Whovian
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Is there anyone else besides me who is tired of the Hogwarts magic in Doctor Who?

If you have seen the 9th or 10th Doctor's regeneration cycles, the Master shooting lightning out of his hands, or the 8th Doctor movie Rolling Eyes then you know what I am talking about.

I want a return back to the technological days of Doctor Who.

I wonder what the thought process is for the current writers..."We don't know how to finish this scene intelligently...I've got it! Let's add some Hogwarts magic!"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Nah, I love the little bits of magic. It's fun and fits the times we live in. Wink

~
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Whovian wrote:
Is there anyone else besides me who is tired of the Hogwarts magic in Doctor Who?

If you have seen the 9th or 10th Doctor's regeneration cycles, the Master shooting lightning out of his hands, or the 8th Doctor movie Rolling Eyes then you know what I am talking about.

I wonder what the thought process is for the current writers..."We don't know how to finish this scene intelligently...I've got it! Let's add some Hogwarts magic!"

The 8th Doctor movie came out way before Harry Potter did. Therefore inspiration can not be credited to Harry Potter. Smile
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Yes, probably.

Not me, though. I'm generally willing to accept the ol' "sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic" canard for most things, and beyond that? Well, it's a big universe, sir, lots of strange things happen. Smile
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Maybe inspiration for Harry Potter can be credited to the Eighth Doctor. But why give haters another reason to hate him?

I, too, long for the days of the technology-based Doctor...and the technological properties of the Doctor's ring... Wink
Back to top Go down
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:45 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
I, too, long for the days of the technology-based Doctor...and the technological properties of the Doctor's ring... Wink
You...you aren't referring to that ring are you? The one seen in the Tom Baker episodes? Shocked

You wouldn't dare bring that up.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:08 pm

eh, sort of. most of the time, the magic is put in there for the ending of the episode/s. rtd was bad at deus ex machina's(i'll even admit it), and most of the time you had things like lightning bolts coming out of hands, was so the ending could take place the way he wanted it to. i didn't mind, most of the time the ending's were brilliant enough(IMO) to warrant all the "magic" stuff. i think the least bit of magic ending he did was the end to the last of the timelords(barring the saiyan/burning courage reference), using the archangel network of satelites to restore the doctor was one of the most "scientific" things rtd did(though, there was some magic in it).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Whovian wrote:

Again, I stopped here, too.

*Sigh*
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:48 am

The "magic" doesn't bother me as much as the sonic screwdriver's overuse and fix-all for everything. That's getting waaaay out of hand year after year. I wish they'd use it sparingly or simply get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 am

what?! get rid of the sonic screwdriver?! how could you say that?! Hogwarts Magic Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Hogwarts Magic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogwarts Magic   Hogwarts Magic EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 9:59 am

For the reasons I stated - its overused and is a fix-all for everything. It should be a useful tool used as a toolbox all rolled into one device. Not a medical scanner, alien detector, or anything else useful to fill plot holes. The First, Second, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth doctors didn't need it to solve their problems. They had to use their brains. I realize that 2 had it but rarely used it, 5's was destroyed in "The Visitation" and the 8 had it but didn't use it (I am referring only to the TV Movie), but for all intents and purposes, they didn't use it, need it, or miss it. They got by just fine without. Heck, even the Third and Fourth Doctors didn't use it every single episode/serial and for everything to get them out of a tough situation.
Back to top Go down

Hogwarts Magic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: