CJSchmidt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses Empty
PostSubject: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:48 pm

My theory:

I was on a different site where a few people were complaining about Amy and how gung-ho she seems to be - to the point of out-thinking the Doctor. They were lamenting how boring it will be that we won't watch her grow into a capable companion. Well, we've seen that already with Rose, Martha and Donna. I think we're going to see Amy grow out of being a companion.

Moffat and Smith have talked about the "fairy tale quality" of the show. Amy is scared about her upcoming marriage when her childhood invisible friend whisks her away to adventure. She takes to it incredibly well as it's just the danger and excitement she's always imagined. Her imaginary friend is a little off his game and a bit green. Through their adventures she helps guide him back to the brilliant Time Lord she knows he is (acting almost like a surrogate mother). At the end of their travels, she's finally ready to put away childish things and live her normal life. The Doctor lands at the exact time and place he promised her (a running gag that now symbolizes his new-found maturity) and bids her farewell. She wakes up the next morning ready to live the rest of her life. If that isn't a by-the-book fairy tale, I don't know what is.

I'm sure I'm way off, but it's always fun to play the game. Of course, this doesn't take into account the crack that's following them around, but I don't think they've given us enough to start putting that puzzle together yet.

Anyone else have
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 pm

I like this theory quite poetic and reasonable.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 5:59 pm

cjschmidt, we have different views. i think she's a plant, that will turn on the doctor. imagine that as a little girl she was taken out of her own time(which would explain her being an orphan, and why she doesn't remember the daleks). she was planted at the exact moment and time to be the first person the doctor would meet. oh, and she was a child. i mean, the doctor would always help a poor innocent child. and then there's the crack that was in her wall. if she's out of her own time, it's her that's causing the crack to be everywhere. i think a very telling sign was in the 11th hour, when the eel creature asked the doctor "you don't know where the crack comes from, do you?". if the eel creature was inside amy's mind, it might know things she didn't, like what she's really doing with the doctor, or what time she is really from. i'm not saying that amy is evil, but more like a sleeper agent(torchwood did a great episode that would explain what i'm saying better).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:08 am

The sleeper agent theory is a good one. Right now I am just enjoying the ride and looking forward to how it will all play out.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Here's another one. I just rewatched the 11th hour and there is a moment where they show young Amy waiting for the Doctor to return (presumably the morning after he disappeared) and you hear the Tardis landing as she wakes up. What if another Tardis appeared after the Doctor left (chasing him?) and caused some kind of trouble?

OK, probably not, but that scene seemed a little mysterious to me.

I also noticed that the Daleks were featured in the "is it protected?" scene, so we aren't dealing with the past being erased or anything.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 pm

CJSchmidt wrote:
I also noticed that the Daleks were featured in the "is it protected?" scene, so we aren't dealing with the past being erased or anything.

The Atraxi did scan the Doctor's mind in that scene too so it is possible those images came from his head. Which would mean that the altered time theory is still on.

I am now wondering if it means anything (in a back tracking sort of way and not planned from day one) that Adam, Van Statten and the rest of the world of 2012 didn't know about the Daleks or Alien attacks on Earth. So either we can chalk that up to Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey or Moff might be using this as an excuse to rest modern Earth back to the innocent world we once knew and therefore giving him a blank canvas to work with.

It works well as an idea, because we know those stories really happened, but time was distorted. That said, we know Sarah and the 11th Doctor will be meeting up, so I wonder how Sarah will recall the past events.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:18 am

I was just thinking of something that the Doctor said to Amy. "Time can be rewritten." Perhaps this is a small, deliberate nod to what's happening, but how it involves Amy I have no idea. I did have another thought pertaining to a rumour that I read a long time ago that the Meddling Monk was supposed to make a return appearance. Maybe it's him that's behind Amy not knowing about the Daleks?
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 am

The Doctor has said that to Rose and Martha too, maybe even Donna. I'm sure it could have something to do with it, but they usually tell us this to let us know we are still in danger rather than think everyone will be safe in the story because we know they do things in their future.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm

terrasolo wrote:
The Doctor has said that to Rose and Martha too, maybe even Donna. I'm sure it could have something to do with it, but they usually tell us this to let us know we are still in danger rather than think everyone will be safe in the story because we know they do things in their future.

Which is confusing me to no end because in "Neverland" and "Storm Warning" it is stated that time cannot be rewritten or even changed or else doom on the universe. Then the tv show makes it okay... so now I'm really confused.
~
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 pm

The canonicity of the Big Finish audios is questionable at best, so any "rules" of time posited in Storm Warning and Neverland probably aren't going to hold sway over the TV show.

Besides, the show itself has vacillated back and forth on this subject more than a few times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:36 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
terrasolo wrote:

Which is confusing me to no end because in "Neverland" and "Storm Warning" it is stated that time cannot be rewritten or even changed or else doom on the universe. Then the tv show makes it okay... so now I'm really confused.
~

I'm not going to add more to the is it or isn't it canon debate, but I do recall the Doctor telling Barbara that history can't be rewritten in The Aztecs. I always assumed that meant all of time itself too. I vaguely remember the Doctor (forgot which one) mentioning that a "professional" like him could but it wasn't an assignment to be taken lightly.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:44 pm

I think the Doctor just feels what is set in stone and what can change. Maybe there is something between easily changed events and time monsters eating everything too.

We're also at a point beyond a Time War and the Time Lords, some things may not be what they once were. In fathers day, the Doctor says that his people would have prevented it. perhaps there were artificial safeguards in place.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 pm

I always thought the destruction of the Time Lords and Gallifrey is the reason why the Doctor and the Master for that matter regenerate standing up now. On that note I was thinking that Gallifrey escaping from the time lock briefly has something to do with this crack in space.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
terrasolo wrote:

~

Thing is the show was always doubling back on it self in this way too. In the past and in the new series. All it takes is a creative writer to think of an out. If I recall corrected the 8th Doctor tells Charley or Lucie at one point that time is not safe because it's in flux. Or maybe it was another BF Doctor.

Remember in Storm Warning they were dealing with what could be considered a fixed point in time. Neverland could have been the same. Been a while for me on these stories.

Another thing to remember is that understanding all of the rules of time travel can really do your head in, so the Doctor may just tell his companions what they need to know at the time in order to deal with the situation and not lay X amount of years on them at once.
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses   The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Exactly, as if you go by Stephen Hawking, you can't go back in time, as if there was a wormhole big enough, it would send back feedback of energy, and BOOM! There's the possiblity of going into the future, should you travel at the speed of light (or close to it)....

Too many paradoxes.
Back to top Go down

The Amy Arc - theories, conjecture & guesses
Page 1 of 1