Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

AMC's remake of The Prisoner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

AMC's remake of The Prisoner Empty
PostSubject: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 pm

I was shocked to see no mention of this show with all of the other remake talk lately. Did anyone even bother?

As promising as the possibilities seemed on paper for a modern revisitation of the themes of The Prisoner, this version just flat-out blew. It was as if the writer's sum total knowledge of McGoohan's original was from an article he'd read on the subject a few years back. Giving the new #6 amnesia was also a huge mistake: it robbed him of the barely-contained indignant rage of the original #6 which was so central to the show.

The original show is still timeless; the new version will fade into embarrassing obscurity, like that Lost In Space remake flick several years ago.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 pm

After reading a lot of the prelim reviews, I didn't tune in once to see the remake even though I adore Ian McKellen. There are things that don't need to be remade and the Prisoner is one of them. As Hollywood says, If it ain't broke, fix it.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 7:19 pm

I've watched a couple of episodes, and I seem to be in a distinct minority in that I enjoyed them. I haven't yet finished the show, but I like what I've seen thus far.

The Prisoner is a bit of a sacred cow, in my opinion: the original series is far too romanticized by its fans. I love the original series, but I have no illusions regarding it, either. Of the 17 episodes, about 10 were pure genius...and 7 were nonsensical filler. Remaking The Prisoner is not exactly as heretical as would be remakes of Citizen Kane or Gone With the Wind. I am reminded of the furor that arose over some aspects of the recent Star Trek film, in which thousands of angry fans seem to have forgotten the simple fact that the original series' good episodes were far outnumbered its mediocre-to-terrible episodes, but I digress...

While it's easy to belittle a remake, especially of a cherished show, I think people tend to view them with an unfair amount of disdain. The remake of The Prisoner isn't a money-grab; compared to other properties, the fanbase for The Prisoner is tiny and statistically insignificant. What's going on here is that the basic concept behind the original series has dramatic potential in multiple contexts, and is worth adapting to the modern world. It isn't supposed to tread the path laid by the original show...it can't. The point here is to use the basic concept to explore themes meaninful at this time in history, rather than those that drove the original series in its own temporal niche.

Of course, tastes are entirely subjective, and if the viewer simply doesn't like where the new series went, that's perfectly valid. I just think it's important to keep analyses in perspective.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

After watching it, I'm not sure it was a remake. I ended up viewing it as a sequel. A new 6, a slightly redesigned village (I picked up on the psychological contruct thing early on). It explained some things left unexplained by the original.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 8:50 pm

I missed all the episodes. I just wasn't sure if I'd be into it. I am a HUGE fan of the original. I don't think it's above reproach, it just seemed very "of the moment" in some ways and think that's part of what made it special. So I'm skeptical of the new one. But I do want to check it out.
Back to top Go down
whos scruffy lookin?
whos scruffy lookin?

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: AMC's remake of The Prisoner   AMC's remake of The Prisoner EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 3:19 pm

This update to the original was useless.The Prisoner is one of a kind.Be seeing you.
Back to top Go down

AMC's remake of The Prisoner
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: