Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) Empty
PostSubject: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Has anyone else seen the pictures of the new
Spoiler:
in the new issue? Very different, but still look great to me. They are meant to be a different breed than the Pertwee ones, a cousin. Which is fine with me as the Sea Devils were cousins as well.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Has anyone else seen the pictures of the new
Spoiler:
in the new issue? Very different, but still look great to me. They are meant to be a different breed than the Pertwee ones, a cousin. Which is fine with me as the Sea Devils were cousins as well.

Awww I want to see. Sad

Everytime I see "Silurian" I think of the era...
~

Last edited by CJSchmidt on Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 2:11 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

Same here...and then, as an historian and an environmental scientist, I remember that there is no way the Silurian period could have produced or sustained such creatures. Those guys were native to the Permian period, at the earliest.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 2:16 pm

The 3rd Doctor himself points out this inappropriate name, though I can't remember if it's in "The Silurians" or in the later adventure "The Sea Devils". I think it's the latter.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 2:19 pm

He does, but he gets it wrong too. He suggests the Devonian period, which is also far too early. Still among my favorite monsters, though, and I'm stoked to see them again!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 2:41 pm

mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

Same here...and then, as an historian and an environmental scientist, I remember that there is no way the Silurian period could have produced or sustained such creatures. Those guys were native to the Permian period, at the earliest.

Smile

I know, have you seen "Primeval"? They have the Silurian scorpions, which, if it wasn't for the fact that I twitch horribly watching that (deathly afraid of scorpions) which are hugely inaccurate. For one, the scorpions that were around during then (I don't think it was during this particular era where they were onland yet) were only a few feet long and didn't travel very far from open water. And the ones that did grow to being as big as they were in the show lived under water...

"Primeval" is fun but very wrong a lot of times. I loved "Prehistoric Park", for all its flaws. "Primeval" got annoying for me though. :/ I just got tired of all the meat-eating creatures being the ultimate evil on the face of the earth because they kill to survive when humans kill for sport and eat meat. I'm saying this as a meat-eater too... but I truly believe in the silly saying, "Fish gotta swim, birds gotta eat."
~
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I think the Primeval producers just combined a bunch of ideas to create a monster that suited their purposes. There were some big aquatic arthropods in the Permian (eurypterids hit 8 feet long, but they were aquatic), and in the late Silurian there was mixopterus, who hit about 6 feet and could come ashore. So the seeds of the idea are there. Primeval mixed it all up, though. Their scorpions were far too big and hailed from the wrong period; unfortunately, "Carboniferous Scorpion" (which would have made a lot more sense) just doesn't have the same ring, so once again, science and history took a beating for entertainment's sake.

I didn't see them depicting the meat-eaters as evil, though. In fact, I thought the show usually did a fairly decent job of respecting those creatures' role in nature. It's been a while since I watched the series, but I don't remember the monsters being evil.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 4:59 pm

mysterylad wrote:
I think the Primeval producers just combined a bunch of ideas to create a monster that suited their purposes. There were some big aquatic arthropods in the Permian (eurypterids hit 8 feet long, but they were aquatic), and in the late Silurian there was mixopterus, who hit about 6 feet and could come ashore. So the seeds of the idea are there. Primeval mixed it all up, though. Their scorpions were far too big and hailed from the wrong period; unfortunately, "Carboniferous Scorpion" (which would have made a lot more sense) just doesn't have the same ring, so once again, science and history took a beating for entertainment's sake.

I didn't see them depicting the meat-eaters as evil, though. In fact, I thought the show usually did a fairly decent job of respecting those creatures' role in nature. It's been a while since I watched the series, but I don't remember the monsters being evil.

Maybe that was fandom derived then, because where I was at, all the predators kept getting referred to as "monsters" and after a bit of discussion, it was simply for the fact that they ate people.

I'm not sure why Primeval thought that the bigger the predator, the more scary it would be. Personally, the little rhamphorhynchoids were a lot more terrifying in their mass than the Gigantosaurus. In "Prehistoric Park" they showed the little (big) scorpion and I'm sure it was big... but I closed my eyes when it came onscreen. Did you watch series 3 at all? I won't say anything in case you haven't, but my point about them being portrayed as just mindless monsters came from that series.
~
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:18 pm

I've seen these pics before, and I'm not sure about them. I do prefer the classic ones.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:29 pm

They are very different. I can't find any pictures online, and my scanner is down. They show the new costumes, and very nice reptile heads. No light up third eye anymore. No big ears. But, the Sea Devils were very different than the Silurians. They were just another race of Earth Reptiles. I can accept these guys, too. But would love a cameo of the originals in the episode,too.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:45 pm

For once, I'm keeping this one a personal surprize. I wonder how long I can keep it up Laughing.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:46 pm

As soon as someone posts the pictures!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Ronpur wrote:
As soon as someone posts the pictures!

Hopefully we'll have a spoiler policy by then! Razz

Even so, you can tell if there's a photo on a page. The page is wider when you first enter. If that's the case, I'll just turn off my screen and run away! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptyFri May 07, 2010 10:19 pm

That's why I put spoiler in the topic of the thread. In case I get pictures. It may not be wider, if the picture is small!
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:51 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Did you watch series 3 at all? I won't say anything in case you haven't, but my point about them being portrayed as just mindless monsters came from that series.

I did, but for some reason I only remember a couple of the creatures. Wasn't that series heavily weighted in terms of the future predators? Those things are portrayed as more monster than predator, I'll grant you.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:59 am

mysterylad wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Did you watch series 3 at all? I won't say anything in case you haven't, but my point about them being portrayed as just mindless monsters came from that series.

I did, but for some reason I only remember a couple of the creatures. Wasn't that series heavily weighted in terms of the future predators? Those things are portrayed as more monster than predator, I'll grant you.

Ah yes, I almost forgot about them in the one episode. I'm glad the future in Doctor Who isn't in sepia.

Spoiler:

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:53 am

Ronpur wrote:
That's why I put spoiler in the topic of the thread. In case I get pictures. It may not be wider, if the picture is small!

This is so why this spoiler policy will struggle to work! Laughing I just can't help myself.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)   New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!) EmptySat May 08, 2010 7:30 pm

scarywood wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

This is so why this spoiler policy will struggle to work! Laughing I just can't help myself.

Yes, to avoid spoiler, you must not click the spoiler tag or go into the spoiler threads!! Something I can never stop doing either!
Back to top Go down

New DWM pictures (Spoiler topic!!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: