jaredofmo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK Empty
PostSubject: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:41 pm

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010/12/dwn241210074508-bbc-america-to-air.html

In much the same way A Christmas Carol only aired hours on BBC America after it aired on BBC One in the UK, they plan to do the same with Series 6!

Some British members at IMDb were of the opinion it was too soon for the US to see a show their money had funded, a ridiculous opinion. Others were afraid BBC America would drop too many spoilers.

This is what I said there:
Quote :
As an American Anglophile, I say it's a very smart thing for BBC America to synchronize the airings of Doctor Who and any show with the UK. This will cut down on internet piracy.

Now, I understand the British being upset over their license fee, which does rightfully give them a bit of pride over the show. As I am an American, I cannot say whether or not this is an old, outdated system. However, I feel this is a separate matter. In order to watch Doctor Who legally in the UK or the US, we are required to pay. I would hope the BBC would want to lower that cost to you with higher profits from overseas. So, this may be a step in the right direction.

I feel this is only a good thing for the brand name of Doctor Who. It's long past time that the franchise tries to build some prominence in the US. And any revenue generated will eventually go back to the BBC, thus allowing them to have more money to fund shows with. I, for one, collect Doctor Who merchandise, which, through a chain of merchants, distributors, and manufacturers, money for which goes the BBC. More money for the show.

Now, as to spoilers dropping about the show: the show will still hit the UK first, the delay in America will be only hours, not days or weeks. If promotional materials drop spoilers, that's the company's fault. While BBC America may have made the bid for exclusive rights to new episodes of Doctor Who, fact remains that they are a part of BBC Worldwide, so whatever happens with the show's advertising should be monitored carefully, as with the internet, these advertisements can easily go global.

Furthermore, I would hope that American production companies would seek to better synchronize airings of their shows overseas. If not, well, the BBC, a company with shows of higher quality (in my opinion), but lower budgets, has taken a bold step forward, leaving others to follow their example.

To sum up: airing it in the US only a few hours after the UK is only a good thing for the show as it tries to find a wider international audience.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Really? Some Brits are upset that we in America will not have to wait weeks (or longer in case of the first two series) to see new episodes? Do those individuals of that opinion really think their entitlement goes so far as making us here wait? How selfish is that? Good lord, people. Surely these bozos are in the minority of our British friends.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Remind them that NuWho is partially funded by other countries, Canada being one of the biggest front line contributors. If they dont like that the budgets can always be lowered! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
rapier
rapier

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Honestly, it is the best thing BBC and BBCA could have done. Most hardcore Doctor Who fans have 'acquired' the UK airing within a couple of hours anyway.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:46 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Really? Some Brits are upset that we in America will not have to wait weeks (or longer in case of the first two series) to see new episodes? Do those individuals of that opinion really think their entitlement goes so far as making us here wait? How selfish is that? Good lord, people. Surely these bozos are in the minority of our British friends.

They are probably the same ones mad that we got the Harry Potter theme park and they didn't Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:05 pm

SeaDevil wrote:

People will get upset over every little thing. Looking at comments on various YouTube videos is proof of that! It seems that people would rather argue than agree. :/
~
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Quote :

Now, I understand the British being upset over their license fee, which does rightfully give them a bit of pride over the show. As I am an American, I cannot say whether or not this is an old, outdated system. However, I feel this is a separate matter. In order to watch Doctor Who legally in the UK or the US, we are required to pay. I would hope the BBC would want to lower that cost to you with higher profits from overseas. So, this may be a step in the right direction.

Outdated.

Stop whining and crying, UK, and just deal with the fact us Yankees like the stuff, too.
Bad enough we get boned up the ass when it comes to prices and availability of the Doctor Who figures, do NOT bone us when it comes to the damned show itself, mmmmkay? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I say now, let 'em say what they want. I'd just like for any of them to come up with a compelling argument as to why BBC Worldwide shouldn't allow it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:21 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
I say now, let 'em say what they want. I'd just like for any of them to come up with a compelling argument as to why BBC Worldwide shouldn't allow it.

It's just the entitlement thing.

"We made it therefore it should stay here for x-amount of time until WE say others can see it."

People complain about everything and feel entitled to everything.

~
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:44 pm

LtViperPilot wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

"We made it therefore it should stay here for x-amount of time until WE say others can see it."

~
Which doesn't make for a compelling argument when someone has a business to run.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
LtViperPilot wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

~
Which doesn't make for a compelling argument when someone has a business to run.

Exactly, but that won't stop people from complaining until they are blue in the face, and then some. :/

~
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Well, still don't have BBCA as an option for my cable, so no help for me.

Lucky my friend has it!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:13 pm

This was the first time tuning into BBC America since I moved back from AZ, and didn't realize they don't have the HD version. Oh well. Just have to wait for the blu rays...
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 am

Great news. No more staying off the internet for weeks at a time to avoid discussions of episodes that have aired over there but not here.

Something to consider about the "controversy"...BBC America is paying BBC proper for the rights to air these episodes, and may even be paying quite a bit more for the rights to air them on the same date as the BBC. And Americans have to pay to see BBC America...so no one's getting a free ride over here.
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK   BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:19 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Great news. No more staying off the internet for weeks at a time to avoid discussions of episodes that have aired over there but not here.

Something to consider about the "controversy"...BBC America is paying BBC proper for the rights to air these episodes, and may even be paying quite a bit more for the rights to air them on the same date as the BBC. And Americans have to pay to see BBC America...so no one's getting a free ride over here.

Well said.
Back to top Go down

BBC America to synchronize Doctor Who airings with the UK
Page 1 of 1