36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 am

So, anyone else read any of the new "official canon" books?
I've read Aftermath, Weapon of the Jedi and Smuggler's Run. Working on Moving Target now.

I'm especially interested in an implication about Boba Fett in Aftermath.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 am

I've gotten through most of them. Finished Aftermath, and now 2/3 of the way through Lost Stars. It's very good. Only one I have to read still is Battlefront: Twilight Company. I also recommend the previous hardcovers. Lords of the Sith, Heir to the Jedi, Dark Disciple (if you are a Clone Wars fan) and A New Dawn(great prequel to the Rebels cartoon). Tarkin is a great character study. Overall Disney is hitting it out of the park with new novels. I am behind on the Marvel comics though. Still have to pick up the last 2 issues of Shattered Empire.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm looking forward to Lost Stars. It sounds like an interesting take on the SWU.

I have the other books you mentioned on my wish list.

What did you make of the cameo of Boba Fett's armor in Aftermath?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Ive read Aftermath, Lost Stars, and the 3 other books with Han Leia and Luke.

Out of them all, I only liked Lost Stars. And even then all these books are written at a lower reading level than the original EU novels.

And that author of Aftermath... ick. Terrible prose style.

Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: The Difference Of 38 Years!   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Hot Toys vs. Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 38_yea10

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 38_yea12

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 38_yea13

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 38_yea14
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 6:55 pm

The new 6" TIE Fighter and Pilot. It's BIG! Those are 12" figures in the case!

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Tie_fi10
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 6:57 pm

and one more, Mr. Bean invades the Death Star!

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Star_w10

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Mr_bea10
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 8:52 pm

This is hilarious...Mark Hamill is so awesome...

Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptySun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 am

Ouch! On a $200 ($300 CAN!) figure?!?!

Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 am

Mister Bean?
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Saw it last night at the midnight opening!! AWESOME! You could really feel the HATE and emotion in the lightsaber fight at the end, and for a very good reason!! Loved the new characters, and so great to see our beloved original cast, too. I'm amazed at how much I love Rey. Just an amazing film and so promising for the future. All I want is MORE!

Now to those low and selfish human beings going around spoiling the film for people, I hope your Christmas presents are stolen and that you feel what it's like to have something spoilt. It's just a movie, sure, but I'm so gutted for those who were excited for a fun and one-off experience that has now been ruined by sadistic rebelscum-bags.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 am

Yup! We saw it yesterday too thanks to the folks of Indy PopCon for inviting us Very Happy

Pretty amazing movie everyone should go watch on IMAX 3D.

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 12:54 pm

LOVED it! Don't want to say too much, but it was really great.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I saw it earlier today. It was a very exciting movie. Obviously, left a few questions to be answered.

As a huge EU fan, who has spent decades buying and reading books and comics, I was disappointed and a bit angry, that they were all binned once Disney wanted to do the movies. Now, I find myself surprised that one of the major plotlines in some of those books was modified for these movies. And even a name was used, but for a different person!

I felt a couple of really cool characters were very under used, and I hope they get more screen time in the next movie. Han, Chewy and the Falcon looked great. Hope to see more of that ship in the next movie.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 pm

The seventh Star Wars saga film now holds the following records:

* Largest Thursday Previews: $57 million
* Largest Friday, Opening Day, Single Day: $119.1 million
* Largest Sunday: $60.5 million
* Domestic Opening Weekend: $247.9 million
* Worldwide Opening Weekend: $529 million / 4,134 theaters
* Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $59,982
* Top Opening Weekend for PG-13 Rated Film: $247.9 million
* Top Holiday Opening Weekend: $247.9 million
* Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $305.5 million
* Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross): $305.5 million
* December Single Day: $119.1 million
* Widest December Opening: 4,134 theaters
* December Opening Weekend: $247.9 million
* Fastest to $100 Million: 1 Day
* Global IMAX Opening Record: $48 million
* Domestic IMAX Opening Record: $30.1 million

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 CWxQhTKUAAArJ3T
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:57 am

I did enjoy the film.  After watching IV, V, VI this week this new film does seem to have it's own unique feel.  The Originals all have the same vibe, a different look and feel for the prequels, and now I'm expecting these new three to have their own flavor.  Larger sets, fewer glass plate shots, not as much stop motion and muppets.  Not bad, just different.  The new Rebels certainly seem a heck of a lot more competent, or the Empire/Order is just a lot more incompetent.  Will be interesting to see if the changes in government and leadership on both sides are further explained in the next film.

Just checking:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Don't hurt me if it was supposed to be obvious.  I only saw the film once so far so I may have missed some subtitles with that 7 year old bouncing around next to me.

Ronpur wrote:

As a huge EU fan, who has spent decades buying and reading books and comics, I was disappointed and a bit angry, that they were all binned once Disney wanted to do the movies.   

Books and comics tend to not mean a thing once there is a major motion picture to make.  Don't think George Lucas himself would have bothered any more than Disney did.  Didn't IDW insist that the Star Trek comics would all be in the JJ film continuity? Not sure if that ever panned out.  I didn't expect any of Lungbarrow or the rest of the Virgin/BBC novels to show up in Doctor Who once the show came back.  Maybe the odd reference for the hardcore fans, but nothing much more.  Was quite surprised that Moffat even let McGann mention his Big Finish companions (although just in a webisode where the general public wouldn't need these names explained).

As a fan of just the Star Wars films, is there a particular reason
Spoiler:
now?  Such an odd detail to add I"m assuming there must be a story somewhere in the expanded universe.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 4:35 am

Keith here... I enjoyed the new movie, much moreso than the Prequels, but I think it is a HUGE leap in logic to make C-3PO the new Dark Lord of the Sith.

Spoiler:

And, now for an observation/piece of speculation...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:45 am

squishy wrote:

Just checking:

Spoiler:

It was the new capitol, Hosnian Prime, and it's moons. Not Corusant.  As with a lot of Star Wars locations, the moons have been inhabited as well.

Ronpur wrote:

As a huge EU fan, who has spent decades buying and reading books and comics, I was disappointed and a bit angry, that they were all binned once Disney wanted to do the movies.   
squishy wrote:

Books and comics tend to not mean a thing once there is a major motion picture to make.  Don't think George Lucas himself would have bothered any more than Disney did.  Didn't IDW insist that the Star Trek comics would all be in the JJ film continuity? Not sure if that ever panned out.  I didn't expect any of Lungbarrow or the rest of the Virgin/BBC novels to show up in Doctor Who once the show came back.  Maybe the odd reference for the hardcore fans, but nothing much more.  Was quite surprised that Moffat even let McGann mention his Big Finish companions (although just in a webisode where the general public wouldn't need these names explained).

Those franchises never made the contention that these other media were cannon stories.  Star Wars did, so to compare those is not accurate, let alone what I was disappointed by, as my second sentence in that paragraph stated.  

I was disappointed that there was not an original story, they rehashed plotlines from those books, and not as effective either.  We know who Kylo Ren is, but what drove him to the dark side?  When Jacen
Spoiler:
became Darth Caedus in the novels, they took a great deal of time, years in fact, setting up his character.  We knew him and his sister, Jaina in stories for decades.  We knew what he feared.  We knew what he was trying to protect when he decided that the Dark Side was the best way to go to protect the galaxy.  His hubris convinced him that he could use the power of the Dark Side for good....he was wrong.

Kylo, we only know that he is conflicted, nothing about why he became evil.  He is rather weak, I think.  If you have to read new books to find out that back story, I think just is rather hypocritical of Disney.  Don't read their books, they don't count anymore, never mind what they said about them counting for the last 25 years, read ours, they count.....unless we change our minds again.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Saw The Force Awakens earlier today.

As much as enjoyed it, my socks remain where they are and not blown off as I'd hoped!

I feel that all the "nods" to A New Hope were JJ Abrams' way of letting all the "older" generation of fans know that the franchise will be in good hands. He even managed to squeeze in a couple of lens flares! Razz

I hope the next two movies deliver in spades.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 12:19 am

Ronpur wrote:

Those franchises never made the contention that these other media were cannon stories.  Star Wars did, so to compare those is not accurate, let alone what I was disappointed by, as my second sentence in that paragraph stated.

Ah, I had not realized Lucasfilm had once made the claim that the novels would be canon.

I knew Star Trek had made the claim, but not so sure how hard they're now trying.
Straight from Roberto Orci: Current Trek Comics are Canon!
Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:50pm

It's a bummer that Lucas had made the promise of canon at one point, but I can see that if they want to pick-up right after Return of the Jedi then the writers cannot be constrained by 20 years of fiction that may not be widely known by casual fans.  Disney wanted the original actors back at their current age in stories the actor's agents could agree to, and didn't want a 20 minute crawl at the beginning of the film to catch everyone up.  It really seems a bit of a dirty trick from the license holders to ever make such promises when they know it will all be ignored if a new franchise movie ever comes along.

I hope that the new writers at least took some of the best material from the past 2 decades to work into the new films.  Even including names, places, plots, and other easter eggs into the new movies to help please the sharp-eyed fans who invested time in a now dead-end continuity.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 12:33 am

Just been reading up on Star Wars canon on Wikipedia (since wiki is always right). I can see Disney wiping out all the old stuff, but the new claim that all future Disney publishing is equal canon to the movies seems ludicrous.

Thinking back to Highlander 2, even some movie franchises don't recognize all the movies with the original actors as canon. Highlander is probably a very bad example of a franchise keeping canon straight.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 pm

A lot of the backstory we aren't going to see in the films. They are leaving that to the new 'canon' comics and novels.

I'm not buying in though. I don't do comics anymore, and of the 5 tie in novels to Force Awakens that I read, only one of the 5 i felt was a worthwhile story...

My biggest complaint is the reading level. Not like the classic EU novels. Way too basic for my taste.

It's all good. Getting rid of those other ones... and I have all my EU novels still to enjoy.

My SW canon: classic trilogy, the classic marvel comics, and the run of EU from the time of New Hope til the Thrawn duology (before they changed labels).

Oh, and the radio dramas Smile

For those that are curious for some of the Force Awakens answers that were not addressed in the film, this was a decent article I came across. Its spoilers galore, so be warned...

Remeber, spoilers!!!!:
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 11:23 pm

The very old fashioned and ornate Rogers Theater we saw Star Wars in during late June 1977, when it finally arrived in Decatur, IL.  

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Rogers%20Theater-Star%20Wars_zpsmdipxzfr

It was "held over" at that theater until at least December.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 12:01 am

This is where in the summer of 1977 I saw a film that changed my life...
[img]The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Fa0d0011[/img]

[img]The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 889be610[/img]
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 12:35 am

My wife got me the Threepio wall light for Christmas...its pretty sweet...

I decided not to use the "smashing through the wall" sticker.

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 18 Threep12
Back to top Go down

The Official Star Wars Thread
Page 18 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next