14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 am

Just heard Katy Manning will be playing Jo Grant when she guest stars in The Sarah Jane Adventures this year with Matt Smith! Whoo-hoo! Sounds awesome! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Here's the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/04_april/19/sj_adventures.shtml
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am

Yes! So exciting!

I'd love to say I care about and watch all the spinoffs but largely it's a case of "no Doctor, no deal". But this-- this! Matt is just icing, I'd be giddy just for Katy!

bounce
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Things like this are among the many reasons I prefer The Sarah Jane Adventures to the 2005- Doctor Who series. We get Sarah Jane all the time (and she's still looking as foxy as ever), we've gotten the Brigadier, and now we're getting Jo Grant. Epic win.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm

GIGGITY!
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Jo has never been a fave of mine (preferred Liz Shaw) but in either case hopefully they will utilize her and not have her be window dressing as they did with the Brigadier. Looking forward to Sarah Jane's reaction seeing 11 being younger than ever (he'd even pass as her son).
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm

CrochetOwl wrote:
Jo has never been a fave of mine (preferred Liz Shaw) but in either case hopefully they will utilize her and not have her be window dressing as they did with the Brigadier. Looking forward to Sarah Jane's reaction seeing 11 being younger than ever (he'd even pass as her son).

i guess they could always call the show "the sarah jane cougar adventures" rofl
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm so thrilled about this news. Funny thing was that I was thinking of not bothering with the SJA this year. Then they pull two rabbits out of their hat. Not only is Jo Grant coming back, but Sarah Jane will be meeting up with the 11th Doctor as well which seems so appropriate to me.

Once again I'm surprised that Katy Manning is returning to the role since I had read that she wouldn't because her Doctor was not around any more. I wonder how Jo is going to react to the new Doctor. I was going to write about her knowledge relating to regeneration, but she must know something about it since she encountered the first two Doctors.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:24 am

I think this is great news! I was just thinking that I really didn't want to see Eleven with any past companions, with the exception of Sarah Jane [because she ROCKS!], and although I haven't really seen much, if any, of Jo [the Third Doctor is one I haven't seen much of], I love the idea she's showing up too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

Vicki wrote:
I think this is great news! I was just thinking that I really didn't want to see Eleven with any past companions, with the exception of Sarah Jane [because she ROCKS!], and although I haven't really seen much, if any, of Jo [the Third Doctor is one I haven't seen much of], I love the idea she's showing up too!

You must see Jo and the Doctor. They had a great relationship in my opinion. It was hard to describe, but there was great affection between them. Her last episode still brings a tear to my eye. (And more, if I listen to Katy's commentary) It was an emotional moment I don't remember seeing until Rose's exit in Doomsday.
Spoiler:
It was the beginning of the end for the Pertwee era, as the Unit family started to break up.

So, obviously, I am thrilled to read of Katy's return as Jo. Jo and Sarah, 2 of Jon's girls back, now bring back Liz! Liz would be so easy too, if Sarah needed some help from Cambridge.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Jo was the first companion to have any kind of relationship with the Doctor. Previous companions just came and went with little to no character development or emotional investment. We got to see Jo grow and change as a person - what a difference in between Terror of the Autons and Green Death. She was also the first companion (other than Ian and Barbara Laughing) the Doctor "didn't want" as a companion, and we got to watch them become good friends.

Her final scene was so sad! I think it was the first time the Doctor was saddened by his companions departure. He looked like his hearts were broken.

I'm so excited she's coming back. I've been going through a strong bout of Who depression lately, due to the new season being so bad. I'd even boxed up more than half my figures! Now I'm giddy and happy again! Figures are getting unpacked! Bring on September! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:43 pm

rdks wrote:
Jo was the first companion to have any kind of relationship with the Doctor. Previous companions just came and went with little to no character development or emotional investment. We got to see Jo grow and change as a person - what a difference in between Terror of the Autons and Green Death. She was also the first companion (other than Ian and Barbara Laughing) the Doctor "didn't want" as a companion, and we got to watch them become good friends.

Her final scene was so sad! I think it was the first time the Doctor was saddened by his companions departure. He looked like his hearts were broken.

I'm so excited she's coming back. I've been going through a strong bout of Who depression lately, due to the new season being so bad. I'd even boxed up more than half my figures! Now I'm giddy and happy again! Figures are getting unpacked! Bring on September! Very Happy

Definitely makes me want to seek out the third Doctor and Jo! Sorry you don't care for the new shows, though...I think they've been wonderful, myself. Looking even more forward to Sarah and Jo now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
jfh1970
jfh1970

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

One of the things that would've made this news better if it was announced that Jo and Sarah Jane would show up in the new DW series. I guess they just had too much on their plate for that.

It definitely got me thinking that once I get all the DW dvds I want I'll probably get the SJA as well. Don't feel this way about TW though.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 pm

jo was a great companion, and they actually gave her a "goodbye" episode. they didn't always do that with the old series. the only one i've been dying for since the new series would be susan, but because of the timewar, i bet they say she's dead. i still wish she should have been the one at the end of time warning wilf.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:48 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
the only one i've been dying for since the new series would be susan...i still wish she should have been the one at the end of time warning wilf.

Agreed! I would love some closure regarding Susan, and this would've been an interesting bit. Until I heard alabout RTD's reference to the Doctor's mother, I just assumed that's who the mystery Time Lady was!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 pm

The whole thing about the woman in white being the Doctor's mother is a bit of a let down for me. Of course let's not forget that RTD had written that Romana was the president during the Time War and she wasn't even seen nor mentioned during the EOT. Instead we had crazy Rassilon. Therefore the mother thing can be changed.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
The whole thing about the woman in white being the Doctor's mother is a bit of a let down for me. Of course let's not forget that RTD had written that Romana was the president during the Time War and she wasn't even seen nor mentioned during the EOT. Instead we had crazy Rassilon. Therefore the mother thing can be changed.

i have to agree with you jfh1970. i think it was romana. there is one line that rtd can't explain away if it is the doctor's mother. she's talking to wilf about wilf being lost, then she mentions how she was lost, so long ago. if that's the doctor's mother, what the heck does that mean? but if that's romana, it means she was lost before she met the doctor, just like wilf was.
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 am

I too, say RTD can take his "The Woman is the Doctor's mother, no really, honest, even though I left it vague so you could interpret it yourself but then let my real intention slip elsewhere so you could have something to argue about as if you wouldn't have had something to argue about without my suggestion" line and... do something impolite with it. Evil or Very Mad

As far as I'm concerned, Susan was The Woman, and Romana was the other dissenting Time Lord. And ain't nobody, showrunner or not, gonna change my mind until I see it onscreen. In big letters or words of one syllable out of the Doctor's mouth. So there. Razz
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 am

I feel the whole lost line can be applied to both Susan and Romana. You have Susan who was left behind on earth and Romana who was left behind in E-Space.

I think the other dissenting Time Lord is a man. I remember reading on this forum that some people thought it was Matt Smith.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 am

jfh1970 wrote:
I think the other dissenting Time Lord is a man. I remember reading on this forum that some people thought it was Matt Smith.
Maybe it was Braxiatel, post-Big Finish. Jo Grant returns! Icon_question I think that the dissenting Time Lord that some folks think was Romana was the woman who got vaporized by the not-so-resurrection-gauntlet thingie.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Earl Green wrote:
I think that the dissenting Time Lord that some folks think was Romana was the woman who got vaporized by the not-so-resurrection-gauntlet thingie.

No way. Romana would never have thrown her weight around without having some kind of plan. The Time Lady that was vaporized was speaking (albeit passionately) without even thinking of the consequences.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:59 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
Earl Green wrote:
I think that the dissenting Time Lord that some folks think was Romana was the woman who got vaporized by the not-so-resurrection-gauntlet thingie.

No way. Romana would never have thrown her weight around without having some kind of plan. The Time Lady that was vaporized was speaking (albeit passionately) without even thinking of the consequences.

The Time Lady was just some other woman Time Lord e never heard of, finito.
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 am

mysterylad wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
the only one i've been dying for since the new series would be susan...i still wish she should have been the one at the end of time warning wilf.

Agreed! I would love some closure regarding Susan, and this would've been an interesting bit. Until I heard alabout RTD's reference to the Doctor's mother, I just assumed that's who the mystery Time Lady was!

There is an audio adventure involving Susan and the Eighth Doctor called "The Earthly Child" in which he follows a message to Earth only to discover that it had been sent by Susan. It's a really interesting story, and it is kind of cool since Paul McGann and his son are both in it, with his son playing the Doctor's grandson.

However, aside from that, I to am curious about Susan's fate after the Time War, and hope that someone will one day give us the closure we need in knowing what he fate was.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 7:25 am

The Castellan wrote:
jfh1970 wrote:
Earl Green wrote:

The Time Lady was just some other woman Time Lord e never heard of, finito.

I kinda like thinking her as Flavia, myself.
Back to top Go down
D4L3K
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:59 am

She's returning with one of her sons. Finn Jones. He's the white boy in the trailer.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Jo Grant returns! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jo Grant returns!   Jo Grant returns! EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I think it is ironic that they still have Jo married to Prof. Jones, but Katy broke up with the actor years ago!!
Back to top Go down

Jo Grant returns!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next