slappy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
slappy
slappy

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-02-16

Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who Empty
PostSubject: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm

I just watched the teaser again and noticed something odd, other than Matt Smith. Sorry.

It starts with the Doctor standing in front of the TARDIS. There is a large white circle of some sort on one of the panels of the right door.

Any ideas what that is? New key hole? Inspection sticker?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere!

Link to teaser on BBCA
Back to top Go down
http://www.garyan.net
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 8:53 pm

It's the exterior design used in the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies... I have no clue what it means... I always thought maybe a British Police symbol...
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 pm

It's a St. John Ambulance logo. What that is exactly, I don't know.

Edit: very interesting, especially the motto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John_Ambulance_in_England_and_Wales

"Pro fide, pro utilitate hominum," translated as "for the faith and in the service of humanity."

It was also present in the unaired, original pilot from 1963:

Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who Original-pilot_tardis

Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who Original-pilot_tardis_symbol
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 pm

It was also on the Tardis during the early Hartnell series.

Once I saw that, I thought they might have been restarting the show in some form that would make Matt a young first Doctor, but after watching the End of Time I know that aint it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:

Once I saw that, I thought they might have been restarting the show in some form that would make Matt a young first Doctor, but after watching the End of Time I know that aint it.

It is sort of like a Red Cross badge. And I thought it has something to do with first aid. Was on original Police Boxes.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:

That is correct. The St. John's Ambulance logo was indeed part of the original TARDIS. It was only on there for two and a half years, though. During filming of "The War Machines", there was a major refurbishing of the TARDIS prop. The loss of the SJA logo was a result of this refurbishing. So if you watch that story, you'll notice that the logo it on there in some scenes, but not in others.
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm

So how can they explain its magical return? Did the TARDIS also regenerate? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:12 pm

The TARDIS has been described as sentient, so it possibly 'felt' like taking itself back to a simpler time in its life.

That's my theory and I am sticking with it!
Back to top Go down
Colbster
Colbster

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm

That's kind of cool I guess. I wonder if it will ever change form permanently again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/CMB76
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Colbster wrote:
That's kind of cool I guess. I wonder if it will ever change form permanently again.

As long as it stays a 'tall blue box'

I am looking forward to the WW2 Dalek and whatever that white one was also. <still on topic!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:27 am

I'm fond of the look myself. I think it's a neat little touch and instantly makes the series 5 TARDIS stand out. It'll be fun to buy a new FC TARDIS for the Series 5 display.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:51 am

Just one of the many subtle changes Moffat is making to pay homage to the classic series. The Tardis (inside and out) required a full rebuild to look good in HD.
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

CJSchmidt wrote:
Just one of the many subtle changes Moffat is making to pay homage to the classic series. The Tardis (inside and out) required a full rebuild to look good in HD.

It's funny because in watching the classic episodes on DVD, you realize how the original production teams never counted on today's high-definitinon screens and remastering technology.

I'm working my way through The Black Guardian Trilogy with Peter Davison right now, and it's funny how on DVD, you can see the brushstrokes on the painted wooden beams that make up the Tardis console. You can even see some bolt heads painted over and such.

I'm sure when they originally aired, the average household TV could NEVER pick up on such detail.

David's Tardis looks just fine to me, but I've never seen it in HD, so perhaps the same would be true which is why it necessitated a rebuild.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who   Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

I can't wait to have this new TARDIS, and if the rumors are true about a classic-style FC TARDIS, I'll buy that, too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com

Question about the teaser of the new Dr. Who
Page 1 of 1