Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Empty
PostSubject: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Surprised there is not a thread for this already. After the dreadful remake years ago,finally, a film that lives up to the original. A totally different story, but it is leading up to something big in the next movie, too,with so many hints dropped in the story. Loved the little tributes to the original, from the stinking paws line,the Statue of Liberty model Caesar has and even Heston on the TV from 10 Commandments. I loved this Ape flick,and Andy news some recognition for his work in these CGI movies. He brings Caesar to life!.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I'll be honest, I've paid little to no attention to this movie, since I'm a big fan of the franchise and the last movie was so mind-numbingly awful.

But after reading your post and a few other reviews online I'm thinking of seeing it now. It's getting some pretty high praise.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:38 pm

I was very dubious when I first heard this was being done. But, after the reviews, and a few of my friends seeing it, I went for it. It did not disappoint. Even my parents have seen it 2 times!!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 pm

I just saw it.

WOW.

One of the best remakes/reboots I've seen. That was just amazing. What an awesome movie. Completely wipes away the stain of the last one. I haven't seen a new movie that I've liked this much in a long, long time. I've already made plans to go see it again this weekend.

Incredible.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 am

Ronpur wrote:
Loved the little tributes to the original, from the stinking paws line,the Statue of Liberty model Caesar has and even Heston on the TV from 10 Commandments.
I saw a list of some of the tributes hidden in the film, and there was about 30 spotted so far. Every name in the movie was a tribute to someone who worked on the original movie, including the names of the apes. The orangutan Maurice? Named after Maurice Evans, who played Dr. Zaius. The gorilla Buck? Named after Buck Kartalian, who played Julius. The cafe in the Gen-Sys lunch room was called Nova's Cafe. The drug, ALZ-112? The original movie was 112 minutes long. The first ape in the movie was named "Bright Eyes" - what Heston called Zira in the original.

Though my favourite had to be the news report of a 4-man Icarus crew going to Mars, then later a background news report saying the ship & crew had vanished.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am

I know that Icarus line will be very important in a sequel.....it was commanded by George Taylor!! And apparently that wasn't Heston from 10 Commandments,but anther of his biblical movies.
Bright Eyes was what Zira called Taylor,not the other way around, lol.

And I forgot the chip named Cornelia.

I am glad you liked it so much, I am still just in awe of Caesar, just fantastic. I loved the expression he had on his face on the bridge when Will finds him and yells his name. It was almost like he was caught doing something he was ashamed of to be seen by his "father".

And Lithgow, he was AMAZING too!!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

Ronpur wrote:
Bright Eyes was what Zira called Taylor,not the other way around, lol.
Darn! I thought that was cool that Caeser's mother was implied to be Zira. Oh well. I really need to watch the original again!

Ronpur wrote:
I am still just in awe of Caesar, just fantastic.
Me too. His expressions were just amazing. One of the things that made me love the movie so much.

Ronpur wrote:
And Lithgow, he was AMAZING too!!
Was he ever! I had no idea he was in it, what a nice surprise. Funny, just the other day I watched Harry & The Hendersons and a few episodes of 3rd Rock....

Though my biggest surprise of the film...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:41 am

I had just seen Lithgow (a very young Lithgow!) in "The Day After" and had totally forgot he was in that!
Back to top Go down
spacetimegeek
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree it was an excellent movie if not the best movie I have seen all summer. The hints and tributes were subtle but if you know the franchise easy to pick out. The enacted CGI Caesar was really well done, but to be expected. I think having a live actor downing motion capture CGI just gives that CGI the realistic edge in telling a series movie like this. All the motion capture actors did well. The movie was both smart and intriguing in show the how and why such a thing could occur. the little bit at the end credits was nice touch in adding to that. I would like to think the sequel will be just as well done as this one. All in all a terrific movie and homage to the original and does wipe clean away that horrible Tim Burton monstrosity.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 am

Saw it again last night.

Just as awesome as the first time. Though this time I stayed for the end credits and was surprised to see an epilogue that answered a few questions I had, namely how a bunch of apes could take over the world. I ended up feeling silly for not catching this the first time!

So if you haven't seen it yet, don't leave when the credits roll!

I'll be going again either Saturday or Sunday. I can't get enough of this movie!

Also, just found out in 1999 a Japanese toy company made a series of figures based on the 1968 film. They're pretty good and in scale with Who figures! Unfortunately they're very rare and expensive.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Medicom figures? They are nice. Still have my Cornelius, Zira and Dr. Zaius mego figures from my childhood!

Too bad there is no figure line from this movie,it could be a hit, too!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes   Rise of the Planet of the Apes EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Medicom figures?
That's them. I'd never seen them before. They looks awesome, but at the prices they're going for, I'll wait until I go back to Japan to look for them.

That's cool you still have your Megos! Mine are but a memory. Last I saw of mine was a naked, headless Ursus about 20 years ago. I've fond memories of them, though.

While there's no figures for the new movie, I'm sure there will be for the next one!
Back to top Go down

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Page 1 of 1