Scary
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Daleks to have a rest... Empty
PostSubject: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 8:44 am

Quote :
Doctor Who writer Steven Moffat to 'rest' Daleks

The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

The Daleks were voted the scariest villains in the history of Doctor Who in a poll of fans in 2007.

Moffat said they had been defeated by the Doctor "about 400 times".

Created by Terry Nation, the Daleks are the Doctor's hugely popular enemies who have made regular appearances in the long-running science fiction show since first appearing in 1963.

Moffat said: "There's a problem with the Daleks. They are the most famous of the Doctor's adversaries and the most frequent, which means they are the most reliably defeatable enemies in the universe."

Recent episodes of the show, which stars Matt Smith as the timelord, have been criticised for being "too scary for children".

But Moffat said: "It is horror, but horror for children. It's scary in the way that a fairy story can be scary."

Original article at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932

I'm glad, personally. Since 2005 we have had 4 finales with Daleks. It sort of gets boring after a while, even though I love the Daleks to an unbelievable extent.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 12:43 pm

No surprise, Moffats been saying for years that he hates the Daleks.

He's probably still buttsore that his Daleks were so poorly received and the BBC were making him bring back the older ones.

I'd rather the Daleks came back and they give Moffat a rest. Permanently.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm

rdks wrote:

I'd rather the Daleks came back and they give Moffat a rest. Permanently.

LOL, I hope you don't mean the Daleks end his life, now, eh? Wink Razz

Agreed though. It's at times like this that he makes me miss RTD. Sad
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:32 pm

rdks wrote:
He's probably still buttsore that his Daleks were so poorly received and the BBC were making him bring back the older ones.
HA, is that really the case -- are the BBC forcing the return of the older ones?

Really, I dislike all the talk about the Daleks not being scary and/or credible villains anymore -- because whose fault is that? If you want awesome Daleks, you don't retire them, you just don't let freaking Mark Gatiss write your freaking Dalek episode. I enjoyed the Neil Gaiman ep with Sexy, but maybe Gaiman should've been permitted to write for the Daleks.

Also -- and this applies to more than just the Daleks -- recurring enemies need clean victories. I know the new series wants to present the Doctor as this larger-than-life super-duper Jesus who makes monsters quake and is always fifteen steps ahead of the game (which is part of why the astronaut shooting the Doctor plot bores me; you know somehow it's all part of his ultra-clever mess-with-your-head master plan), but in general an enemy that never wins is a villain that fails to excite. Although the old school Daleks didn't really need proper wins against the Doctor because it was so apparent that they were kicking butt across the galaxy (at least until the Movellans showed up), the Daleks' reputation has been so tarnished since those days that we need to see them winning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 3:34 pm

A resthome for daleks, HAHAAHA!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm

I would not mind seeing a Dalek story, if it did give these new Daleks a return to their evilness, and show them kicking butt. And maybe have the Doctor just barely escape with his life. That would be awesome drama!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:14 pm

when i read this today, i was really outraged. not so much by the idea of giving them a break, but because of moffat's remarks about them. i know he was trying to be funny, but it came off as snide and biased.

when i watched classic who, i always looked forward to the dalek stories. my first doctor was 5, and watching his encounter, then 6, then 7, and even glimpsing them kill the master in the tv movie made me happy. how can a doctor who fan not like the daleks (this question goes out to grand moff) ???? that would be like a superman fan saying he hated lex luthor,and wished they would get rid of him so superman could face some better villains (lex being the ultimate of course).

i'm not arguing that they haven't been overused in the new series, however, there have been some great episodes in my opinion.

series 1 : dalek was the most un-dalek like story of all doctor who, yet, it was so brilliant. the moment where the doctor told the dalek to exterminate itself, and in return, the dalek told the doctor that he would have made a good dalek was brilliant. never have roles been so reversed in the show.

series 2: doomsday i don't care what anyone says, a show that pits the daleks vs the cybermen, while getting rid of a companion, rates at the top. if they had gotten rid of billie piper/rose during any other episode, it wouldn't have had as grand a farewell as an all out battle between the two biggest baddies in doctor who history. and if i can quote a dalek from that show "you are superior in one way, dying" classic.

series 3: daleks in manhattan/evolution of the daleks was a good story, and this time, wasn't really about taking over the earth, or the universe, etc. dalek sec would have made a great classic who character, and in my opinion, in time should be remembered like davros. human daleks, human hybrid dalek, and a dalek escaping at the end. i guess moff forgot about this when he said the doctor thumps them soundly each time.

series 4: the stolen earth/journey's end while the ending was a bit of a stretch, getting there was a fun ride. davros returned (hopefully not for the last time), we get all the previous doctor's companions/spinoffs, and the earth gets stolen. not only that, we get the dreaded "true nature of the doctor". just like billie piper leaving, this would be donna noble's true last story, saving the universe, and couldn't even remember it. how i loved donna.

series 5: victory of the daleks. wait, what was that title moff? victory? what???? this wasn't part of the 400 times the doctor defeated them? you spend all this money redesigning the daleks (which i in the minority liked, and hope bring back), have them beat the doctor, only to say they are tired and stale and shouldn't be brought back? really? after beating the doctor?

ok, this rant goes towards the bbc. just because fans don't like something after one view, don't force the show to use old props (bring back the old daleks). tweak the new designs. take the humps off the backs/shoulders. but use the new colors, new designs, and bring back the daleks to defeat the doctor again. he wouldn't even have to see them, they could be using people against the doctor like puppet masters.

sorry about my long rant, this just really irked me today. after the last dalek episode, i couldn't wait for them to come back and win again. now they aren't even coming back.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:17 pm

I don't quite get the hate for Victory of the Daleks. Maybe it's because it was understated, but the Daleks won! Yeah, the Doctor foiled their plot to destroy Earth, but their real plot, to re-spawn, happened, and the Doctor couldn't stop it.

I don't care how silly a Dalek looks. If it can kill you, RUN!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:19 pm

I like the new designs as well, and simply can not wait to see the real use of the hump in a future episode! Imagine swapping out the plunger for some really evil looking appendage, slicing anything in its path!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:08 am

I love the Daleks, I want to see them again.... but I also love the idea of a break. Let some time go by. I mean, really... out of 159 stories in the classic series, what percentage of them had Daleks? Compare that to the current...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 1:23 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
how can a doctor who fan not like the daleks (this question goes out to grand moff) ???? that would be like a superman fan saying he hated lex luthor,and wished they would get rid of him so superman could face some better villains (lex being the ultimate of course).
Not that I'm a card-carrying Superman fan (I'll take any of the magnificent seven over him... except maybe Flash), but I don't much like Lex Luthor. Darkseid is so much more awesome as a villain. (Except when they make him zombie John Glover. That was freaking horrible.)

bret_owen99 wrote:
series 3: daleks in manhattan/evolution of the daleks was a good story
I still think you like this one just to be contrary. Wink Four words: DNA lightning strike transmission.

bret_owen99 wrote:
...and a dalek escaping at the end. i guess moff forgot about this when he said the doctor thumps them soundly each time. ...

series 5: victory of the daleks. wait, what was that title moff? victory? what???? this wasn't part of the 400 times the doctor defeated them? you spend all this money redesigning the daleks (which i in the minority liked, and hope bring back), have them beat the doctor, only to say they are tired and stale and shouldn't be brought back? really? after beating the doctor?
You can call these victories, but I don't count running away like a scared little fox as winning -- and in any case, these certainly aren't the kinds of victories that command respect. But really, Moff's comments extend to almost any longstanding Doctor Who enemy, since they're rarely permitted to actually win! The Master had a few definite victories, and the Daleks had a number of offscreen triumphs in the classic series (the Doctor later thwarted them, but c'mon -- they enslaved a race of invisible people!!!), but in general and especially in the 2005+ series no enemy gets the drop on the Doctor. It's part of why he can threaten armed enemies to their faces and have them cower in fear.

(By the way, does anyone recall any classic Doctor doing that? I think I remember McCoy doing it once or twice, but always from the other end of a communicator where he was safe from any nearby blaster rays.)

It's one thing to want to give the Daleks a break; it's another thing to claim to need to do so because of factors that are totally within your power to change. If Daleks aren't scary anymore, Moff, don't bench them -- make them scary again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 am

Moffat just clarified his statement. He just meant this series. Which we already knew.

Wes Crayon wrote:
If Daleks aren't scary anymore, Moff, don't bench them -- make them scary again.
I don't think he has the ability to. River Song getting one to beg for mercy was the most damaging to the idea of the Daleks as a serious threat that I've witnessed. And making them bright shiny rainbow colours is a close second. Both Moffat ideas. He shouldn't write them, neither should Mark Gatiss, and neither should Helen Raynor. Get Robert Sherman back, or get someone like Mike Tucker (whom I'm surprised hasn't written an episode of TV Who yet, seeing how connected he is to Moffat).
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 am

I just think that if we get to see these "rainbow" Daleks as cold blooded killers, maybe we will forget their bright colors make them look silly. It would be like a teddy bear becoming a Chucky-like killer, lol. And that could be very scary. But, it all boils down to story, they need a good, horrific story. Corpse on the ground, blasters burning people, the violence, the hate, the stuff Daleks are know for. If we get that, I would love to see 6 episodes a season with them!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Well at least I know that "my" Daleks aren't entirely hated... lol

As for this, I am surprised that it's not really bothering me at all. I agree with Ronpur though, we need a truly awesome Dalek episode where there is carnage. That's what spooked me with classic Dalek episodes.

I think "Blood of the Daleks" should be turned from audio into an actual episode. It was chilling to hear!
~
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

LtViperPilot wrote:
Well at least I know that "my" Daleks aren't entirely hated... lol

As for this, I am surprised that it's not really bothering me at all. I agree with Ronpur though, we need a truly awesome Dalek episode where there is carnage. That's what spooked me with classic Dalek episodes.

I think "Blood of the Daleks" should be turned from audio into an actual episode. It was chilling to hear!
~

Definitely! It'd be good to see those Human Hybrid Daleks in physical form.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

And not Dalek Sec!!
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Ronpur wrote:
And not Dalek Sec!!

No, certainly not!

Hey you know I actually did a videowith figures using a part of 'Blood of the Daleks' only it's too long to upload to Youtube. I should really get around to cutting it into two parts.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm

i just hope he doesnt' make them as "scary" as the cybermen ( i laugh during the pandorica opens).

sorry, i'm a big dalek fan. the have grown over the years. i thought that the cult of skaro and human/hybrid dalek sec were steps in the right direction.

i do agree, though, that having a dalek beg mercy to river song really castrated it. it was more to "add credit" to moffs creation, then to do anything for the dalek.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes, River better have some impressive history to make a Dalek do that.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 pm

RTD overused the Daleks. Its like the Borg on Star Trek: Voyager. On the Next Generation, they made three or four appearances, because they were just that darn powerful that Writers had a hard time coming up ways of beating them.

Then Voyager came along, and they made twenty two appearances and they lost their edge.

So I'm glad that they're giving the Daleks a break.
Back to top Go down
dr.dalek
dr.dalek

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Daleks to have a rest...   Daleks to have a rest... EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 pm

i want them to come back soon but as normal daleks instead of big bouncy tellietubby rainbow daleks of happiness
Back to top Go down

Daleks to have a rest...
Page 1 of 1