21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

Dr Who References in other TV shows Empty
PostSubject: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Has anybody seen/heard dr who mentioned in other shows?
I have seen mentions in "Leverage"--the leverage team has Sylvester McCoy. Peter Davison, Tom baker and Sarah jane as False ID's. Also Hardison is a Who Fan.

In the show "Better off Ted", series 2 ep 5 has a Dalek in the discard robot room of "the company"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:09 pm

I know it's been referenced in "The Simpsons", and I have read about it being referenced in "Eureka" this year.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 pm

-Craig Ferguson's mentioned it three times in the last few months.
-Family Guy's referenced it twice.
-Robot Chicken spoofed it.
-A Cyberman was on Saturday Night Live.
-Star Trek TNG, episode "The Neutral Zone" a woman listed all the actors who played the Doctor up to Colin Baker as her descendants.
-Colbert's mentioned it twice
-Suite Life of Zack & Cody, they built a Tardis
-CSI:NY mentioned it
-Docs 4,6,8 and K9 were seen on American Dad.

There's a bunch more I'm sure, and hundreds more if you include British shows.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Buffy has had multiple references to Doctor Who;
In the Season 6 episode, Smashed, Andrew claims to have seen every episode.

I don't know if this counts, but in the Buffy Season 8 comics (which was based after the TV show ended) the Doctor and Rose had a cameo outside of Giles's apartment in England, this took place in No Future For You.
In one of the more recent comics, Buffy is dressed similarly to Jenny (the Doctor's daughter) as one of the writers/producers/whatever of the comics noticed similarities between Buffy and Jenny and decided to reference it.

In one of the Gatehouse Trilogy books (either the second or third), Giles mentions that in England, they "only had Doctor Who." (Buffy made a reference to an American show, can't remember which.)

Anthony Stewart Head, who was in School Reunion, starred as Buffy's Watcher in all 7 seasons.

Russell T Davies stated that Love and Monsters, was based on Buffy's The Zeppo (similarities being that it took the focus off the main protagonist.)

That's it... In the Buffyverse anyway.

In the Supernatural episode, Nightshifter, the Winchester brothers are interviewing someone (can't recall who), and the guy holds up a copy of a magazine with a Cybus Cyberman on the cover.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm

Invisible Man (Pilot Episode), the business card says "I.M. Foreman," a reference to "An Unearthly Child."

Loony Tunes Back in Action has Daleks appear.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 4:21 pm

rdks wrote:
-Craig Ferguson's mentioned it three times in the last few months.

I love that man
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Leverage had another reference to the Who universe - Moffat and Davies - in the last batch of eppies that aired.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Ben 10: Alien Force featured a character heavily influenced by the Doctor. A time traveling Professor who even takes on a companion to journey with him at the end of his introductory episode.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Robot Chicken's Doctor Who spoofs have been really lame. There was one with a barely recognizable Fourth Doctor standing on a baseball base, shouting "D'ya get it?" ("Who's on first." Ha ha ha... You'd really have to have some imagination to recognize that as the Doctor, and we don't see which base he's on.)

Then there was another one where the Nerd is showing a Fourth Doctor action figure and a TARDIS at show and tell and is saying what TARDIS stands for, when a freaky guy steps in and yells "NERD!!!"
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 pm

One Foot In The Grave - Victor, "I don't believe it!", somehow glues a glass to his forehead and mentions something like he feels like a Dalek. Let's not forget the same actor that played Victor (Richard Wilson) went on to guest star as Dr. Constantine in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

Are You Being Served? - Mr. Humphries, "I'm free!!!", makes a remark that Mr. Lucas' adventures give Doctor Who's a run for the money. Something like that. Let's not forget that the actor that played Mr. Lucas (Trevor Bannister) went on to star in the BF/DW audio Nocturne.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
One Foot In The Grave - Victor, "I don't believe it!", somehow glues a glass to his forehead and mentions something like he feels like a Dalek. Let's not forget the same actor that played Victor (Richard Wilson) went on to guest star as Dr. Constantine in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

Yes! I first saw that episode shortly after I started watching Who back in the 90's. My first encounter of a mention of the show.
Shortly after I saw Mister Bean playing with a Dalek in the department store.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:12 am

Last season on NCIS, in the ep "Power Down" they come across a large shipping container and they go inside... inside the innocuous container is an operative's 'sanctuary'... complete with computer workstations, multiple clothing and document choices, electronic monitoring equipment, weapon racks...

McGee gets in and looks around in awe... "Wow, this is like the Tardis!"

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 am

There was an episode of the new Knight Rider that had a Character dress up like Captain Jack for Halloween.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Anyone watch "The Big Bang Theory"? I don't, but I know the show has made a number of "Doctor Who" references, including a joke (allegedly) hilarious enough to be reprinted in "Entertainment Weekly"...

Also, the "Big Bang Theory" episode of Craig Ferguson's show featured a segment shot on the sitcom's set in which Ferguson tried to pass an "entrance exam" to become a friend to one of the characters...Craig became upset when he was rejected before getting a chance to answer any "Doctor Who" questions. (But would he have passed? As he was being shown the door, he tried to say what sounded like "the Doctor found the TARDIS in a junkyard...")

Now, the big question is: is this appearance of the "BBT" characters considered canon?

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 7:42 pm

In the second Series finale of "The Inbetweeners," Simon (Matt Smith auditioned for the role, actually) drinks a lot of energy drinks before an exam, and ends up soiling himself in the classroom. This gets around quickly, and his friends suggest he take a nickname based on it. One they suggest is "Doctor Poo."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Oh Yes Eureka. cheers Can't think of his name but he goes, "You want the TARDIS blue prints? " cheers Laughing
Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 11:03 am

The TV game show 'Jeopardy' has had some DW related questions. One of which aired constantly on a commercial.
Back to top Go down
rapier
rapier

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Old School reference The Tommorow People Season 2, The Doomsday Men :

The Tomorrow People go into space in a car, and talk about space junk the Americans leave behind in the past 15 years. Stephen replies: "And the French, and the Japanese, and the Chinese, and even the British." John replies: "Better keep a look out for a Police Box."
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:57 pm

jfh1970 wrote:

Are You Being Served? - Mr. Humphries, "I'm free!!!", makes a remark that Mr. Lucas' adventures give Doctor Who's a run for the money. Something like that. Let's not forget that the actor that played Mr. Lucas (Trevor Bannister) went on to star in the BF/DW audio Nocturne.

There was also an episode where they would get their pay packets from a machine, and the machine, when Captain Peacock tried to get his money, shouted "DO NOT PAY!" in a voice akin to a Dalek. And when Mr Humphries said to Mr Lucas, "Yes, I would like to know why the machine did that, too" Mr. Lucas said, "Maybe it got stolen by a Dalek."

There was also a toy Dalek seen in a X-mas episode of Mr. Bean.

And there was a Simpsons episode where Comic Shop Guy tried to return a sci-fi belt to some shop, and the shop's table were all shaped like the TARDIS console.
Back to top Go down
rapier
rapier

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Coupling - The Entire 3rd Season LOL
My favorite Coupling reference is when they are looking at couches is the second season and steve dives behind it to show how it can be used to hide from Daleks.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:27 pm

rapier wrote:
Coupling - The Entire 3rd Season LOL
My favorite Coupling reference is when they are looking at couches is the second season and steve dives behind it to show how it can be used to hide from Daleks.

I remember that one. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:46 am

Also in Eureka few times. Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingEng
TheAmazingEng

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Futurama has had a few references lately.

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lp3pymELPV1qbnhnpo1_500

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lp45i5UQtq1qd307po2_r1_500

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lpfyzzLdXN1qc2c6go1_500

And my personal favorite... (bottom left shelf)

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lldiffqrSl1qj6ygxo1_500
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:02 pm

TheAmazingEng wrote:
Futurama has had a few references lately.

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lp3pymELPV1qbnhnpo1_500

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lp45i5UQtq1qd307po2_r1_500

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lpfyzzLdXN1qc2c6go1_500

And my personal favorite... (bottom left shelf)

Dr Who References in other TV shows Tumblr_lldiffqrSl1qj6ygxo1_500

What episode of the RugRats was that?
Back to top Go down
TheAmazingEng
TheAmazingEng

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dr Who References in other TV shows   Dr Who References in other TV shows EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:06 am

Rugrats Season 2, Episode 1 - Toy Palace / Sand Ho
Back to top Go down

Dr Who References in other TV shows
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next