytelling has ever known.

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:26 am

ogron wrote:
If this movie is being made for the mass market and it will be as if Doctor Who has never been on TV then we need a main stream internationally known actor.

If anything is really going to sell a DW movie, its the DW name. With Nu Who going for a while now, you aren't going to have many sci fi fans out there that will not know what DW is. If there are, if you do a good enough trailer, sci fi fans will want to check it out since it looks like it will be a good sci fi flick.

You aren't going to get much crossover from mainstream audiences that don't normally do sci fi just because an actor is in it that is recognizable. That logic might work for studios, but then studio execs tend to be ignorant as to what really works.

It is also better to go with a decently young unknown actor. Way less salary, meaning more of your budget can go to developing a good script and doing the FX well. It will also be much easier to sign an unknown to a multi picture deal (and again for less money) if you are thinking franchise and not just a one shot movie.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:22 am

How about Sacha Baron Cohen?
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:16 am

First off, I was going to get angry about Sasha Baron Cohen, but that's not fair, I actually think he's a brilliant comedian, and I heard he is finally doing a serious movie (the Freddy Mercury biopic, and I will see it). I'd like to see him do something serious before considering, though.

Arnold Vosloo, another criminally underrated actor, who is finally starting to get some good roles in hollywood.

Ogron is right, though. more and more studios are building a movie for international release, not just american audiences. Because sometimes a movie will flop here, but do well overseas. they want to try to get as much money as they can, from as broad an audience as they can.

As far as hiring a young, cheap, unkown actor? I couldn't disagree more. First, like Ogron said, you have to have someone recognisable, not just to the U.S. audience, but to the world. You won't get that with someone young, or unkown. Second, not all actors are about the money, even big name actors. They could ask for profit sharing from the movie, guaranteed rights to be in the sequel (let's face it, how many times has an actor been replaced in the sequel). But overall, if it's a good script, I believe they can get a good veteran actor, without having to spend an arm and a leg. Not every actor is Arnold Shwarzennegger, demanind 50million to be in a flop.

This could be a Jack Sparrow moment for an actor (let's face it, the role that Johnny Depp will forever be associated with, even though everyone doubted him).
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 am

was watching attack of the show and they had the live twitter feed with who should play the doctor in a doctor who movie. a coulple of the more interesting ones were

robert downey jr
rupert grint
daniel radclif
me, not me litterally but that came up alot. lol
and of course, many people said paul mcgan, and matt smith.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm

You know, just for those choices, I want to Attack that show. Let's see, two Harry Potter stars (I already brought this up, surprised Robert Pattinson or whatever his name is isn't on the list, or that Jacob kid, and we could have a shirtless Doctor the whole movie, lol).

As far as Robert Downey JR., I've never been a fan. Was he good in Iron Man (his big comeback role)? Yes, I'm not denying that. However, he was playing a character that is much like himself. I've never seen that travesty of a movie Sherlock Holmes (sorry, I just don't see how someone who can be a fan of the great literary works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle can even like that movie).

And Bret Hart? that actually makes me laugh. Not in a bad way. Bret was never that great of an actor, not to mention he's Canadian. (don't get me wrong, I'm a big Bret Hart fan, but let's be honest about his speaking ability).

So far I'm just glad that Ryan Renolds hasn't been mentioned. I can't stand him, I'm sorry. I heard he was the main reason Green Lantern flopped (not to mention the horrible writing, and basically turning Hal Jordan into the cool jock, and the bad guy being the nerd).
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Hugh Laurie is the current most searched on Yahoo due to him winning a poll on who should play the Doctor.

Though I'm expecting some young guy that everybody's heard of but me, who spends half the movie shirtless and kisses all the girls while trodding around in some nonsensical plot that's buried beneath way too much CGI, all in glorious 3D.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter to me who they pick because I won't like him. Whenever the Doctor regenerates I never like the new guy at first. It takes me a few episodes to warm up to him. A movie just isn't long enough for that to happen. It took a few years and a handful of BF audios before I accepted McGann.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I could see Hugh Laurie, but only if he is a little comical (like his old days), not a cranky old House Doctor. (no pun intended).
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:31 pm

it wasn't the shows fault bret owen they just asked the question and people tweeted their responses which ran as a live feed at the bottom of the screen. i think hugh laurie would be cool. hes got a mainstream built in audience and hes a great actor. i saw the sherlock movie and i think it should have been called james bond in the 1800's. not very sherlock holmes at all, more of a steampunk bond movie.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:42 pm

i loved green lantern, i think anyone should see it before they knock it. obviouslly if you hate ryan reynolds then i guess you will hate the movie but as far as green lantern is concerned it was very true to the dc universe. and hal jordan was a test pilot, those guys are cocky, balls to the wall, fearless daredevils, it comes with the job. what i really liked about the movie was they didn't throw all the villians at you at once, they set up the universe and allowed room for sinestro to come back as the villian in the next movie. sorry to go off topic but it was a well done movie, ryan worked his but off in it by which i mean alot of things you think are done with cg are really him doing some hellacious wire work and stunts. i urge anyone to watch it an make up their mind for themselves and not the critics. every friend who said they didn't want to see it because of the bad reviews i lent the movie to loved it and couldn't understand why it got panned by the critics so badly. just sayin.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 pm

but having said all that, no i do not want ryan reynolds to be in doctor who. lol
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 5:47 pm

heres one thats outside of the box. denzeil washington. that could be epic.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Someone unknown, someone who isn't very big. That's the wonderful thing about Doctor Who. It takes the smallest actors and turns them into the biggest stars. It also helps the actor give the role their own twist without having to worry about public expectations like an already famous actor would.

So yeah, give us an actor we've never heard of, I say. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 1:12 am

Paul McGann
a) If it's good, it's an 8th Doctor adventure.
b) If it sucks, people just ignore it like the TV film.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Yrcanos

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: who should play the doctor in the movie.   who should play the doctor in the movie. EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 4:27 pm

hitman hart wrote:
so i thought it would be fun to guess who might make a good doc for the movie if it even happens. i vote nathan fillion, because i love everything he does, hes got mad nerd cred from firefly and buffy and mainstream crossover success from castle which i also love. he can do the light hearted comedic thing and turn on a dime to the dramatic if needed. i know hes not brittish but i figure if the new superman can be brittish than the new doc could be american. lol i could list many more possibilities as i'm sure you all can too so i will limit myself to one pick to make it more fun for other people to put in their two cents! happy speculating. Very Happy
It all starts on the page. What ever the script calls for. Personally I think McGann in the Infinity Doctors would be an awesome feature film. Then again if it's like the X Files Movie it could star the current Doctor and directly compliment the current series.

Since I never liked the total dicontinuity of the new series, I wouldn't even mind a reeboot just for the film medium. Chosing the role would all depend upon the script. But as a matter of my own prejudice, I think McGann should be the film doctor. Wink
Back to top Go down

who should play the doctor in the movie.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: