The 2nd Doctor Roberts
SeaDevil
DoctorOlly
Scary
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Rate S5E14: A Christmas Carol
Brilliant! Superb! Molto Benne!
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap57%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 17 ]
Average/Okay
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap40%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 12 ]
Terrible
S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 pm

The narration at the beginning... which I think was the old man... said that Christmas and the Solstice (which it equated) occur in the middle of Winter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Maybe their Winter on their planet has a different timing than Earth.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 pm

He specified Earth as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 pm

In the Old Pagan Traditions, the Solstice Celebration was the midway point for Winter. Winter back then started when the Harvest was completed.
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 pm

I thought the episode was very strong--excellent writing, acting, a great message, &c. Certainly (IMO) the best Christmas special thus far, and probably in my top 25 episodes from An Unearthly Child on.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 am

Didn't like it.

I tried. I really tried. I wanted to like it. But I couldn't even make it all the way through. I shut it off with about 15 minutes left, so I'm not sure how it ended, but I can garner a pretty good guess. I didn't shut it off because I hated it, just because it couldn't hold my interest. I found my mind wandering and couldn't focus on the show to the point where I just didn't care how the rest of it went. That was 4 days ago and I haven't had the urge to watch the rest.

I think part of the problem was that I watched it on the Canadian Space channel which had an "All-Day Doctor Who Marathon" leading up to the xmas special. So right before it I watched all the previous specials and was reminded how great the show used to be.

I will say I thought Matt Smith did a tremendous job. He was very entertaining, even after watching a few hours of David Tennant. Smith's wackiness and awkwardness had me giggling more than a few times. Michael Gambon was great as well, but with an actor of his stature you'd expect nothing less.

So begrudgingly I have to give it a thumbs slightly down, but this was easily the best 11th Doctor episode yet. Head and shoulders above the backwash that was Series 5. I hope the show continues to improve so that I might enjoy it again.
Back to top Go down
denali76c
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 pm

the ship from the christmas special looks just like the ship from galaxy quest, the nsea protector:
[img=http://img154.imagevenue.com/loc597/th_94820_quest_122_597lo.jpg] [img=http://img147.imagevenue.com/loc84/th_95096_the_quest_122_84lo.jpg]

Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)   S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 6:26 pm

late to the party on this one, but here's my thoughts:

no, it wasn't a deus ex machina at the end, it was a contrived ending which moffat tends to go for(yes, i understand what a deus ex machina is, and some of rtd's ending's aren't that, yet haters still claim they are)

i liked the world they created for this episode. it was like blade runner, tim burton, and final fantasy 7 all combined into one. michael gambon's character was simple, yet tragic, yet simple again.

just like others have said, i didn't like how his controlls stopped working for him the moment he had a heart. this is the downfall of moffat. if he doesn't like something, he just changes it, not explanation. the controlls were isomorphic, not iso-heartic(i'm making that up, yes, i know). the controlls wouldn't just stop working because someone became a better person. just another example of a writer who doesn't believe in continuity.

yes, i liked all the time the doctor spent changing someone's life, however, i have a few problems with it. the doctor, knowing that a spaceship is about to crash, is awfully fun and carefree( even marrying marylin, for a guy who doesn't know how to get along with girls/amy). second, i mean b, i hate how moffat's doctor has matrix/sherlock holmes deduction skills (first demonstrated in the 11th hour, and now when he pointed out the picture behind gambon), but the doctor just overlooks the number on the outside of the girls cry-chamber? really? or when she asked if he was one of her doctor's? that really made me think less of 11. 10 would have asked. ten would have stopped everything he was doing to try to save this girls life, and maybe by doing that, saved gambon's whole life. but 11 was oblivious, and the story had to end bittersweet (another one of moffat's indulgences).

overall it was an ok episode. yes, it was a x-mas episode, just an outerspace/time travel one. i don't see how it was that much different from the x-mas invasion(happened on x-mas), or voyage of the damned. i guess it's still a rtd vs moffat war, and so far, still not sold on moffat's direction of the show.
Back to top Go down

S5E14: Christmas Special (SPOILERS)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3