15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
reynolds
reynolds

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2010-07-29

You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Empty
PostSubject: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 pm

I saw a tshirt bearing this message once and it's very true. If this topic has been covered already please go ahead and merge this thread with the extant one, but I'd love to hear how people were first introduced to the show, how they got hooked, and who their "first" Doctor was.

For me, I was introduced to Doctor Who with the Pertwee series despite the fact that some were made before I was born. I was in 3rd grade at the time and my good friend had older brothers who were (looking back on it now) pretty big into geek culture (Who, Trek, playing D&D, listening to old school Genesis, etc)

Anyway, my friend picked up on the show via his brothers and recommended it to me based on two things:

1. It's like nothing else out there on TV. Despite (or perhaps because of) its low-budge SFX it was I
possibly cool

2. It had the greatest theme song ever conceived

I got to know Doctor Who initially via the UNIT years, watching soldiers clamber up mountains of shale to fire machine guns uselessly at approaching monsters. This show was the province of cooler older brothers, and I felt much cooler for having watched it. Eventually I fell in love with the imagination displayed in the writing and the creativity of the producers. Starting to rewatch some classic episodes on Netflix, it's easy to see why Baker's Doctor is so popular, but Pertwee will always be the Doctor I got to know the series with.

What's yours?
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 am

My first Doctor has to be David Tennant, as I caught the last 2 minutes of Doomsday while flicking through the channels, and I kept thinking about the show from then on, not seeing it on TV for a while.

However, while I was at my friend's house I noticed he had the first volume DVD of series 1, and said I could borrow it. So I was hooked by Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper as the Doctor and the companion and a couple of weeks later I saw reruns of series 2 on UK Gold and then I immediately warmed to David's exciting, mad, brave Doctor.

My parents got me the complete series 2 DVD for Christmas that year and I watched them all in about 3 days. And as they say, the rest is history.

David was "my" Doctor, I believe, because just seeing the last 2 minutes of Doomsday, persuaded me to watch other episodes and I grew to love it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 am

I have vague memories of seeing Pertwee during the early 70s when they tried to bring the series over, but failed. But, I really got into it in college with Tom during the Key to Time series. But, Pertwee is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 am

Tennant was my first proper Doctor which is why I still find it hard to see Matt as "The Doctor."
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 am

Mine was David Tennant in Planet of the Dead, but after reading up on Doctor Who, I knew it was going to change soon, so I caught up on the series with the knowledge that he wouldn't be the Doctor forever. I haven't seen enough of the classic Doctors (though 2 is awesome), but I really like 'em all.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Mine was David Tennant in Planet of the Dead, but after reading up on Doctor Who, I knew it was going to change soon, so I caught up on the series with the knowledge that he wouldn't be the Doctor forever. I haven't seen enough of the classic Doctors (though 2 is awesome), but I really like 'em all.

Yeah, Troughton is indeed one of my top favourite Doctors! But you are right, all of the Doctors are pretty amazing but you gotta love those B&W episodes just a little more! Razz
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 am

scarywood wrote:
Tennant was my first proper Doctor which is why I still find it hard to see Matt as "The Doctor."

I actually don't find it hard to see Matt as the Doctor, which I thought I would at first, but I think he's really taken to the role, in fact, he's one of my favourite Doctors now!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:41 am

My first proper Doctor was McGann, having only prior seen the occasional episode here and there, but when delving back to past Doctors, Pertwee became my absolute favorite. I like the action/adventure aspect of his period and he is magnetic as the Doctor. He also had the very best in companions and supporting characters throughout his period including Liz, the Brig, Jo, Benton, Yates, the Master, and Sara Jane. Most of kis stories were pretty solid due to arguably the best script editor/producer combination in Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts, respectively - who amazingly were the team for all five years!. I could watch The Ambassadors of Death, Inferno, The Sea Devils, Frontier in Space or The Daemons almost any day. He may not have been my first, but he is the one I loved first.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
scarywood wrote:

I actually don't find it hard to see Matt as the Doctor, which I thought I would at first, but I think he's really taken to the role, in fact, he's one of my favourite Doctors now!

Well yes, he is a great actor and has taken to the role, yes. But I just think the stories aren't allowing him to give his full potential. It's no fault of Matt's, of course, just Moffat not being able to handel a full series. Then again, that's another topic. Wink
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 10:23 am

scarywood wrote:
DoctorOlly wrote:
scarywood wrote:

Well yes, he is a great actor and has taken to the role, yes. But I just think the stories aren't allowing him to give his full potential. It's no fault of Matt's, of course, just Moffat not being able to handel a full series. Then again, that's another topic. Wink

Ha, yeah, I agree, some of the episodes weren't up to RTD standard, but they were fun and entertaining, which is what Doctor Who is meant to be Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 10:44 am

DoctorOlly wrote:
scarywood wrote:
DoctorOlly wrote:
scarywood wrote:

Ha, yeah, I agree, some of the episodes weren't up to RTD standard, but they were fun and entertaining, which is what Doctor Who is meant to be Smile

That is very true! Very Happy

Nonetheless, David Tennant FTW! Razz
Back to top Go down
SuperJoshe
SuperJoshe

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am

Doctor Who was brought to my attention by a co-ed, and the premise intrigued me. I started with Eccleston's Doctor and worked my way forward, but the Ninth Doctor will always have a special place in my hearts.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 am

SeaDevil wrote:
My first proper Doctor was McGann, having only prior seen the occasional episode here and there, but when delving back to past Doctors, Pertwee became my absolute favorite. I like the action/adventure aspect of his period and he is magnetic as the Doctor. He also had the very best in companions and supporting characters throughout his period including Liz, the Brig, Jo, Benton, Yates, the Master, and Sara Jane. Most of kis stories were pretty solid due to arguably the best script editor/producer combination in Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts, respectively - who amazingly were the team for all five years!. I could watch The Ambassadors of Death, Inferno, The Sea Devils, Frontier in Space or The Daemons almost any day. He may not have been my first, but he is the one I loved first.

Couldn't have put it better myself! What a magical team they were. His era may have continued a few more years, if it weren't for tragic loss of Roger.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 pm

scarywood wrote:
DoctorOlly wrote:
scarywood wrote:

Same here. I mean, Matt Smith only recently showed the emotional depth of the Doctor at the end of "The Pandorica Opens". For the rest of the series he was either really hyper or pissed off. It got old real quick for me, as I was very much used to David Tennant's Doctor and how he could hit various depths flawlessly. For the most part, it seemed like he was forcing us to like him, which made me resent him. It didn't help that a few comms were basically insisting that if you had a problem with Matt Smith, clearly you were hung up on Tennant and couldn't get over him. That was during the time that I was getting more interested in the Eighth Doctor and had watched a few episodes of Four, Two, and One... so I wasn't very happy about that.

So Tennant is my first Doctor, and my favourite Doctor is McGann. I just favour what they bring to the character, emotionally, much more than what little Matt Smith does. Perhaps his antics appeal to the younger people more, it just irritates me. I'm still hoping that he can impress me in this next series, so we'll see. I haven't given up on him entirely. He's just not one of "my Doctors".
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 pm

reynolds wrote:
I'd love to hear how people were first introduced to the show, how they got hooked, and who their "first" Doctor was.

I would like to know where you saw that T-shirt. "First Doctor" is different than "my doctor". I have mentioned it somewhere else on the forums, but I started watching the new series to see Billie Piper in something other than Secret Diary of a Call Girl. It seemed to me that she was somewhat well known, yet I had no idea who she was. So, I found out about Doctor Who. At this point, I vaguely remembered ads for Doctor Who when it was first coming to the Sci-Fi Channel years before (This was, of course, back when the Sci-Fi Channel was actually Sci-Fi and actually watchable, before they dived into the tv-movie route with titles like Mega Dinosaur Mansquito Apocalypse. Anyway, I said "why not" and started watching the first season on itunes, with Rose. So, I guess my first doctor was Eccleston.

I continued the first season, not sure if I wanted to continue for the whole series, since I was aware Billie Piper didn't appear in each episode and the cast would soon change. At this point, I wouldn't say I was "hooked". By the end of the first season and the beginning of the second, I was "hooked". By the end of the second, I was in love with the show, and David Tennant's portrayal. So, Tennant would be "my doctor", for me. It was after season 2 that I found out about Torchwood, and buying the DVDs for both shows became a must for me. In the course of about a week or maybe two, I bought all four seasons of NuWho, and all three of Torchwood (the specials hadn't come out yet). From there, well, came an overwhelming collection of Who merchandise and toys that I never expected. I have introduced it to many people I know as well.

In terms of the classic series, I wanted to watch it for a while, but never knew where to start. I thought the most logical place to start was with a Sarah Jane episode, since I was already familiar with the character. So, I watched part 1 of The Hand of Fear, and hated it. I felt it was incredibly boring, and didn't want to continue. I wasn't going to give up, though, so I watched The Ark in Space, which I loved each part of, thus realizing that with the classic series, there would be stories that I loved and ones I would hate. Still, now that I have seen many stories, I love one and hate the following one. I keep mentioning it, but I seriously have to start watching the third doctor. I still haven't been introduced to the third or sixth doctors.

I have to admit, Mega Dinosaur Mansquito Apocalypse sounds like a bundle of laughs at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Thete
Thete

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

I just favour what they bring to the character, emotionally, much more than what little Matt Smith does.
~

Thats what Paul Mcgann calls him in one of his interviews. Made me laugh so much You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_razz . 8 is easily one of my favourites, even though ive only seen the movie atm. He is a scouser like myself after all You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Thete wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

I just favour what they bring to the character, emotionally, much more than what little Matt Smith does.
~

Thats what Paul Mcgann calls him in one of his interviews. Made me laugh so much You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_razz . 8 is easily one of my favourites, even though ive only seen the movie atm. He is a scouser like myself after all You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_biggrin

lol I'm glad that someone agrees! You should listen to some of the audios, they are quite good! Very Happy

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:37 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Thete wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

lol I'm glad that someone agrees! You should listen to some of the audios, they are quite good! Very Happy

~

Indeed! Storm Warning is fantastic! Looking for some more, actually. I want some Dalek ones! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 pm

scarywood wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Thete wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

~

Indeed! Storm Warning is fantastic! Looking for some more, actually. I want some Dalek ones! Very Happy

-Blood of the Daleks (two parter-Lucie Miller)
-Terror Firma (Charley Pollard)
-Time of the Daleks (Charley Pollard)

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm

8years old. Awake at midnight with basic cable. Flipping and i come across End of the World.

Christopher E was my first doctor.
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Thete wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

~

-Blood of the Daleks (two parter-Lucie Miller)
-Terror Firma (Charley Pollard)
-Time of the Daleks (Charley Pollard)

~

I second on recommending Terror Firma; it was the first Big Finish audio I listened to as it was included in the Davros DVD boxset, and it was brilliant, I'm hoping to buy more of the 8th Doctor audios as I loved him in Terror Firma.
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Ten was my official first Doctor as that was when I first really got into watching Doctor Who. I started with series 2, then went back to series 1 and went forward from there. Between Eccleston and Tennant I loved Tennant's version more because he was very dynamic in the emotional levels. He could go from silly to dead serious at the drop of a hat.

As for Matt Smith, I just wasn't getting into his version all that much. It was like he was a kid on a sugar high all the time always bouncing around and everything. It wasn't until "The Pandorica Opens" that I started to like him. He showed us some more of the emotional side of the Doctor, which was lacking throughout most of series 5.

And, while I know Ten is my first official Doctor, he was not my first look into DW. Several years ago, say late 80's, while on a vacation I happened to turn the tv on in the hotel and the channel I flipped to first had the end of an episode. I can't say which Doctor it was or anything like that really.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm

My ''first'' docter was peter cushing, great docter. I loved docter Who as soon as I saw him in the second dalek movie, Then I watched the first movie, both were great. You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: You Never Forget Your First Doctor    You Never Forget Your First Doctor  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:
My ''first'' docter was peter cushing, great docter. I loved docter Who as soon as I saw him in the second dalek movie, Then I watched the first movie, both were great. You Never Forget Your First Doctor  Icon_biggrin

As good as those movies were, I have a hard time picturing Peter Cushing as the Doctor. Not to say he was a bad Doctor or anything because he wasn't. It's just that Peter Cushing will forver be Grand Moff Tarkin for me.
Back to top Go down

You Never Forget Your First Doctor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next