18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Torchwood: International - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 am

This could be really good, or really bad. . .
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

I'm sure it will be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 am

Who North America wrote:
Let's hope this does not go the way of the McGann movie - another partnership between BBC and a US company Evil or Very Mad

Jany

Precisely my fear.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

scarywood wrote:
Who North America wrote:
Let's hope this does not go the way of the McGann movie - another partnership between BBC and a US company Evil or Very Mad

Jany

Precisely my fear.

But what was so wrong with the movie? We gained Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor. I call that a huge plus! Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
scarywood wrote:
Who North America wrote:

Jany

Precisely my fear.

But what was so wrong with the movie? We gained Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor. I call that a huge plus! Very Happy
~

True, very true!
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, and even if this "pulls a TV Movie", so to speak, it's still an additional 10 episodes... Hey, I wish Fox had consented to make 10 episodes instead of one TV Movie, at least then we'd have enough McGann to show a marathon of.

Granted, I'm not much of a Torchwood guy-- no Doctor, no deal for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 pm

ReverendKain wrote:
Yeah, and even if this "pulls a TV Movie", so to speak, it's still an additional 10 episodes... Hey, I wish Fox had consented to make 10 episodes instead of one TV Movie, at least then we'd have enough McGann to show a marathon of.

Granted, I'm not much of a Torchwood guy-- no Doctor, no deal for the most part.

I am not so sure we would have wanted 10 episodes of what the producer planned for the Fox TV series. Give me some time and I will see if I can find he info.....
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Ronpur wrote:
ReverendKain wrote:

I am not so sure we would have wanted 10 episodes of what the producer planned for the Fox TV series. Give me some time and I will see if I can find he info.....

Oh, I know about all the terribly bad ideas that were proposed when it was going to be a complete restart from the beginning and all... the crap about the Doctor searching for his father and the Master being Lord President (although... that one... not so bad, has a bit of story potential), and remaking the Gunfighters of all things. I'm thinking more of a "What if the TV Movie was a backdoor pilot that actually worked" type scenario. Admittedly, that could have went south too, but I'll let you know if I ever manage to break the dimensional barrier and find out Wink
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:04 pm

ReverendKain wrote:
it was going to be a complete restart from the beginning and all... the crap about the Doctor searching for his father and the Master being Lord President...and remaking the Gunfighters

I've never heard about any of that before! And I never want to hear about it again! :shudders:

Thank goodness it didn't get made.
Back to top Go down
^o^CORVUS^o^
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Actually, its a very interesting story, and its covered in a fair amount of detail in "The Nth Doctor" and "Doctor Who: Regeneration".

When you read all of that, the stuff we DID get that was dodgy (half-human) is easy to take, and its easily explained-away anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Yeah, I read Nth Doctor when it came out. Some crazy ideas there. I like what we ended up with (a continuation).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
^o^CORVUS^o^
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 12:02 am

Indeed. Same here. Say what you will about the end-product that Segal gave us, but he really cared a lot about Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 am

From the sounds of it, Starz hasn't actually seen the show so there will be fiddling with it once again in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 am

Been thnking it might work. . .after all, Jack left and that left Gwyn in charge. Seeing as she now had a young one to raise and had officially promoted herself to recruiter, she begins setting up torchwood offices throughout the world. Then, so many years later, Jack either comes back or is called back because of some major crisis and he and gwyn lead the new teams in the battle against the evils of the universe. . .

Hopefully though Rhyse will be back or it'll just end up with jack and gwyn shagging throughout the ten episodes. . .
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am

I wonder if Jack will be dragging Alonso with him when he returns to earth to start up TW again.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 pm

all i want is one thing: weevils!!!

ok, i lied, two things: captain john hart

ok, i lied, three things: bring back gray

ok, this is why i hated children of earth, because it's almost impossible to bring all of those good elements of the show back.
Back to top Go down
DacaZ
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm

ReverendKain wrote:

I'm happy the way things turned out. Although I still would have liked a Paul McGann "lost" season instead of the specials we got during Tennant's '09 Hiatus.

As for Torchwood. I've tried watching it. I've made it through almost the first season. When its good, its very good, but when its bad... oh GOD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.figurefanzero.com
khana
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Torchwood is enjoyable to watch, I think, but admittedly, I keep thinking, "Ah, if only the Doctor were here!"

Just thinking of the Doctor's reaction, his fury, at the Children of Earth bit... both at the drug-user 456s and the humans willing to sacrifice other people's children... It did make me grin. Maliciously.

But that so often happens in Torchwood. It's like they're using Captain Jack as a Doctor, of sorts... all old and knowing things... he just doesn't do it as well. So I keep thinking, if only the Tardis would show up!

Plus, every single time Jack dies and comes back (which they've been using a TON compared to season 1), I cheer for Bad Wolf. It makes me grin. With amusement, though, not malice Razz

Enjoyable... though I miss the Doctor, and prefer DW, a bazillion fold.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:27 pm

khana wrote:
Torchwood is enjoyable to watch, I think, but admittedly, I keep thinking, "Ah, if only the Doctor were here!"

Just thinking of the Doctor's reaction, his fury, at the Children of Earth bit... both at the drug-user 456s and the humans willing to sacrifice other people's children... It did make me grin. Maliciously.

But that so often happens in Torchwood. It's like they're using Captain Jack as a Doctor, of sorts... all old and knowing things... he just doesn't do it as well. So I keep thinking, if only the Tardis would show up!

Plus, every single time Jack dies and comes back (which they've been using a TON compared to season 1), I cheer for Bad Wolf. It makes me grin. With amusement, though, not malice Razz

Enjoyable... though I miss the Doctor, and prefer DW, a bazillion fold.

I agree completely. While watching "The Children of Earth" I kept wishing the Doctor would arrive and completely decimate the 456. Torchwood is the better of the 2(i think theres 3 but in the U.S only 2) Spinoffs for Doctor Who. But you can never beat the original.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm

you know, i used to really like the character of captain jack. however, starting with the second season, they kept making him darker. by children of earth, he was a full blown bad guy(so while he was waiting for the doctor to show up for 100 years, he decided to trade off a bus load of kids to some aliens). then what he did to his own grandson. i'd like to think that the doctor would sacrifice a whole planet before he did the things captain jack did. i was kind of glad that jack ran away at the end. i wouldn't know how to look at him if he had just stayed on earth after all the things he had done.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:53 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
you know, i used to really like the character of captain jack. however, starting with the second season, they kept making him darker. by children of earth, he was a full blown bad guy(so while he was waiting for the doctor to show up for 100 years, he decided to trade off a bus load of kids to some aliens). then what he did to his own grandson. i'd like to think that the doctor would sacrifice a whole planet before he did the things captain jack did. i was kind of glad that jack ran away at the end. i wouldn't know how to look at him if he had just stayed on earth after all the things he had done.

In the Series 4 of Torchwood him and Gwen are both returning. Also there are gonna be some new peeps.
Back to top Go down
khana
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Jack is definitely much darker... but then, so is all of Torchwood. I think the fact that episode 2, which is the first "meaty" part of a series, after the introductions of the setting, was a sex-based enemy really means they were trying hard to make it blatantly clear from the get-go that Torchwood is NOT Doctor Who, and has absolutely no intention of even looking similar, despite the overlap in characters and universe.

I can't disagree with Jack's decisions, in a coldly logical way... fact is, sometimes you don't get to save everyone. Fact is, sometimes, you have to choose the lesser of evils.

Given the choice between your entire species, and 10% of your children... that's hard. Part of you says, "We'll fight to the death!" Part says, "Let's surrender now, build ourselves up, and wreck one heck of a vengeance." It's not an easy choice.

And then, to choose between those, and getting one, final option... the option to win this wretched fight, at the cost of only one life... your own progeny. People send their children off to war, and have done so throughout all of history. In war, people die, and at that point, a bunch of people had already died. Sometimes, you have to send someone off to their deaths.

And in that situation, only a child could. In that situation, I'd have asked the boy, if he'd be willing to give his life to save millions or billions of lives. But maybe that would have been more cruel... maybe it was kinder for the child to not know.

So I can't fault him. He did the best with the wretched situation he was given. Sure, the Doctor could do more... but if knowledge is power, that makes the Doctor nearly a god. Jack was merely a man... immortal, but no god.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:30 pm

CrochetOwl wrote:
From the sounds of it, Starz hasn't actually seen the show so there will be fiddling with it once again in one way or another.

What says that they haven't "actually seen the show"?
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: International   Torchwood: International - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 6:12 pm

i like your points khana. it just depresses me, because when jack was introduced on doctor who, he was kind of a fun character. then torchwood kept corrupting him(follow his timeline). if you ask me, the captain jack character was better off without torchwood's influence in his life(and for as many other character's that died, they might have been too).

don't get me wrong, i do like the show. it just got old, seeing either everyone killed off, or becoming darker and darker. i don't expect a happy ending every time, but once in a while would have been nice.
Back to top Go down

Torchwood: International
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2