Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus Empty
PostSubject: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 am

I really loved the 1st Season of Spartacus:Blood and Sand on Starz, and was saddened to learn last year, Andy had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. This morning, I read he passed away from the disease after an 18 month fight. 39 years old. Brilliant actor.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni15252464/
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 am

On the same day as Cliff (Uncle Ben) Robertson Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm

I heard about this last night. Very sad indeed. I greatly enjoyed him as Spartacus. Wonderful actor gone too soon.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 4:30 pm

He's the only reason I watched Spartacus for a while in the first place. So sad. Sad
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:07 pm

What a shame. I tuned into Spartacus the night it first aired because I figured, "Even if it's awful, it looks like it'll be a fun, bloody 300 pastiche." But like many viewers, I was blown away by the magnificent performances (I honestly think this show was Lucy Lawless' best role ever).

Above all, Andy Whitfield brought a heart and earnestness to the role that elevated the show above its sensationalist roots. What a shame we lost such a presence so soon after we first met him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 pm

At the same time that I heard Andy Whitfield was sick I heard that they were going to recast Spartacus too. I wonder if the powers to be will go through with it now or not. BTW that's part of the reason I stopped watching because I was enthralled with Whitfield's Spartacus and I didn't want to get hooked on the show only to see him be replaced.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:55 pm

They did go through with replacing him, but they did hold the second season for a year, making a 6 episode prequel series that did not have Andy in it. When, for a brief time, it looked like Andy had beaten the sickness, they were ready to start again, they wanted him back. But, alas, his battle began again, and it became more and more obvious he was loosing. So, they made the very hard choice to re-cast. it had to be a very difficult choice to make. Filming is well underway, and the show returns in 2012. I hope the new actor is fantastic in the role, and Spartacus is a big success, that would be the greatest tribute to Andy.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus   RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:47 am

mysterylad wrote:
What a shame. I tuned into Spartacus the night it first aired because I figured, "Even if it's awful, it looks like it'll be a fun, bloody 300 pastiche." But like many viewers, I was blown away by the magnificent performances (I honestly think this show was Lucy Lawless' best role ever).

Above all, Andy Whitfield brought a heart and earnestness to the role that elevated the show above its sensationalist roots. What a shame we lost such a presence so soon after we first met him.

Agreed. I, too, was initially in it for the blood and action, but something happened on the way to the arena... I got hooked on the show because of him. As you so said, the heart and earnestness as well as the dignity portrayed brought so much to the character.
Back to top Go down

RIP Andy Whitfield Spartacus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: