Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm sure I can't be the only Dredd-fan on here...

http://www.3news.co.nz/Karl-Urban-confirms-Judge-Dredd-role/tabid/418/articleID/167422/Default.aspx

Around SDCC time rumors started floating around that Karl Urban would be playing Dredd in a reboot that was first announced in late 2008/early 2009. An alleged script also leaked onto the internet (which I may have read Embarassed ). It is apparently now confirmed that Urban will be playing Dredd and I must say I'm pretty interested to see how this take on the character turns out.

Thoughts, comments, insights? Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Karl Urban does good work. I have a good feeling about this.

Though I will miss Stallone's "AH AM DA LAW!"
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 pm

i don't know about this one. adult comics never really translate well into movie material. i've also heard they were doing a lobo movie, and that it would be pg-13. that would be awful.
Back to top Go down
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 am

I do agree with you, bret_owen and for as much as I've wanted a new and less silly Dredd movie, I also would rather not have anyone try to make a serious one and still end up failing. If the script that's out there is or has ever been a version of what they're planning to make... it's fine on paper. The actual execution of the content of that script, and of pretty much every Judge Dredd story, is where any filmmaker is going to have a problem. (I just read about Guillermo Del Toro adapting Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and have this exact same fear for that film as well) I have simultaneous excitement and apprehension.

Part of me just wants a non-Stallone Dredd so that Stallone quote Rust threw out there can, hopefully, fade in people's mind. I've got one of the old tiny Dredd figures on my desk at work next to my 10th Doctor Time Squad figure. "Elvis and 'I'm dah law', right?" is going to get someone slapped Rick James style one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 1:44 am

I didn't mind the last Judge Dredd film. It wasn't perfect, but they nailed the costumes, props, and environments. Dredd is supposed to be an American fascist cop send-up, so Stallone was well cast. The ABC War Robot was a thing of beauty.
I hope Judge Death is in it.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Nocturniah
Nocturniah

Judge Dredd reboot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judge Dredd reboot   Judge Dredd reboot EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 2:13 am

They also nailed Mean Machine Angel in the first Dredd.

I think the blame for the first one is unjustly put on Stallone (pretty much for how he said one particular line). Stallone is Stallone and everyone pretty much accepts that. Rob Schneider sort of hurt the movie because he seems so out of place with everything else that's going on. Armand Assante's performance is what really did it in for me. He has a few really good moments but most of the time I feel like I'm watching Armand Assante playing Wesley Snipes as Simon Phoenix in Demolition Man.

I've always thought Judge Death and the other Dark Judges would be seen as sequel villains by a movie studio. "Too fantasy" or some nonsense. I stand firmly by my opinion that they'd be perfect first movie villains because they're so off the wall and dark compared to pretty much everything else in comic book movies that they'd get people's attention. Especially if allowed to be as ridiculous, brutal and sometimes even funny as they are (particularly Death) in the comic.
Back to top Go down

Judge Dredd reboot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: