jfh1970
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled Empty
PostSubject: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySun May 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Just found out earlier today that both Heroes and Fast Forward have been cancelled.

Even though I jumped on late I really liked Heroes for a while, but I couldn't help but see it as a cheap X-Men knockoff. In matter of fact I would find myself wondering about other fans who would act like they never heard of the X-Men before.

Fast Foward I never watched although I heard it was quite good. Even a friend of mine was trying to get me to watch it and filled me in on some of the details. I'm glad I didn't get into it because I would've been so disappointed otherwise.

It looks like V will be returning as well as Chuck. Two shows I just can't get into at all.

On non- related sci fi news Law and Order has been cancelled too, but don't worry. They're already planning a Law And Order: Los Angeles. Thank goodness I still have my Doctor Who. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySun May 16, 2010 4:12 pm

i was a huge x-men fan as a kid(the chris clairemont years), and i never thought it was a rip-off. the first season was about a group of people who didn't know each other, coming together, to stop one madman(ok, it's a little like x-men, but without prof. x, costumes, and teamwork). the second season was ok, but then it went downhill. personally, i'm glad it's over, seeing as how every year fans were continually let down.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySun May 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Though I liked it, I'm glad to see Heroes done. The last episode was a satisfying enough end.

FlashForward... they darn well better give it a decent wrap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Heroes went straight down the toilet the day they let Jeph Loeb onto the writing team. Yes, he's been gone for some time now, but the show never climbed out of the bowl after he left. Why so many comics fans keep buying the drivel he writes is beyond me...and is probably related to why I have virtually nothing in common with the average comic book fan anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySun May 16, 2010 8:33 pm

i actually thought that heroes "jumped the shark" when bryan fuller left. i am a huge bryan fuller fan (dead like me, pushing daisies, the first season of heroes), so i can tell when he is involved in the writing process or not. that's just my take on it. i think tim kring was overrated as the creator/writer, and not enough credit was given to fuller for the good character depths in the first season.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 17, 2010 12:15 am

When did Fuller leave? Was right it after the first season? I'm trying to fit that into the timeline of good Heroes vs. weak Heroes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Finally Heroes has been canceled (it's been way overdue by three seasons).
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 17, 2010 6:34 pm

fuller left right after the first season of heroes to create and write pushing daisies. i think the second season of heroes was ok, but only because the writer's strike limited it to 11 episodes. i think if the show had continued the way they had planned it(the virus spreading, sylar becoming invincible, mya being the one to be the only one to stop the virus*even though we have two heroes capable of time travel*) season 2 would have ended up as bad as season 3 and 4. if you don't believe me, watch the "extras" for season 2 where they explain where they wanted the show to go. i did watch season 3, but was so disapointed, i didn't even bother with season 4.

i think my biggest disapointment in the show was that it got old after the first 2 seasons. they needed to scrap the cast, and start new heroes and villains(at least in my opinion). the final straw came during season 3 when they decided to center the show around sylar. i'm not saying he's not a good actor, but you don't take the guy who played the "mysterious" bad guy in season one, and make the whole show about him. you ruin the mystery. and you lose track of all the actual "heroes"(hiro and ando, who was my favorite anti-stereotypes in the show, became bumbling buffoons by season 3, and that made me sick to my stomach).
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Glad Chuck is getting the nod, sad that Heroes will never be righted. First season of Heroes was truly enjoyable, but by the second the whole "well they're not really that powerful" started to come in and take over.

The thing that killed it for me was taking Peter's ability and then making him a one trick only pony. I kept watching hoping things would eventually come back to some order from the first season. Not so much the whole, everyone building to quash the big bad. I mean the "hey, this is something unexpected, how do I include it in my life, and what will my life be from here." The characters could have grown those abilities and gone on to mentor or tormentor new heroes/villains, but always giving us the chance to connect with the original core players.

Frustrating, especially when you look back and say, wow, you had the ultimate reset button to repair all corrupted and ruined storylines and you made him into a bumbling buffoon instead. AARRRRGGHHHH!!
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:08 am

I can honestly say I am glad Heroes is canceled. After the first season, it got very confusing, and while they always talked of doing something different, I got bored of the "Gotta save the world" theme. It was good to start, but to constantly use the same idea in different ways, just got really boring.

As for many of the other shows, I never really got into them enough to care one way or the other. The few shows I do watch are still on the air and will be returning next fall.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:26 am

There really isn't anything on tv that I watch religiously except DW. I am looking forward to the new comedy that William Shatner is going to be on this upcoming Fall.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 24, 2010 12:10 am

Supernatural season finale kicked @ss!!! Bummer about heroes.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 24, 2010 5:13 am

From time to time I think about watching Supernatural, but I feel I've missed to much to get into it.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon May 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Rumor has it that NBC is allowing a made-for-TV movie to wrap up any loose ends in Heroes. Now I wish I hadn't deleted my DVR program for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyTue May 25, 2010 4:49 am

There's always Netflix.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:56 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
From time to time I think about watching Supernatural, but I feel I've missed to much to get into it.

two words...dvr...tnt. Okay they're actually just letters, but TNT has picked up Supernatural and is running the old episodes. Set your DVR for capture and start stockpiling!!
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat May 29, 2010 4:03 am

timewarrior wrote:
Supernatural season finale kicked @ss!!! Bummer about heroes.

Having only seen the first of the latest season I can't wait for it to come out on dvd so I can catch up. I've been collecting the seasons on dvd and each time I do a marathon from start to finish with all the seasons. I would watch it on TV but it's usually a choice between Supernatural and CSI. However, there is also work interfering with my watching of tv.

Do we know if Supernatural is returning for another season? Last I had heard this was supposed to have been their last season (unless that changed).
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat May 29, 2010 6:11 am

gregtdj wrote:

two words...dvr...tnt. Okay they're actually just letters, but TNT has picked up Supernatural and is running the old episodes. Set your DVR for capture and start stockpiling!!

I don't have cable. I know it's a big shock in this time and age. It's not a money issue I just don't think paying through the nose for tv is worth it especially when I don't watch much nor like what's offered. I do have Netflix however which I highly recommend. Smile
Back to top Go down
Capt.Dan Parkness

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:04 am

supernatural season 6 starts september 24
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 1:32 pm

I wish that those who start off strongest, then seemingly dwindle as time goes by, would get together with those who start off weak and take off into the stratosphere.

What would have happened if JJ Abrams kicked off Babylon 5 under the oversight of JMS?

What if JMS had taken over the reins of Heroes? What if JMS guided the overall direction of LOST?

Ah well...
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Fringe premieres next Thursday on Fox!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 5:14 pm

what if shows kept doing the things that made them good in the first place, instead of making the villain into the main character, remove everyone's superpowers because of *budget constraints*, add new characters just to kill them off, and have nonsensical plotlines that go nowhere and are never resolved.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Who North America wrote:
I wish that those who start off strongest, then seemingly dwindle as time goes by, would get together with those who start off weak and take off into the stratosphere.

What would have happened if JJ Abrams kicked off Babylon 5 under the oversight of JMS?

What if JMS had taken over the reins of Heroes? What if JMS guided the overall direction of LOST?

Ah well...

Wow, I was just posting about this in another thread! LOL. If JMS had run Heroes and Lost, there would have been a plot outline through out the entire run. The entire story would have been laid out for the script writers to follow. None of this making it up as we go along stuff.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled   Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Babylon 5 really is the kind of television program these modern Sci-Fi shows need to look at, in terms of how to set up an elaborate, multi-season story. Yeah, it was only meant to be on the air for five seasons, but heck. Most shows get around 5-7.

About two years ago, I started picking up the B5 Season Box Sets and I gotta say...that show is crazy well done. Minor sequences in the first season suddenly take dramatic standing in the third season, and when you know how it ends it's really fun to go back and see where the foundations were logically laid.

Still, that's not to say B5 didn't have it's share of problems. The change of main characters really messed up Sinclair's storyline (Though they at least managed to salvage the major "twist" of his arc), but thankfully happened early enough in the series run that it didn't cause too many problems. Still, rendered the Great Machine a useless plot point.

Ivanova's part being rewritten for Season Five was also a bit of a downer. Actually, Season Five just feels excessive, since they didn't get the green light for it till the last minute, and so did a real good job of wrapping things up in Season 4. Course, it was also that stalled Green Light that caused Ivanova's actress to give into her agent's pressure and seek other employment opportunities. Thank God they taped the final episode (The only episode of Season Five where she shows up) in advance!

I still think the biggest "crime" of B5 was the abrupt termination of Talia Winters story. I mean Ivanova's departure was handled logically and I touched on Sinclair earlier. But Talia? Blegh. That just left a terrible taste in my mouth, especially when you factor in all the build up that had gone into the character.

I'd love to know what happened there to cause such a waste of time and potential. Especially since it seemed to be a Bad Blood affair, since they wasted no time in mentioning she'd never be returning to the show (By suggesting she'd been killed and dissected).

EDIT: Also, they keep trying to revive B5 as a franchise. I wish they would stop this. Crusade was far too Star Trek-y (Not to mention pointless, as the future episode of the Fourth Season basically says Humanity is going to be fine), The Lost Tales shallow, and the less said about Legend of the Rangers the better.
Back to top Go down

Heroes/Fast Foward Cancelled
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: