Scary
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Both were great serials! I LOVED Silurians! I think it just became my current favourite. Loved the Silurians, the storyline, the acting from the great Pertwee and just all of it. It really was a fantastic episode!

I also loved Sea Devils! It was the first time I'd ever seen Delgado in action so it was especially great for me. I loved the sword battle between the Doc and the Master, that was really cool and fun to watch. Very Happy

Great stuff! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Great stuff, indeed! Love the avi, btw. Oh, and we love you, too, Scary!
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:19 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Great stuff, indeed! Love the avi, btw. Oh, and we love you, too, Scary!

Thanks, I've adapted a new love for these Silurians you see. If I can't have a figure of him then I will at least have a good Silurian avatar! Razz

And thank you, I love everyone here too! cheers

Last edited by Scarywood on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:21 pm

As I said elsewhere, this original story of the Silurians was soooo much better than than that predictable rehash rubbish last year.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Got to tell you, though, Warriors of the Deep is a big letdown. So don't get your hopes up...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:22 pm

You need to get yourself a Dapol Silurian figure until CO releases one.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Glad you're enjoying the Classics, Scary! You've got some great episodes.

So now you've seen them, how do you compare the Silurians, old vs new?

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 6:45 pm

rdks wrote:
Glad you're enjoying the Classics, Scary! You've got some great episodes.

What new Silurians? Razz
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree with Cruel Angel. There have been no new Silurians. Those lizard people last year were "homo reptilia."
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:04 pm

The best part of the Silurians for me was the ending, and what the Brig did to them as he obeyed his orders. It was shocking and the reaction of Pertwee as the Doctor was so perfect.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Great serial thru and thru... but the thing I liked most about Silurians was just a little part of it- seeing the Doctor be the super scientist trying to come up with the antidote to the Silurian plague.

Is why I like the early UNIT days, they really let him do his science stuff, and Pertwee sold it well. Before and after, I don't think they really devoted much time to showcase the Doctor's scientific skills outside of time travel knowledge.

I have the same reaction with McCoy and Star Trek 4. Yes, he's always been a doctor, but it was a treat to actually hear him really sling medical terminology and arguing with the surgeon over the symptoms and diagnosis.

"He came to his answers in 10 minutes! You had a team of mathematicians working on it for a month!"

- Sir Keith Gold to Prof. Stahlman, "Inferno"
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
As I said elsewhere, this original story of the Silurians was soooo much better than than that predictable rehash rubbish last year.

rdks wrote:

The classic Silurians win hands down! Although the Silurian two parter was probably my favourite two episodes from series 5, they still do not compare to the original Silurians.

SeaDevil wrote:
Got to tell you, though, Warriors of the Deep is a big letdown. So don't get your hopes up...

Yeah, that one's next on the list of to watch (though I do have a sudden urge to watch 'Destiny' again - probably because of the upcoming figure set). It doesn't look too bad to me though I do get that feeling it won't be as good as the original Silurian and Sea Devil episodes. Would you say that it was a letdown because the originals were so good or just because it was bad?

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
You need to get yourself a Dapol Silurian figure until CO releases one.

You know I thought of that and may well do so! The sculpt looks fantastic, as does the Tetrap and the Sea Devil and the rest of their monsters really. Had only Dapol got the Doctors perfected then I'd probably have got them by now!

Cruel Angel wrote:
Great serial thru and thru... but the thing I liked most about Silurians was just a little part of it- seeing the Doctor be the super scientist trying to come up with the antidote to the Silurian plague.

Is why I like the early UNIT days, they really let him do his science stuff, and Pertwee sold it well. Before and after, I don't think they really devoted much time to showcase the Doctor's scientific skills outside of time travel knowledge.

I have the same reaction with McCoy and Star Trek 4. Yes, he's always been a doctor, but it was a treat to actually hear him really sling medical terminology and arguing with the surgeon over the symptoms and diagnosis.

"He came to his answers in 10 minutes! You had a team of mathematicians working on it for a month!"

- Sir Keith Gold to Prof. Stahlman, "Inferno"

I said this to dad when we were watching it, that this is the reason that Pertwee is so much cooler than other Doctors in some aspects because you get to see him really figure things out for himself. I loved all the lab scenes, but then the Silurians had to come and abduct him! Razz
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Warriors was a letdown for both reasons.

The Dapol monsters were all excellent - particularly the two Silurians, Sea Devil, and Ice Warrior.

And . yes, Pertwee is cooler than the other Doctors!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Oh, back to Doctor Who and the Silurians. Major props to Liz, without whom the cure may not have been found in time. Love to Liz Shaw and the wonderful Caroline John!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Oh, back to Doctor Who and the Silurians. Major props to Liz, without whom the cure may not have been found in time. Love to Liz Shaw and the wonderful Caroline John!

Much love for Liz cheers So much better when the companions have brains and they are partners / a team .

Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils DWStorage-5

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Brains are sexy!

(and they were a splendid team!)

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

I think The Cave Monsters (I read the novel YEARS before I saw the programme) was when the 3rd Doctors era truly started for me. I did see Inferno, but when I finally saw everything in order Spearhead from Space didnt seem like it was Pertwee Who just yet. Or maybe because there wernt any vidoetaped interiors.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:

Much love for Liz cheers So much better when the companions have brains and they are partners / a team .

Agreed. After watching episodes with both Liz and Jo, I think I can safely say that Liz was the more favourable companion! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 pm

I prefer Liz, but I do, however, adore Jo. She is sweet and makes a wonderful team with Jon as well. Sarah Jane was great, too! He was a very lucky guy, wouldn't you say?!
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 am

SeaDevil wrote:
I prefer Liz, but I do, however, adore Jo. She is sweet and makes a wonderful team with Jon as well. Sarah Jane was great, too! He was a very lucky guy, wouldn't you say?!

Oh yes, he was very lucky for a lot of things! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 am

Liz was brilliant from the beginning, a very capable assistant. She was fantastic. But she had nowhere to grow, she as great from the beginning, another season, and she may have gotten boring. Jo, on the other hand, had a long way to grow. Compare here first episode ith the Master to her last with him. In the first, he easily controlled her, in the final encounter, she was able to shake off his attempts. Everything she learned from the Doctor, made her a better companion, although with the same goofiness that we loved. Sarah was a bit of the opposite. In the beginning she as a liberated journalist, but sort of devolved into a bit of a screamer. Thank god we had such a great actress in the role, that we still get to enjoy Sarah all these years later.
Jon's girls, I love them all for different reasons. I sure hope we see Liz Shaw on SJA some day.

Oh, Liz had AWESOME LEGS!!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Liz was brilliant from the beginning, a very capable assistant. She was fantastic. But she had nowhere to grow, she as great from the beginning, another season, and she may have gotten boring. Jo, on the other hand, had a long way to grow. Compare here first episode with the Master to her last with him. In the first, he easily controlled her, in the final encounter, she was able to shake off his attempts. Everything she learned from the Doctor, made her a better companion, although with the same goofiness that we loved.
Well said! Jo's character really did evolve nicely. One of the few classic companions whose character actually developed as her tenure progressed. As much as I love Sarah, there's really not much difference in her between The Time Warrior and Hand of Fear. But when you compare Jo in Terror of the Autons vs The Green Death, she's changed quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Very true, rdks. You can actually start to see a change as early as Curse of Peladon.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:31 pm

I would have liked to see The Doctor give the Brig a good sucker punch in the stomach for what he did.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils   Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 am

The Castellan wrote:
I would have liked to see The Doctor give the Brig a good sucker punch in the stomach for what he did.

The Doctor would never do that.....Venusian Karate perhaps, but no sucker punch!! LOL
Back to top Go down

Doctor Who and the Silurians/Sea Devils
Page 1 of 1