29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Ronpur, both Ghosts of N-Space and Paradise of Death are available from the iTunes store and Audible.com here in the US. That's how I got my hands on them.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 am

I have never tried them.
Anyway, I was reading in a obit about Nick, he was supposed to be in The Wedding of Sarah Jane with David. But his health prevented it. That would have been amazing to have him meet another Doctor. And I am glad RTD wanted to keep using him, even if it wasn't on the main show.
Back to top Go down
Chronotis

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 pm

I have just heard this news....
Words have in fact failed me....
I am truly saddened by the loss of Our Brigadier...
Salute Sir and Rest Now...
You will be missed....

Back to top Go down
doc272
doc272

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 am

Rest in peace nick you will be missed. Sad
Now all we need is a 5in figure of him that we can display next to our doctors.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 11:28 am

There has been a web page set up to donate to the Marie Curie hospice that cared for Nick in his final days. You can donate in his memory.

http://www.justgiving.com/nicholascourtney
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Babelcolour has done a beautiful tribute:

Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Good man, that Babelcolour Chap. Very Happy

I teared up a little when I was watching Battlefield yesterday. I can't believe how much this man's death has actually hit me.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 pm

CGren123 wrote:

I teared up a little when I was watching Battlefield yesterday. I can't believe how much this man's death has actually hit me.

When I first heard the news, the line that kept going through my head-

"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. He's all yours from now on."

Sad
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
CGren123 wrote:

When I first heard the news, the line that kept going through my head-

"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. He's all yours from now on."

Sad

That's the bit that got me rather tearful Sad
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 11:31 pm

CGren123 wrote:

I feel the same. For someone I never met, I have never been this upset over a death of someone famous. I was not this upset when I learned Pertwee died.
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

“Twinkle Twinkle”
by Neil Harris
from Doctor Who Magazine #402, pg. 47

I’ve always had a problem with UNIT. Growing up with late 70s and 80s Doctor Who, it’s always felt slightly not-quite-right-that, for a couple of years in the early 1970s, the Doctor spent all his time on Earth working for the army. That’s not what I think of when I think of Doctor Who. I think of an iconoclastic wanderer in the fourth dimension, not an establishment figure messing with test tubes in a laboratory.

And even now, I don’t quite get those stories. Oh, I appreciate and admire them – they’re disconcertingly well-made, beautifully constructed, and Jon Pertwee is never anything less than glorious – but they don’t feel like Doctor Who to me. Maybe it’s the way everything is a sort-of-washed-out-greeny-brown-grey. Or maybe it’s all the saluting and standing to attention. Or all the drawn-out chase sequences down sleepy country lanes. Or all those secret scientific research bases. Or the fetishization of weaponry. Or the way the stories keep on going after Episode Four, Episode Five, and Episode Six. Or all those jeeps – oh God, the jeeps, the jeeps, the jeeps!

So it’s odd, then, that the Brigadier has become such a fundamental part of Doctor Who. He spans the eras and is the only character to have appeared with all ten Doctor Whos. Well, nearly all of them. Technically speaking he never appeared with the First Doctor, although I like to think Bret Vyon in The Daleks’ Master Plan was cloned from the Brigadier (because, let’s face it, if you had the technology, you would definitely clone the Brigadier – he’s a useful chap to have around). And, okay, so he’s only met the Sixth, Eighth, and Tenth Doctors in spin-off books, audios, comic strips, and that 1993 Children In Need fiasco. And he’s not met the Ninth yet. But apart from that, apart from the First, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth, he’s appeared with all ten Doctor Whos.

A character like the Brigadier shouldn’t be part of Doctor Who. After all, he’s the opposite of everything the Doctor stands for, right? The Doctor fights against the guys with guns and uniforms, not alongside them. And the Doctor usually defeats villains single-handedly using his wits, rather than relying upon military muscle to save the day. So what makes the Brigadier an exception to the rule? Why have we all taken the character to our hearts?

It’s easy to imagine how the Brigadier could’ve gone wrong. You just have to look at all the Brigadier surrogates the show has featured down the years – Captain Hart out of The Sea Devils, Colonel Faraday out of The Android Invasion, that guy with the bad teeth out of The Seeds of Doom. They all have one thing in common – they’re all absolutely bloody awful. Dreary, self-important upper-class berks with all the charm and personality of a bookcase. That’s what the Brigadier could have been, if it wasn’t for one important thing:

Nicholas Courtney’s twinkle.

Watch any episode with the Brigadier and you’ll see Nicholas Courtney giving a twinkly performance. Every story, he’s turning up his twinkle to ten. There’s never a twinkle-free moment when the Brig’s around.

When I say ‘twinkle,’ I mean he’s not playing it entirely straight. He’s not giving us a textbook military commander. If anything, he’s subverting that, playing against expectations, creating a character with a life beyond delivering exposition, shooting daemonically-possessed gargoyles, and giving orders to Sergeant Benton. He’s turning an underwritten and stereotypical character into something more complex, fallible, human, and, well, lovable.

We all have our favourite Brigadier moments, and they’re always the twinkly ones. “Chap with wings.” “The fellow’s bright green.” “Just once I’d like to meet an alien menace that wasn’t immune to bullets.” “Are you in pain, Doctor?” “Get off my world!” Plus every single line, every single line, from The Three Doctors. The point is, he’s never taking himself completely seriously. He always has a sense of his own ridiculousness. And that’s what sets him apart from the Farts, Haradays, and that guy with the bad teeth. The twinkle.

Fan consensus has it that the Brigadier started out as a hard-bitten, intelligent military man, and only gradually became a joke figure – a Colonel Blimp-style buffoon, as the cliché would have it – as the shows’ writers sent the character up. But fan consensus, as is so often the way, is wrong.

You only have to watch the first scene with the Brigadier from The Invasion, back in 1968. He’s explaining to the Doctor and Jamie what he’s been up to since the ‘Yeti do’ – being promoted to Brigadier, forming UNIT, etc. But watch it carefully and you can spot the subtext – he’s spending the whole scene daring them not to giggle at his hilariously fake stuck-on moustache.

Next time you watch a story with the Brigadier, pay attention to what Nicholas Courtney is doing. Watch out for the bemused smirks, the ironically arched eyebrows, and the incredulous side-glances. It’s the performance of someone who’s forever attempting to appear authoritative, who is forever trying not to laugh. I don’t mean Nicholas Courtney – I mean Lethbridge-Stewart. That’s the reason we love him so much – because the fellow is clearly not at ease being a Brigadier. In fact he finds it all rather embarrassing, but he’s doing his best to keep a straight face, to act the part, in the face of great provocation.

And that, I think, is why he works so well with the Third Doctor. The Doctor needs a figure in authority to be rude to on a regular basis – he does it more often that he uses his sonic screwdriver – but with the Brigadier, you know he never really means it, because the Brigadier is only playing at being the pompous one in order to humour the Doctor. We know that, deep down, they’re the best of friends. We know the Brigadier is, at heart, a big old softie.

Because of Nicholas Courtney’s twinkle.

Last edited by happydalek on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct my typos)
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 am

It's a beautiful piece, but I'd like to point one small detail out.

The Brigadier met the First Doctor in The Three Doctors, even if it was via a TV Screen.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am

CGren123 wrote:

The Brigadier met the First Doctor in The Three Doctors, even if it was via a TV Screen.

...and in The Five Doctors, even if it was Richard Hurndall...
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Forgot about this detail: in very, very tiny print, in the tiny margin outside the "box" that frames this article, there's a note from the editor that reads "The Brigadier met the First Doctor in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors. You're fired. -Ed."
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 1:01 pm

happydalek wrote:
Forgot about this detail: in very, very tiny print, in the tiny margin outside the "box" that frames this article, there's a note from the editor that reads "The Brigadier met the First Doctor in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors. You're fired. -Ed."

Pwned cheers
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am

I watched Seeds of Doom yesterday with the commentary, and they said that they did try to get Nick for this episode, and Android Invasion as well, but he was unavailable with another job. Too bad, as we would have had 2 more episodes with the Brigadier.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 am

SeaDevil wrote:
CGren123 wrote:

...and in The Five Doctors, even if it was Richard Hurndall...

You know, I am wanting a Hurdall figure more and more these days. As long as we get a wax work Tom with it!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:40 am

Ronpur wrote:
I watched Seeds of Doom yesterday with the commentary, and they said that they did try to get Nick for this episode, and Android Invasion as well, but he was unavailable with another job. Too bad, as we would have had 2 more episodes with the Brigadier.

Shame. I hope they got him to do Daemons commentary.

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 am

I always joked about the publicity photo of the "Five Doctors." A buddy of mine hates it when I call it "Three Doctors, the Imposter, and the Dummy."
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 am

Ronpur wrote:
You know, I am wanting a Hurdall figure more and more these days. As long as we get a wax work Tom with it!

I'm thinking a two pack with an older Susan would be good!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 am

Nick recorded a commentary with Katy and Barry years ago to the best of my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

...a Susan with tripping action!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: RIP Nicholas Courtney   RIP Nicholas Courtney - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 am

SeaDevil wrote:

...a Susan with tripping action!

And voice chip with Crying mode and 'Grandfather!' exclamations

Back to top Go down

RIP Nicholas Courtney
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4