10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Flight Control TARDIS Empty
PostSubject: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyWed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Okay, so this has been at the top of my (and many others) wish lists and now that it's here I have to say it doesn't dissapoint. Just like I always wanted a Console Room when I was younger, I always wanted a cool TARDIS. This is it. It's AMAZING how good it looks. The way it lights up on all sides is just too cool for words. Better yet, the doors open inwards, it has the console room inside, and it does all kinds of cool effects!

I posted a short YouTube video of it in action to show the sound effects off and what you have to do to get them. The only thing that's difficult is triggering the "danger" sounds when you shake it (as you'll see) but that's not too bad. I'm definitely getting another one for safe keeping when I have a little more cash as I'm worried a bit about the doors and latches and the lights over time and this is a toy for the ages!!!

Kids are so lucky these days!

Flight Control TARDIS in action
Back to top Go down
magicman92

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 am

Awesome Video jonwes! You need to shake side to side to make it go on faster Smile Very Happy Surprised
Back to top Go down
neonlogo
neonlogo

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Just got mine yesterday, and I love it! How long have I waited for a TARDIS like this? 25 years?! The little spinning finger indent on the bottom is absolutely BRILLIANT! I do have one minor beef...The front doors are quite thin, so you can see the interior light glowing through them. But this is nothing that strategically placed pieces of tape won't cure.
I'm 37 years old, and I just spent 15 minutes setting my action figures up so they look cool. Is it too early to have a second childhood? Oh wait, I haven't left my first one yet...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/grubgun
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm

I took mine apart, NOT RECOMMENDED, and painted the inside of the doors because it was really bugging the jelly babies out of me. I put mine together again just fine, but I dont recommend it due to the springs in the bottome to make the doors close.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyFri Oct 05, 2007 10:59 am

Yeah, taking it apart would scare me. I may just go with the cardboard bits, as you never see the inside of the doors.
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 8:12 pm

I just received mine. Got the gift set with the three figures. I am very pleased overall. If I had any complaints, it might be that the small door for the telephone is a bit difficult to open. It feels like it might break if I try to force it. Also, the sound is a bit scratchy. It's great, but not as clear as I thought it might be. That being said, it is definitely one of the coolest toys I have purchased in a long time. Makes a great addition to my Who collection. Actually, it's essential to a great Doctor Who collection.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I played with it over the weekend and it certainly is awesome. It's much taller than the USB and die-cast versions and the sound effects are pretty loud which is fantastic! As for the sound scratchiness, considering it costs $40+ retail, I doubt it has a good driver in the speaker.

I want to build a motorized pedastal and just get that to spin the TARDIS. I've tried doing it myself and I've almost dropped it a few times!
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
timlord

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm

More i look at it more im disapointed! mine came with paint loss on letters.the figures had bad paint with poor martha nose having rubs.i sold my jack and martha cuz i knew these would come,now iam sorry!reminds me of toysrus cheap batman/star wars exclusives with bad paint apps and substandard rereleases.oh well live and learn!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Are you dissapointed with the TARDIS or the figures? I got my TARDIS by itself and had no issues with paint on it.
Back to top Go down
timlord

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Both .i got tardis set with figures.maybe individual boxed tardis good but the set with figures substandard!a friend had same problem buying the ten figure packs the quality not as good as single carded versions.the martha and jack that were included had horrible paint jobs!waste of$50
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Did you do an exchange? I don't have an issue with the paint as well so you probably just got a bad apple.
Back to top Go down
timlord

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 6:55 pm

No bought online and they wouldnt take back gave me same excuse as broke ratty dc directs:we our not responsible for imperfect figures if it isnt broken we cannot replace.i had a dc direct with 2 left arms and they told me same!i can understand and iam glad most got good ones!if i sound bitter iam sorry.but damit iam iam!!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 6:58 pm

That stinks timlord. I hate when retailers are like that. That's one of the reasons I buy here a lot, since they are so good about returns with messed up product.
Back to top Go down
timlord

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm

I know i wasnt sure if whona would get these.im stuck preordering alot .if whona had preorders id buy 100%from here!other sites offer preorders so iam not sure why whona doesnt.they get alot of customers.i did try signin up for email but have never recieved any? sometimes im busy cant check ten times a day and lose out like angels!im not sure what point wishlists are i dont understand?is it like when item come in we will put one up for you?or just a guage on interest of consumer?maybe just me??
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 9:42 pm

I think they don't do pre-orders because they're unsure of how many they'll get of an item in the next shipment and don't want to necessarily give you the impression that you'll be getting one. They also use a credit card authorizer that charges automatically after the order is submitted which is the most likely reason they don't do it.

As for the e-mail, I'd check your spam folder.

The wish list is for people such as myself to have a list of items that they want all in one place.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyThu Feb 28, 2008 11:54 pm

Your summary is correct:

Our system charges out when you place your order. If we took pre-orders on items without firm release dates (DVDs have firm release dates, for example), we would have your money often MONTHS before release (for example, we are now passing 6 months on certain items we were told would be available before Christmas).

If we did refunds because people were getting impatient, we would be out the merchant fees (they take their percentage up front and hit you with a per transaction fee coming and going).

Whether we took pre-orders on items like weeping angels or not, we would still be sold out of them in the same amount of time guaranteed. We can either be sold out of them 4 months before they arrive, or we can be sold out of them after they arrive. It all comes down to disparity in the assortments; we will sell out of rare figures, as will every other retailer. Now, where you buy your Werewolf and Lilith, that had better be us Smile
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 am

Who North America wrote:
Your summary is correct:

Our system charges out when you place your order. If we took pre-orders on items without firm release dates (DVDs have firm release dates, for example), we would have your money often MONTHS before release (for example, we are now passing 6 months on certain items we were told would be available before Christmas).

Sounds like my situation with another online store. My card was charged in July, and I still haven't received the Brannigan and Scarecrows wave set I ordered. I don't know if I ever will.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 5:16 am

IS THERE ANY LEFT?
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 11:28 am

The F/C TARDIS? Yes.

Edit: WhoNA F/C TARDIS page.

Last edited by mumbojumbo21 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
timlord

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 pm

most shops charge when item ships.the only way they want money up front is if you dont have credit card.i guess its the stores size,product and preference to take preorders.most charge fee if you cancel or wont allow you to cancel at all.what makes whona unique is they list quantity available which is great!and the sell mostly who items most store may only offer certain figures.i wish all shops listed quantities
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 12:35 pm

THANKS
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 3:30 pm

I wrote this on spec but it didn't get printed:
Just What The Doctor Ordered
Character Options Delivers with its Flight Control TARDIS
by Matthew Catania
Vehicles used to be an integral part of any action figure line. Just as the golden age of vehicles with state-of-the art electronic features was dawning, it was smote by rising oil prices and kids only interested in video games. Save for the occasional Batmobile and X-Wing, vehicles in scale with action figures are extinct. Character Options looks to turn back the clock on this trend, however, with its electronic flight control TARDIS.
Character Options is a British manufacturer that picked up the license for the revamp of the BBC's long-running science fiction show, Doctor Who. This program revolves around The Doctor, the thinking man's alien action hero, and his adventures in time and space. His vehicle of choice is a teleporting time machine called the TARDIS that looks like a vintage police call box on the outside. The TARDIS is as vital to the show as The Doctor himself. It's about time Character Options has released an electronic version of it in scale with its five-inch figure range.
The flight control TARDIS comes in an attractive, orange box similar to the packaging for the rest of the line. This box opens easily after snipping some tape, and is sturdy enough to survive storage. A Phillips-head screwdriver is needed to remove the TARDIS from its liner. (At least there are no twist ties.) The screwdriver also comes in handy for opening and securing its battery compartment. Batteries are not included so be sure to have three AAA batteries at the ready. The box also includes a thorough instruction sheet worth reading.
The flight control TARDIS lacks the wheels and wings found on most vehicles. It looks like a blue rectangular box, which is to its advantage since that is how it has appeared on the show for the last forty-odd years. There is a subtle wash over the blue plastic that gives the illusion of wood without being overpowering. The lettering is clean and legible on all its signs including the one that opens to display a miniature telephone. The corner panes of each window are molded with a realistic frosted texture. The on-switch is hidden discretely under its base. Once it is switched on, the engineering genius of the flight control TARDIS will strike awe in the onlooker.
When the TARDIS is picked up, the lantern on top flashes on and off as one of three de-materialization noises plays. When placed on a hard surface, the button underneath activates one of two re-materialization noises. (If placed on carpet, the lantern will blink confusedly, and there is no sound effect.) The sound effects activate as soon as it is picked up or put down so that they match the motion of the TARDIS.
Character options included a recessed spinner at the bottom of the base. By placing one finger into the recess and rotating the TARDIS by its lantern, it will emit a "warping through the space-time continuum" sound for as long as this action continues. When shaken, the TARDIS plays a noise evoking flight turbulence that is surprisingly difficult to activate. The TARDIS is designed to go into an energy-saving sleep mode if left unattended for more than three minutes; opening its doors restores power.
Its doors open inward just like in the show, revealing a photograph of the TARDIS control room lit by pulsating lights; the ambient noise that accompanies this effect gives the impression that it is breathing. All the windows and the call box signs above them will illuminate in a pale blue light. To close, gently pull the door with the door with the
phone forward and depress the spring-loaded button on its parquet floor. This shuts off the interior light and humming while the external lights stay on. The doors must be closed to operate the other features because the toy reflects the notion from the program that the TARDIS cannot travel with its doors open.
The only flaw with this TARDIS is that, unlike the one on TV, it is not bigger on the inside than the outside. This makes it difficult to fit more than one figure comfortably inside, which is problematic for The Doctor's traveling companions. You can cram a few figures inside, but the inward opening doors make it difficult to remove them. This will be noticeably more awkward when the second edition packed with The Tenth Doctor in his long coat, Martha Jones, and Captain Jack Harkness is released.
Underground Toys is importing these British beauties stateside. I got mine from Who North America, www.whona.com, for a mere $35.00. The flight control TARDIS is destined to go down in history as one of the most entertaining vehicles ever produced thanks to its fantastic interactive electronics. Now if only Character Options could make a TARDIS that can break the laws of physics...
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
riversong
riversong

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
When shaken, the TARDIS plays a noise evoking flight turbulence that is surprisingly difficult to activate

I've noticed this, did you ever figure out how to activate the turbulence noise? I've been trying for a while now but haven't got it working scratch
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Either shaking it real hard or letting it fall (make sure you're a good catcher!) for a second does the trick for me.
Back to top Go down
riversong
riversong

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Flight Control TARDIS   Flight Control TARDIS EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 10:46 pm

mumbojumbo21 wrote:
Either shaking it real hard or letting it fall (make sure you're a good catcher!) for a second does the trick for me.

Hmmmm, ok, I'll try that and see what happens :O
Back to top Go down

Flight Control TARDIS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Product Reviews & Photos-
Jump to: