20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Lucas is at it again - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1w4_2RwiJk&feature=player_detailpage#t=132s
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I got a kick out of this one Razz

Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 am

rdks wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
I hear you. I just tend to believe art is the artist's to do with as he pleases, and if in his lifetime Van Gough had decided that's what Starry Night needed, that's Van Gough's call.

I hear you, and understand, and mostly agree.

But if, say, Paul McCartney went and redid the Sgt Peppers album, and covered up a bunch of horn sections with modern synths and changed a few lyrics, then made it extremely difficult for me to be able to hear the originals on anything but an 8-track cassette, I'd be furious.

Lots of artists have updated their work over the years, but they always give the consumer/audience the choice to view the originals. Even Doctor Who, with the updated FX on some DVD's, we're given the choice which version we want to see. That's all we're really complaining about.

this is exactly what i was going to say, even down to sgt pepper. weeeiiirrrd. cheers
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:12 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
I got a kick out of this one Razz

by the time it got to raiders i was in tears.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:41 am

squishy wrote:
Cruel Angel wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Lucas needs to stop re-mining Star Wars, IMO. Do something NEW.

I think he's been tapped out since the 80s, outside of Indy Jones.

Didn't you see the 4th Indy film? The man was out of good ideas when he did that one. Lots of recycle mixed with just dumb. I saw it at the Dollar Theatre and still felt ripped off.

i liked the movie and i gotta say, if you can buy into the other three movies i dont think the fourth was leaps and bounds out of the formula, and had infinately more plot than temple of doom. Very Happy luc

i have been so frustrated with lucas's need to change things that, over the summer i rewatched the new three with commentary to try and figure out what was up with ep's 1-3 and heres what i learned.

1. lucas wants you to watch them in his new order so for all of us who grew up with the first three are pretty much screwed because we know the back story, no one was shocked when palpatin became the emporer, etc... but you were supposed to be.

2. in all his movies he puts scenes in, even if they serve to hold down, slow down, or generally make no sense, examples.
a. the pod race, he likes drag races
b. shia labouf swinging from the trees with monkees, he likes tarzan
i could give more but were all nerds if were reading this, so im sure you know.

3. lucas will do things that make no sense. i refer everyone to a scene i never noticed in episode two, but i did after he pointed it out to me, a clone trooper hits his head on a ship wall, to establish, and i cant make this up, that storm troopers are prone to hitting their heads on things so it will make continuity for episode 4 when the storm trooper hits his head on the door.

the thing that bugs me the most is that now i dont know what version is supposed to be right. i really like empire revamped. i think it looks really good and made sense. i have no problem with him cleaning up film and fixing cso bleeds, even adding things that he just couldn't do because of the special effects limitations, but han shooting second and the musical no. in jedi just make me cringe. i am also bugged by making anikan young in jedi at the end of the movie, if he had made obi wan and yoda young as well i could have bought it but not just hayden. yeah i wont be seven again, but respectfully i didnt stop watching star wars after i was seven they were important films in my life unchanged until i was 21 years old and i watched them on old vhs copies for many many years before all this crazziness started and to be honest i cant identify with the new versions of these films anymore, and i didnt really identify with the new ones, so if he keeps making them fit the spec's of the new three then these are'nt the movies i fell in love with any more, and to not allow me to buy the regular ones on top of it all the while paradeing these new versions in my face every 6 or seven years is just wrong in my opinion.

i'll close this with a final thought. as i see these commercials im prone to be sucked in, and want to buy them as i am exposed to all the slick production values of the commercials which suck you in and make you want it even though you know its gonna hurt you, and then i remember watching the promotional materials for episode one on my dvd and remembering how he sucked me in to see that stinker in the theaters and got me to buy it on dvd as well. so i say mr lucas you can do what ever you want with your movies, the fact is they are yours to do with as you please, but everytime you do i forget more and more why i liked them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 am

Ronpur wrote:
Rust wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
Like with the dreadful Star Trek 2009.....sure...the casual folks will love it, but the devoted fans, like myself....felt it was Star Trek in name only

Actually, I was quite the hardcore Trekkie in my youth, before Voyager and Enterprise squandered my good will. I personally loved Star Trek 2009.

About the way I feel, except for "lens flare"! And I did enjoy a few of Enterprise's episodes.

not to stray from star wars but i find that i enjoy enterprise alot more now that i can watch them in clumps on rerun and ive had time to decompress from the star trek fatigue that was starting to set in at that time. and i thought the new film was brilliant.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
Rust wrote:

Sad, but true. Then again, it beats drugs and alcohol. Laughing

That's what I tell those of the Not We (mainstream people) when they they give me the disapproving/ haughty/ oh that stuff is so childish look and treatment when it comes to my sci fi, horror, movies, shows, toys, comics, etc etc etc.

Most don't have anything to say when I counter with the 'how much do you spend on alcohol, nicotine, etc... and how healthy is all of that for you?' Razz

i dont care about people doing all those things, i justify my lifestyle by saying i don't mess with other peoples rights to be obsessed with what gets them excited, ive never hit or killed another person. those are the things i find important. i have friends who are so angry and when their fav college football team lose's that it ruins their whole day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:58 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I LOVED the changes in Empire Strikes Back, since it really opened up Bespin as a really big space city and not just some sets on a soundstage.

yes!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 4:02 am

bottom line. i don't hate lucas, how can you, hes the lucas, its just that ive been conditioned my whole life to throw money at him and he wont put out anything for me to through my money at!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 am

this whole thread got me excited enough to go to youtube and check out the changes and for some things i liked such as the ewok eyes and the new yoda in episode one which matchs the next two much better, and it got me thinking, if hes gonna keep screwing with the first three which were good enough to spawn his loyal fanhood unaltered, why cant he alter episode one to a version i can watch without having to lie in the shower in the fetal position.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 am

One point you made about Hayden replacing Sebastian in ROTJ. At first, I was annoyed by that,but then I got to thinking, Anakin "dies" when he becomes Vader, he was Hayden. So when Darth Vader "died", I could see his spirit reverting to that form. Once I thought of that, I was a bit more at ease with that change.

But,still,Han fired first!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

On Yoda, I'll say one thing.

I wish that in I-III he was not walking with a cane. I wish the cane didn't show up until after his big fight with Sidious where he had the Senate dropped on him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm

For a nostalgic look back at Star Wars videos of the past, check out my old posting:
https://whona.forumotion.com/t5846-happydalek-s-star-wars-video-collection
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

There have been about 10 versions of Star Wars since it was initially released. This film has been tinkered with since almost immediately after release in 1977.

The opening day release did not have the Death Star scene where Chewbacca roars and the little droid spins around and runs away. Subsequent prints had this scene.

1981 added "Star Wars: A New Hope" to the crawl.

C3P-O's line "The power beam holding the ship is coupled to the main reactor in seven locations. A power loss at one of the terminals will enable the ship to leave" was deleted in the 1981 version.

Sound effects were added and cut in almost every release. The changes never end.

Oh, and they re-dubbed Aunt Beru for the 1981 release and changed some word emphasis, plus they changed who Luke refers to when he looks over his shoulder: (1977) "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" and (1981) "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?"
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Who North America wrote:
Sound effects were added and cut in almost every release. The changes never end.

Oh, and they re-dubbed Aunt Beru for the 1981 release and changed some word emphasis, plus they changed who Luke refers to when he looks over his shoulder: (1977) "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" and (1981) "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?"

Actually it was the other way around with the Biggs/Wedge line -- it used to be "Blast it, Wedge," later becoming "Blast it, Biggs," which seemed like an odd thing to "fix." Why go through the trouble of doing that? I understand fixing Aunt Beru's voice, though -- remember the original's Irish accent? Another change of emphasis that I thought was a positive one was Luke's line to Han: "So -- you got your reward and you're just leaving?," which was originally delivered straight and flat, but was later changed to a more emphatic take where Mark Hamill more successfully conveyed that Luke was mad at Han.

Two sound effects changes that I didn't like were the Sandcrawler, which originally had really squeaky-sounding wheels that sounded like they needed to be oiled, and R2D2's projector, which originally made whirring noises like an old 16mm movie projector. But one change I definitely approved of was removing that awful, annyoing klaxon alarm that kept blaring through many of the Death Star scenes!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:06 pm

My friend pointed out that if Lucas was thorough with retconning to match the prequels, that he should have changed Ben's line about not ever owning any droids / not recognizing 3PO or R2.

But then Lucas prolly sees that as just a part of the lie about keeping Vader's true past from Luke.

Heh heh... Han can't shoot first because that would make him a baddie, but the Jedi Master and Luke's new mentor and father figure can lie to Luke as much as he wants Razz
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 pm

My favorite "mismatch" between the original and prequel trilogies is when Ben gives Anakin's old lightsaber to Luke in Star Wars, telling him "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough." Uhh, really? Well, I guess it beats the truth: "He was a good friend. Which reminds me! I have something for you. I suppose if he knew I was going to chop off his arms and legs so that he could never use this again, and if he knew he had a son, he probably would have wanted you to have this." Smile
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

this thread got me watching a new hope with commentary and the thing that struck me funny was lucas saying that one of the things that drove the success of the film was that it droped you into the fourth part of a serial and you didn't know what was going on in the context of what the mythology of star wars was, and how the story began but because the characters just own it and move on like its all normal made the film work and i agree, you could let your imagination fill in some blanks and maybe now its just not as fun because the blanks have been filled. the more ive thought about it the thing the new three really missed the ball on was the characters, their is just no real chemistry with the cast like the originals, at least for me anyway. i also gotta say one major problem ive had with the new three also, is that i just never felt like they did a good job of taking anikan from the little boy to vaderhood, i just never felt any real plot or character development that justified him turning so completly evil that he could kill jedi children.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 pm

The least that's said about Eps 1-3 the better!!

He should be tried for crimes against good taste & forced to spend life doing hard time whilst listening to an i-pod of Jar Jar Binks on a continual loop!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:52 pm

You are right about the zero chemistry. Episode 2 was especially painful. The IMAX edit was so much better since they eliminated most of the Padme and Annie goo goo gaa gaa scenes.

Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm

hitman hart wrote:
i just never felt like they did a good job of taking anikan from the little boy to vaderhood, i just never felt any real plot or character development that justified him turning so completly evil that he could kill jedi children.

Lucas is at it again - Page 5 Swcomic
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Much love for Foxtrot cheers
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
Heh heh... Han can't shoot first because that would make him a baddie, but the Jedi Master and Luke's new mentor and father figure can lie to Luke as much as he wants Razz

yeah, if Han shoots first it would make him look like a pirate or something...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Calixar wrote:
Cruel Angel wrote:

Scoundrel.....
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Lucas is at it again   Lucas is at it again - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Calixar wrote:

Scoundrel.....

Drug runner...
Back to top Go down

Lucas is at it again
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: