Redfern
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Any rationale of the domes' proximity? Empty
PostSubject: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

In the "classic" serial "Genesis of the Daleks", we have the Thals and the Kaleds (first time that "racial" name was used) engaged in a centuries long war. (Earlier adventures implied it was rather "brief" ending with the boom of a dirty neutron bomb that effectively devestated the planet. But that's not really that relevant to this discussion.)

Anyway, remember the strategist table map in the Kaled bunker? It depicted two domes, geodesic structures that supposedly encased and thus protected entire cities. And while it could argued the miniatures did not represent accurate scales, they give the impression they are just a few kilometers from each other, certainly no more than a dozen or so. This "evidence" is supported by the fact the Doctor, Harry and Sarah are able to traverse the distance in a relatively short time. Even given the idea of "time compression" for drama's sake, their journeys could have been no more than a few days at most (though it certainly seemed no more than a few hours).

My question is this. Can anyone think of ANY rationale as to why two mortal enemies, two diametrically opposed societies who have been fighting for centuries (as claimed in the story), would have, or even could have built their respective cities so #$%^ close to each other?!

Actually, I do have a "vague" scenario, but I'd like to read a few responses before I "spring it". It's certainly not fleshed out and no doubt contains more holes than a wheel of Swiss cheese. But it'll be interesting to see if someone else proposes a similar concept.

So, any "explanations"?

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:55 pm

If the cities were originally positioned at key locations for the exploitation of scarce resources, I could see two enemies "digging in" to preserve their access to said resources while hoping to deny their enemies the same. After centuries passed, the thinking--like the cities--was just to entrenched to change.

It's a bit of a stretch, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:22 pm

I have never seen a map of the planet Skaro, but perhaps the Thals and Dals, er, Kaleds were offshoots of the same original tribe, and after crossing the mountains centuries or even millenia previously, they chose to settle there as it reminded them of their homeland?

maybe Skaro is covered in tiny little islands, and this is the only land mass of appreciable size.

Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Going along the lines Hoosier did, they could have evolved over the years as two races living close and friendly and making cities then things changed and the war started. Similar to earth wars, bows arrows, swords, then guns, bombs, then lasers, etc. So the cities could have been built overtime and before they had long range weapons. The domes could have been constructed as the weapons progressed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 pm

Then again, maybe the real estate market took a 1000 yr nose dive!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 4:20 am

I prefer the TV21 comics. The Dal(ek)s were little, blue goblin-like creatures, whereas the Thals were described as a 'handsome' race of people.

I think the domed cities could have been maybe bases for war, and were later converted into shelters for the remnants of each race.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 am

The Castellan wrote:
I prefer the TV21 comics. The Dal(ek)s were little, blue goblin-like creatures, whereas the Thals were described as a 'handsome' race of people.

I think the domed cities could have been maybe bases for war, and were later converted into shelters for the remnants of each race.

Which is a fine alternate idea, but it conflicts with what we know from genesis of the Daleks. Unless the Dals/Kaleds evolved or devolved into human looking people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 11:14 am

terrasolo wrote:
Unless the Dals/Kaleds evolved or devolved into human looking people.

Isn't that what happened in the BBC line of 8th Doctor novels?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Calixar wrote:
terrasolo wrote:
Unless the Dals/Kaleds evolved or devolved into human looking people.

Isn't that what happened in the BBC line of 8th Doctor novels?

I don't think so, though I haven't read any of the novels but in an audio adventure there is a Dalek race that was created from genetically engineering human corpses and infusing bits of Dalek DNA (taken from pure Daleks that had crashed on the planet), into the human tissue to result in a Dalek with human-like emotions. Mind you, it has been a couple months since I listened to that particular audio - "Blood of the Daleks".

When the "pure" Daleks arrive at the planet following a distress signal, they learn of the mutants and become bent on destroying them.
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Any rationale of the domes' proximity?   Any rationale of the domes' proximity? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 1:12 pm

terrasolo wrote:
Going along the lines Hoosier did, they could have evolved over the years as two races living close and friendly and making cities then things changed and the war started. Similar to earth wars, bows arrows, swords, then guns, bombs, then lasers, etc. So the cities could have been built overtime and before they had long range weapons. The domes could have been constructed as the weapons progressed.

This line of thought does seem to be fairly plausible. In some instances there are hints that at one time there was peace between the two groups, but something happened and they went to war. Over time, their technology advanced, and then along came Davros who created the Daleks to be the next line of evolution for the Kaleds while the Thals were left to wither and die in the wastelands of Skaro.
Back to top Go down

Any rationale of the domes' proximity?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: