37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Who is your favorite Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, there isn't much going on in the Doctor Who Discussion yet, so I thought I'd jump it off with an easy one -- who is your favorite Doctor?

Mine is Patrick Troughton. Despite the fact that he has the least number of episodes still in existence (thanks a lot, BBC Mad) he has always been the most enjoyable for me. He was the Doctor that really hooked me and reeled me in back in 1993/1994, when I first took an interest in the show. Tomb of the Cybermen had only recently been discovered, and my local PBS station ran it after an episode of Red Dwarf (which had only just hooked me as well).

There's something warm about Troughton's portrayal. I never warmed to William Hartnell like I did Troughton. Pertwee was sort of a grandfather figure for me in my youth, but Troughton was more of a fatherly figure (perhaps because I didn't get on with my step dad at all). The little speech he gives Victoria about his family, and about why the three of them (Jamie, Victoria and the Doctor) are special really struck a cord with me, and I fell instantly in love with the character.
Back to top Go down
englishrose
englishrose

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Jan isn't putrid at all   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 pm

My money is on Jon Pertwee.
He had the grandest spce operas with two parters like "Fronier in Space" and "Planet of the Daleks" and he also was embroiled in social commentary issues in a way no other series has.
Stories of environmental awareness couched in the trappings of science fiction much in the way that "Buffy" would do years later.
"Inferno" and "The Green Death" are my two favorite stories from this era.
The only two scenes in the series which have ever moved me to tears are the Doctor's goodbyes when separated from his companions: Jo Grant's farewell in "The Green Death" and Rose Tyler's farewell in "Doomsday."
David Tennant runs a very close second with his lovely and genuine rapport with Billie Piper.
Back to top Go down
Smeghead
Smeghead

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 11:44 pm

I am a fan of the 2nd, 7th, 9th and 10th Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 12:05 am

This is a tough one for me. I've never really had a favorite Doctor. I was first introduced to the Doctor through Tom Baker, as many were and love his quirkiness. Having met Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Colin Baker, I came to admire them for the men they were and are.... warm, honest... genuine. Peter Davison's Doctor was someone I would love to travel with... a good friend, something like a big brother... I could picture being safe with him. The same with Sylvester McCoy's Doctor, but more because he could be a fun and unpredictible teacher. I always admired William Hartnell's Doctor because he started it all and the stories were so varied for a single Doctor... historical, sci-fi, comedic, dramatic... even a bit musical with The Gunfighters. Laughing Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant made me fall for the new series with the added depth to their characterizations of the Doctor... sad, lonely, fun, whimsical... but always friend. The only one I can't comment on is Paul McGann's Doctor because I've only seen the TV movie and didn't have enough time to understand him.

Now, if you were to ask favorite companion.... Very Happy None until JackJackJackJackJackJackJack.... Did I mention Jack? bounce bounce bounce lol!
Back to top Go down
Whofan
Whofan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 12:44 am

The nineth and 10th doctors:) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Timeladyjojo
Timeladyjojo

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 1:46 am

Very Happy I have loved Tom Baker ever since I saw him the first time, with his lovely smile and quick wit, he is truely my favorite. Don't get me wrong, all the others are great too, but he holds a special place in my heart! Smile
Back to top Go down
TheJoker
TheJoker

Number of posts : 101

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 1:49 am

Ok, im a noob to Doctor Who....

Having said that my favorite so far is Chris Eccleston because his performance was great and he just sold the entire show.

I have no begun watching the older series and I seem to like Troughton as well because he has this quirky look on his face that just makes me smile.

Last edited by on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 2:05 am

I feel like one of the fortunate few who weren't introduced to the series through Tom Baker (in terms of American fandom). The rub has always been that, when I do find someone else who knows what Doctor Who is, they tend to know Tom Baker and that's it. It's a shame.

The new series has helped a bit, because people who are into genre television tend to know about it, but that doesn't help finding American's who know anything about the classic series beyond Tom Baker. I think the reason I came to avoid his stories (I've only seen four of them) is because I grew to resent the fact that he was the only Doctor anyone seemed to know. pale
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 am

Last edited by on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 2:49 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Peter Cushing was always Grand Moff Tarkin to me, I was born in 1969. But he is so 'loveable' as 'Doctor Who' especially compared to his usual nasty Hammer Horror roles.

You know what I find funny about this? While I wholly agree that his version of Dr. Who was really lovable, his most often played characters in the Hammer Horror films were good guys and not villains, but he never could escape the stigma of being a nasty piece of work in those films.

I was reading an interview with him the other day in which he mentioned this, and also mentioned that part of the reason he played Dr. Who was so that children would stop being scared of him. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 2:55 am

J. Thomas Jeans wrote:
I feel like one of the fortunate few who weren't introduced to the series through Tom Baker (in terms of American fandom). The rub has always been that, when I do find someone else who knows what Doctor Who is, they tend to know Tom Baker and that's it. It's a shame.

The new series has helped a bit, because people who are into genre television tend to know about it, but that doesn't help finding American's who know anything about the classic series beyond Tom Baker. I think the reason I came to avoid his stories (I've only seen four of them) is because I grew to resent the fact that he was the only Doctor anyone seemed to know. pale

Tom Baker was such a change after Pertwee! I started watching when PBS Los Angeles started showing the Pertwee seasons, and didn't get to see Baker for years. When I did, it was quite a shock, but he soon became my favorite.

Still, his early seasons are really some of the best Who, in my mind. If the uninformed have to know only one Doctor, they could do worse than Tom.

That said, my second fave is CE. I'm sorry he only did one series.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
katrinka

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 9:23 am

My favorite Doctor is the first Doctor. But I like all of the Doctors. I adore Colin Baker's audios.

Really, choosing my favorite Doctor is like choosing my favorite child. It's very difficult. lol!
Back to top Go down
pjr

Number of posts : 592

PostSubject: who is your favorite doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 4:40 pm

I was lucky enough to live in an area that broadcast the Jon Pertwee episodes when Time-Life first brought them to the U.S. I
always liked his Doctor. I understand why the Earthbound/UNIT
format was introduced but looking back on the stories now many
could be easily rewritten so they weren't Doctor Who. I'm being
nitpicky. I still like them.

That said Patrick Troughton is my favorite Doctor. I think he nailed
the part and it's tragic that more of his episodes don't exist.
Back to top Go down
measkren
measkren

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 9:50 pm

I've had several favourites: 2, 4, 7, but more recently I've been liking the 8th Doctor and the 10th Doctor. I suppose David Tennant is my fav at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://home.pacbell.net/measkren/
Doctor Xombie
Doctor Xombie

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 7:23 pm

I can't really choose a specific favorite as I like them all.

But my top picks would be Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Tom Baker and David Tennant.

Sylvester McCoy seemed like such an entertainer.... starting with a bit of slap stick but then onward to more dramatic stuff.

Paul McGann was a perfect charming Doctor.... if only he had more screen time.
I TRULY hope he gets to do more Doctor Who stuff on-screen.

Tom Baker is pretty much in a category by himself.... he WAS the Doctor. He fit perfectly.
J. Thomas Jeans: You are really missing out on some amazing stuff. Tom was a bit over exposed but he did do a great job.

I think David Tennant is carrying the show... the stories haven't been what they could be, but with him in the role the show is sooo much more interesting and FUN to watch. He is quickly rising to the top of my favorite Doctors list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 7:33 pm

I adore each Dr for their time on the screen. They fit their times, yet my most favorite will always be Patrick Troughton. Maybe I'll go into details another time....

:doc2:
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Like some others here, I have a hard time pointing to one Doctor. I knew "about" Doctor Who but never really watched it until the early 90's when the PBS station in Seattle started showing all the extant stories. I, by chance, turned on the TV just before An Unearthly Child started and ended up watching everything that exists up to Survival.

For the longest time William Hartnell was my favorite.

I, too, get irritated by people who only know Tom Baker and refuse to give an even chance to other Doctors. I really see it as a whole and not watching others limits it.

All that said... hmmm...

While most of his stories are lacking, I really like the 6th Doctor.

While he only had one, poor, televised story, I really like the 8th (I enjoy his Big Finish stories).

The 3rd has a real charm to him that appeals to me.

Ugh... it sounds like a cop-out to me, but I guess I choose the 10th. Tennant's exuberance is great. The fact that this rĂ´le is the fulfilment of a childhood dream for him pleases me.

Yes. I think the 10th is currently my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 1:09 am

I with you on the 6th Doc. I've only heard a few of his audios, but he had such potential when he was on TV. I keep thinking what he could have done with better stories and a better wardrobe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 2:26 am

Don't forget to fill in the "Favorite Doctor" entry on your member profile!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyWed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Loved Pertwee & McCoy as a kid, but absolutely positively beyond any point of return fell in LOVE with the Doctor and Rose in the Chips scene during End Of The World. Nice to see things through different eyes, and feel with a more seasoned heart. I could just kiss Russell. Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I can't say I have a favorite, tough choices.
I do find myself more often going back and watching Hartnell and Troughton.

One thing I like about these early days is the Doctor did not always know everything going on in the universe. Things seemed more of a surprise to him.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyTue Apr 24, 2007 12:01 pm

mine is tom baker....
Back to top Go down
Cyberstrike
Cyberstrike

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Even though I got hooked into Doctor Who through Ecclestone and Tennant I like Peter Davison slightly more than those two just based on the few stories I saw of his (Castlevolva,
Resurection of the Daleks and The Five Doctors
).

Last edited by on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://cyberstrike.conforums.com/index.cgi
cmdrkoenig67
cmdrkoenig67

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 am

My first favorite is Tom Baker (the very first Doctor I saw on PBS as a kid in the seventies)...I grew to adore the Pertwee and Troughton Doctors too...My current love is Mr. Tennant.

Dana
Back to top Go down
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite Doctor?   Who is your favorite Doctor? EmptyWed May 16, 2007 2:46 am

I think Colin is possibly one of my favorite Doctors, which is odd considering he has some of my least favorite stories. I think the Trial season was a step in the right direction, only it's a shame his second season was never made (the Trial season is technically his third, as his second was scrapped during the cool-off).

Colin had a lot of potential, it's only ashame about the standard of writing on the show at the time.
Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite Doctor?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next