Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???

Go down 
+9
Rocco
Biggles
Scary
SeaDevil
Gunny
Ronpur
Cruel Angel
jaredofmo
doctorwhofan11
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
doctorwhofan11
doctorwhofan11

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? Empty
PostSubject: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm

I want to know your views on Matt Smith and the last few seasons of Doctor Who. Do you think the show is going down hill? Why is it so dark anymore? Could the Doctor Who era be coming to an end? Tell me what you think please!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Matt Smith is a great Doctor.

Every era of Doctor Who has been hit and miss. (The cavemen story in "An Unearthly Child" isn't so great, but then came "The Daleks.")

I don't consider Doctor Who to be any darker than it has been in the past.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm

I love LOVE Matt Smith as The Doctor. Very Happy cheers And that's not counting his other TV and movie roles. Very Happy He his also very hot and cute in my book. cheers Razz cheers
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

To me it's not Matt Smith that is the problem. It's the way they are writing his character. If he would be on more of an even keel like the past couple of episodes instead of going manic ala Tennant, he would be terrific.

DW hasn't gotten darker. It's gotten more serious with better plotting too. If they could just get the quality of the standalones up to par with the arc eps, you have a solid show throughout.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Ah, the doom of Doctor Who thread, lol. Although there was no internet, so no threads,many thought Peter Davidson was the end of Doctor Who after the wildly popular Tom Baker. Of course, the same was then said of Colin Baker, and McCoy. People said McGann was the worst thing for Who as well. I am sure there were complaints about Pat as well. (I can't believe anyone would say anything bad about Jon!!)
As for the "darkness", that too, has come and gone through out the series. Mary Whitehouse protested the violence and fright that was affecting children. Those types of protest have followed Doctor Who for decades. That is why early McCoy episodes had a bit more slapstick and campy humor, trying to move away from the darkness of the 2nd Baker era.
For a show that thrives on change,it is amazing that so many things never change.
The rating also do not indicate a show on the decline in any sort of fashion. Who always finishes right up there with those big soap shows that the BBC has. Other shows would kill for ratings half that good!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 am

And the appreciation index ratings are pretty much solid 85+ each and every week.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
And the appreciation index ratings are pretty much solid 85+ each and every week.

Far better than the 30's Gunfighters got.....and Who survived.
Back to top Go down
Gunny
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 am

Matt Smith has become my favorite of the new Doctors. For me he has a quirkiness and just enough of an edge that makes him entertaining and just a bit menacing to the different foes he faces.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:19 am

Matt Smith has been a very good Doctor so far. The right blend of eccentricity & enigmatic presence to fill the shoes of those before him.

Sadly, the writing has been less than perfect & he's been paired with the Pond Williams' - aka The Ginger Whinger & her comedy sidekick (or lack of).

The sooner the show reverts back to Doctor Who & away from The Companion Show - the better.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am

I initially had my doubts about Matt Smith after he was cast, but I think he's just fine. My issues are with the writing and direction of the show. He is no more at fault for the percieved state of Who than Colin, Sylvester, or Paul were about their respective eras. When given good material, they all have been stellar as the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 am

Smith = good.

Moffat = bad.
(For most of the time anyway, especially series 5. Series 6 has proved awesome though.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Biggles
Biggles

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:45 pm

workstinx wrote:
The sooner the show reverts back to Doctor Who & away from The Companion Show - the better.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad to hear someone else has been thinking the same thing. While I'm not a huge fan of Matt Smith, I think it's the writing which is the real problem at the moment, as several of you already said. I don't think Matt's been given enough of a chance to really show what he can do because of the way the stories have been going, with the focus on the companions and all. I'm starting to feel like it should be called the Amy Pond show...
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Biggles wrote:
workstinx wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad to hear someone else has been thinking the same thing. While I'm not a huge fan of Matt Smith, I think it's the writing which is the real problem at the moment, as several of you already said. I don't think Matt's been given enough of a chance to really show what he can do because of the way the stories have been going, with the focus on the companions and all. I'm starting to feel like it should be called the Amy Pond show...

I agree, but for me the Last Action Amy Show is still an improvement over the Rose Tyler- Defender of the Earth Show Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
Biggles wrote:
workstinx wrote:

I agree, but for me the Last Action Amy Show is still an improvement over the Rose Tyler- Defender of the Earth Show Razz

Amy Pond - The Whingey Ginger Ninja show.
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:

Hmm, good point! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Really?

So did viewers in 1963 wonder why it wasn't "The Ian Chesterton Show?"
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Really?

So did viewers in 1963 wonder why it wasn't "The Ian Chesterton Show?"

This.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 pm

I can just see it now...

"When I was a science teacher, I had a brilliant student named Susan. Her grandfather is called The Doctor. They come from somewhere else. He has a police box called the Tardis that is bigger on the inside and can travel through time and space. One problem- he can't control it.

We left Earth in 1963, and have been trying to get back ever since."

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
I can just see it now...

"When I was a science teacher, I had a brilliant student named Susan. Her grandfather is called The Doctor. They come from somewhere else. He has a police box called the Tardis that is bigger on the inside and can travel through time and space. One problem- he can't control it.

LOVE IT!

Point is, Doctor Who has always had a big focus on the companions.
Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Oh yes, you're definitely right. It's just how I'm feeling about the show right now. But I do like Amy and Rory quite a bit--especially Rory--so it's not a bad thing to have a lot of them. But this is all just my opinion, anyway, and there have been some good moments with Amy and Rory that I've liked a lot too.

Cruel Angel wrote:
I can just see it now...

Nice one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 am

I think the big problem is that a lot of the original classic fans that have grown up with watching the original serials are too stuck in the thought that "classics are better than the new series."

What these people forget is that Doctor Who is COMPLETELY about change. The TARDIS changes, the companions change, the costumes change and EVEN the Doctor himself changes! And I think that Doctor Who has inevitibly changed over the years for a 21st century audience. And I'm sorry, but if peoples can't face that then stop watching.

Meh at the indepth look into the companions. I didn't like how Amy saved the day in about 3 (or more?) episodes of series 5 at the beginning, I can understand that, but that aspect has certainly died down now. I mean are you really trying to say that no classic companions have ever been portrayed in that way before? Ohhhhh nooo, because the classics are SO perfect!

The new series has its flaws, yes, but so does the classic series. Get over it; it's Doctor Who. For every complaint a NuWho hater makes I could make five complaints for the classics.

Moffat's writing can be bad at times, yeah... But...

A) He doesn't write EVERY episode. 'Night Terrors' was one of the poorer episodes of series 6 and that wasn't written by the Moff.
B) Series 6 is MUCH better than series 5.

I just think that a few people who grew up with classics all their lives are too hung up over the fact that it isn't the same anymore. Therefore NuWho Haters do all they can to nitpick at something in each NuWho episode.

It makes me wonder that if the classics had been continued throughout the '90s and not cancelled in 1989, maybe there would be no such thing as a NuWho hater because it would all still be classed as the same series? Or would people still hate on their favourite show? Hmm, I'm probably betting for the latter.

Doctor Who is NEVER the same. Each Doctor and each writer brings something new to the table, and that's what's great about it. That IS what Doctor Who is all about. And seriously, if you can't accept that then perhaps you're not the 'die hard fan' you thought you were?
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 am

I understand what you are saying, Scary, but even among us "classic" guys, we aren't always happy with changes in the classic series.

Many folks balk at the Third Doctor being Earth-bound largely and an "establishment" guy working for UNIT. Some folks don't like K-9 because its too silly and useless. The Fifth Doctor's companions largely get ridiculed. Some don't like the Sixth Doctor's abrasiveness or the Seventh Doctor's silliness (juggling, playing the spoons). Some prefer the production style of Barry Letts and Philip Hinchcliffe, but not Graham Williams and John Nathan-Turner. Script editors Terrance Dicks versus Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams. I could go on and on about companions.

So, its nothing new to nit-pick the things we like about Doctor Who no matter the era - classic or contemporary. I personally came to appreciate the classics by coming back to Who with the Eccleston series.

So am I a "classic" guy or a "NuWho" guy? Neither. I myself am a Doctor Who fan who likes and dislikes all kinds of things throughout the nearly 50 years of its existence. As a Pertwee guy, I can give you both "The Ambassadors of Death" or "The Sea Devils" as examples of the best of Who, or I can give you "Death to the Daleks" or "Monster of Peladon" for those being, well, not so good.

I myself don't consider my own personal criticisms of the current Eleventh Doctor era as "they did it better in the 70's" as much as I think, maybe, that "they did it better a couple of years ago" - or even "I don't like this kind of storytelling or these characters" regardless of what the television program is.

As a fan of any show, we all are resistant to change. You never know how it will affect your own appreciation of it. Sometimes you like it. Sometimes you don't. It has a lot to do with what it is that makes you a fan of it in the first place. The "die hard" fan in me makes me watch it still even though I don't personally enjoy it as much. Each era and each Doctor has their place. How high or low one ranks it is personal preference. Problem is, with a show with so much history, its impossible to consider one Doctor/era without comparing it to another - classic or contemporary. At the very least, Moffet/Smith would have to be considered next to Davies/Eccleston or Davies/Tennant.

To each their own. But comparisons are inevitable.

Back to top Go down
Biggles
Biggles

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Exactly. "Personal preference" is the key phrase here.

I didn't grow up with the Classics. I came into Who with Nine, but since then I've seen both the Classics and the rest of NuWho, and I am a fan of it all. But as SeaDevil said we all have our preferences as to what Doctors/eras/companions/stories we like. Just as we all have opinions about the ones we don't like. For my own part, I am very much a fan of Eight, but I know there are people who aren't so keen on him. That's fine. I know that I like things about Who that other people might not like and I know I dislike things about Who that other people do like. And at the moment I feel that the current series isn't one of my personal favourites. Obviously others will feel different and that's fine too. I'm not trying to say that I think any era is better than another. I'm not trying to say the show shouldn't change. All I'm saying is that whether any given era of the show is good or bad is really just a matter of personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
doctorwhofan11
doctorwhofan11

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 pm

What about Moffat and the companions for season 5 and 6? What are your feelings on them?
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:07 pm

I prefer a companion like Donna - just a traveling companion who's his friend - and they were great together. The Doctor got too wrapped up in the personal lives and emotions of Rose, Martha, and Amy. Donna was refreshing because she wasn't coming on to him, he didn't fall in love with her, and all the rest of that garbage. It's unnecessary. It's tiresome. Rory is great because he doesn't want to shag the Doc.
Back to top Go down

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next