SeaDevil
rdks
mumbojumbo21
terrasolo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Best Audio episode Empty
PostSubject: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 pm

It seems that all the lost episodes seem to be shut out of the best and worst categories.

For best I pick - The Web of Fear
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 pm

My personal favorite was Enemy of the World
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 11:21 am

I second "Enemy of the World". It is a great shame the footage has been lost.
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 pm

I love listening to Enemy of the World. I almost think I'd be disappointed seeing it. I've heard it so many times now the sets I've imagined have become part of the story for me. But watching the 1 episode sure is a tease nonetheless!

I also love listening to Power of the Daleks, but only the older version narrated by Tom Baker. What I love about this version is Tom Baker is the Fourth Doctor, and it's like he's telling the story as he remembers it. So he adds in little comments about Troughton's appearance, the Daleks, etc. If more audios did this I'd be thrilled. I hate it when a story is narrated by Frazier Hines as Frazier Hines, not Jamie McCrimmon. Tom also did The Evil of the Daleks. Other than those 2, I can't think of any narrated by characters instead of actors.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:41 pm

was the Tom version ever released on CD? If not, then I will trrack down the tapes. I like that idea.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:53 pm

They were only released on tape, early 90's I believe.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 am

Enemy of the World was pretty good, but my favorite audio is The Faceless Ones.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySat May 01, 2010 4:51 am

Reviving this old thread... Galaxy Four is incredibly entertaining in audio form. I wish I could see it. The Savages and Fury From The Deep are also top-shelf stuff.

I wonder if the "alien" seaweed in Fury From The Deep was ordinary Earth seaweed that had been infected by some spaceborne remnants of the Waters of Mars - not enough to turn the rest of Earth's oceans into the Flood, but enough to render the seaweed very hostile and mobile. Check out the existing clip of the two men emitting gas from their mouths to render one of the drilling rig crew unconscious - it's pretty unnerving, and the behavior of the "tainted" crew members of Bowie Base One instantly reminded me of that clip.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:37 am

I've always loved Marco Polo myself. The scene where the Doctor can't stop laughing because the TARDIS won't be given back to him has always stuck with me.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:13 pm

I liked the highlanders- always loved jamie- and it was so neat to listen to his first story. I'm just listening to evil of the daleks- what a shame this is lost visually...but thankfully the audio survives.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:29 pm

"Storm Warning" with Eight and Charley. I could not help but really love the Doctor after his interaction with the Vortisaur and the whole idea of the zepplin was just awesome! Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:41 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
was the Tom version ever released on CD? If not, then I will trrack down the tapes. I like that idea.

If you find them you could do what I did.
I put the output of my tape deck into the computer and recorded them, then burned them to CD.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:43 am

The older stories work well when done in audio. I think it is the style of the story telling.

I do not think it would be as successful with recent efforts.
The visual factor is to strong, often being of higher importance then the logic of the story.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyTue May 04, 2010 5:09 am

Are we talking audio recording of a TV episode or a Big Finish story? My favorite Big Finish is Spare Parts! Very creepy and sad story
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyTue May 04, 2010 5:21 am

Ronpur wrote:
Are we talking audio recording of a TV episode or a Big Finish story? My favorite Big Finish is Spare Parts! Very creepy and sad story

Which Doctor does that involve?

Creepy and sad go together well... especially if it's like (or better) than the last audio drama I just listened to, "Seasons of Fear". By the way, my dad is highly amused at the fact that I am loving the audio dramas. He was vaguely aware of my love for "the Lone Ranger" as well as other audio dramas that I had listened to off-and-on over the years.

This one though, I think it creeps him out. He gives me the look like, "It's Halloween in May?!" Eighth Doctor audio dramas have pretty much been like nightmarish... are there any of his that are just plain fun? Not that I am complaining about the creepy aspect... I'm quite enjoying that...
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

I intended the thread to be about the classic lost stories on audio. But no biggie, as it is all Who
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:14 am

Ah, that is what I was wondering! Those, I have never listened to.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyTue May 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
I intended the thread to be about the classic lost stories on audio. But no biggie, as it is all Who

Opps, sorry.
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Best Audio episode   The Best Audio episode EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:17 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Eighth Doctor audio dramas have pretty much been like nightmarish... are there any of his that are just plain fun?

"Max Warp", for one. The Doctor and Lucie investigate a murder on the set of "'Top Gear' in space."
Back to top Go down

The Best Audio episode
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: