SeaDevil
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Which episode/story got you hooked? Empty
PostSubject: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm

I thought it would be interesting for folks to share which Doctor Who story got them hooked on the show for good. It could be the first episode you ever saw, or the one that turned the corner and made you the fan you are today!

For me it was The Ambassadors of Death. It wasn't my first Doctor Who story, but it's the one that made me want to watch more and also solidified that Jon Pertwee was my Doctor.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:27 pm

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit was the full first Doctor Who story I watched, it scared and excited me at the same time, I'd heard of Doctor Who before, but that two-parter was the one that got me hooked.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 5:49 pm

The second peter cushing dalek movie was the one that got me hooked, and also the way I found out about daleks.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Planet of the Dead. Regardless of its actual quality, it was a fun story, complete with a "Doomsday clock" plot device.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

I started watching from the start of the new series. I really liked the show, but it wasn't until halfway into the second season that I felt I really loved it, that it would be one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

I am not sure when I was hooked. But the first episode I saw was The Ribos Operation, pt 2. It sucked coming into the middle of a story, but Tom grew on me.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 am

For me, it wasn't a particular story that got me hooked. Main thing was the serial/ cliffhanger format. Gave me something to look forward to the next night to see what was going to happen next.

The other was the theme music. Fell in love with it instantly and now I have loads of versions of the theme (actual show versions, official and amateur rearrangements/ variations). I wandered channel wise into DW during Doc 4s last season (Meglos was the first I saw) and the Howell version is still my #1.
Back to top Go down
Gunny
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 am

The first episode I ever saw was The Sontaran Experiment. I think it was the charm and humor of the Doctor that got me hooked. And I thought the Sontarans were tremendous aliens. Oh, and good point Cruel Angel on the theme music that played a big part in getting me hooked.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 am

In addition to also loving the theme, I also love the "sting" that precedes the end credits. Brilliant! A good cliffhanger with the "sting" and closing theme still gives me goosebumps! I'm glad that RTD kept this formula because it still works! Definately a "hook" for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 am

SeaDevil wrote:
In addition to also loving the theme, I also love the "sting" that precedes the end credits. Brilliant! A good cliffhanger with the "sting" and closing theme still gives me goosebumps! I'm glad that RTD kept this formula because it still works! Definately a "hook" for me as well.

Definitely agree... a great cliffhanger and sting are GOLD!!!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 am

After some thought, it may have not been an episode that hooked me. I was on school break when I started watching it, and when I returned to the university, I discovered all of the books that were available. I began to buy them. The Progamme Guides, the Target novels, and those big books like Celebration. They showed me that there was a huge history to the show. I fell in love with the Pertwee era from those books, before I saw him
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyone else? C'mon, folks, tell your story.... This is a Doctor Who forum, after all...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Planet of Evil
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 pm

It was either Pyramids of Mars of Brain of Morbius on KRMA in Denver. One was my introduction, the other, which I saw a few weeks later, made me a fan. Sunday mornings, when I started, full stories were aired back to back, while weekday evenings it was single episodes. That was ca 1979/80 I think. I remember watching Tom's final year as it was 1st broadcast in the US, at least on my station, and then the summer between Tom & Peter they ran Jon's stories (while my friends & I ran around sporting floppy hats & scarves our moms had quickly knitted for us).
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Planet of the Spiders is the first one I remember, but I was watching before that. When I was 3 or 4 my aunt moved back from Wales and moved in with us, and she brought along a husband she had wed while over there. He was a Doctor Who nut and had loads of films he made by pointing a camera at the TV screen. I really took to him and watched tons of stuff with him, not just Who. He was a real inspiration to me (still is). He also got me playing guitar and listening to Frank Zappa which are my other passions beside Who.

But the episode that changed me from a casual viewer to a hardcore fan-for-life - Dalek Invasion of Earth. I watched that one so many times as a kid. I couldn't get enough of it. Strangely enough, it's one of the only DVD's I don't own.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:22 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit was the full first Doctor Who story I watched, it scared and excited me at the same time, I'd heard of Doctor Who before, but that two-parter was the one that got me hooked.

Same for me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 am

I'd have to say Rose. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doctor Who Freak
Doctor Who Freak

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 am

Umm... Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm

The first episode/story for me was The Ark In Space, back in the day when PBS showed Doctor Who stories in their entirety on Saturdays. I remember flipping channels, coming across this and becoming transfixed by the opening titles and theme; it was as if I was hypnotized. Been a fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 5:26 pm

bump...
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Which episode/story got you hooked?   Which episode/story got you hooked? EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

"Robot"...

Mind you, I was already anticipating the series because our local PBS affiliate had been advertising it for nearly two months before the actual start date (August 1982). This gave me time to dig out some StarLog magazines that had some articles. Thus I came in somewhat prepared.

Still, it was somewhat disconcerting when the the very first line is, "Look, Brigadier! I think it's starting!" and we cut to a shot of a white haired gentleman lapse-dissolving to a brown haired fellow, and, upon observing the phenomena, a military officer remarks, "Well, here we go again!" I found myself wondering, "OK, I know this is supposed to be 'the Doctor', and he can change form to save his life, but what were the circumstances that forced this particular change? What was this earlier Doctor like?" all before Tom Baker uttered his first line.

Within seconds, I was wanting to know the "backstory". So, basically, I was "hooked" then and there.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com

Which episode/story got you hooked?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: