CJSchmidt
mysterylad
WhoMA_Joe
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 am

I was talking to another member of the forum here, and they told me they were getting a fourth Doctor figure for their sons Birthday. I was wondering, since I have seen others here mention family and such, how many members have wives, girlfriends, or kids that are also fans of Doctor Who?

I picked the wrong show to share with a g/f. None of my ex's have liked the program, or they outright hated it.

Hence they are Ex's! No Needless to say, when I turn forty this coming saturday, I will be doing it alone.
MORE TOYS FOR ME! lol!

Anywho, let's hear from all the happy "Who'sters" :doc4: (Copyright 2009 Hoosier Whovian) about your family of fans.
Back to top Go down
WhoMA_Joe
WhoMA_Joe

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 am

Well my wife and I are long time fans, but you gave me an idea Mr. Whovian.

DOCTOR WHO PERSONALS !!!! What better way could there be to find the special person in your life?- Doctor Who wedding themas would be next.
I think we got something here :-)

::I am sitting here reading at what I typed and there is a chance that some one might actually do this::
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am

Two of my three sons are rabid fans of the modern show, though only one of them appreciates the classic show. My oldest son couldn't care less about anything.

My wife is also a huge fan of the modern show, but the only classics she'll watch are Tom Baker (who she actually enjoys) and Hartnell (who fascinates her as an historical curiosity).
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 pm

I was a casual fan of the original show on PBS when I was younger. Downloaded the leaked pilot in college and dove headfirst down the rabbit hole taking my roommates with me. My wife and I would have "British TV Night" together every Sunday when we were first married - watch a new Doctor Who, and old sitcom, drink tea, and eat McVities biscuits. Since then, it has spread like a wonderful virus amongst our friends and relatives.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 am

well I'm trying to start them young- I have a 10 month nephew-he really likes cybermen...everytime he sees one he giggles-not the sort of reaction a cyberman would expect. I can't let any toy within his grasp because it will go into the mouth-but I can tell he is more enamored by the monsters than the doctor. My niece is 3 and she is too young to watch, but is interested in the toys- but she will have to wait. My family does watch the show, but are not into science fiction as much as me...more into (sigh) reality shows and crime dramas. My sister in law- likes the show but has no time to watch now with the little 10 month old.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm

My wife and I adopted our niece some years ago and over the years there have been a few things we've enjoyed together, usually movies, and rarely music. So imagine my surprise when fetching her for dinner one night I notice her watching the doctor dances! I ask her about it and she says well she had just started watching some eps. Pretty soon she's getting into the 2nd and 3rd series and now she's hooked. We've actually bonded a little over the newer ones, being a member of the not waiting for scifi to air it club Wink I let her watch on my pc when I land one. The Mrs. on the other hand has no interest and my little one is still too little.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:02 am

friends and family of friends. every year at christmas my best friends mom gets a doctor who dvd, she loved it when the kids were little and they still love it. it was her who actually suggested that the animated version of the invasion should be a cartoon on saturday's for children and shes 60! so go argue with your mother on that. but seriously doctor who is like the ultimate dork handshake, any light weight sissy boy has watched star trek it takes a true lover of sci fi and fantasy to boost having seen a majority of doctor who, male, or, female. and the infection just keeps on spreading!
Back to top Go down
Newton Gimmick
Newton Gimmick

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 am

I used to ramble on about Doctor Who to my GF from time to time but she never really cared much. I didn't have any eps on DVD or anything, so it just sort of was what it was.

I've made her watch a ton of crap but never Who, so I assume she figured it was just more of that type of junk from me.

One night when we were utterly bored, I put the new Who on Netflix because I hadn't watched it. She watched a couple eps and I wasn't sure and then WHAMMO she was hooked. She then made me watch every episode of the new Who series in a week or two.

She's not as fond of the older shows, but she's getting to where she can watch Baker episodes. He wins everyone over eventually.

Since then she's become attached to Torchwood as well.

I consider myself lucky and thank the TV gods that the new Who shows are so accessible to everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.infinitehollywood.com
MagePro
MagePro

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 4:41 pm

My first experience was in high school. A friend of mine, a year younger, had started reading the novelizations of the original series. Then, in the mid 70's our local PBS station in Indy began running the show. I watched with great interest, but wasn't really hooked until college.

My second year of college, I went up to Lafayette (Purdue University) with that one friend that had the books as the TV station up there was showing The 5 Doctors.

By the time I was out of college and married, I was video taping the shows. I'm still converting the VHS to DVD for the ones that are not available in regular DVD.

With access to Who North America, my fix for the needed items and computer USB hubs in the shape of a TARDIS are complete!

- Tom

Last edited by MagePro on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.WhoNA.com
captkirk42
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 5:41 pm

My Uncle is a casual fan of Classic Who, he just has regular TV not cable so he has never seen the Reboot Series. Not sure if he'd like it. I remember a time or two discussing the show with him sometimes w/to other people and he had gotten involved in the show when I Dad had mentioned it to him.

Also my brothers are casual fans very casual, from time to time they watch and enjoy it but they don't get deep into the minutiae like I do.
Back to top Go down
http://klandersen.com
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 2:54 am

My Uncle got me into it in 1976. We watched the Tom's first 2 seasons together.

Today when Who is on, my wife and daughter and I watch it together. I've tried my all of my daughter's 17 years to get her into Who, and she always hated it. TV Movie came along when she was 6, she hated it. New Series in 2005, hated it. David Tennant comes along, she watches cuz he was in Harry Potter, now she LOVES it. She went back and watched Doc9, loved it. Watched the TV Movie, loved it. She still refuses to watch anything earlier, but Time Crash made her a fan of collecting clips of Doc5 from YouTube.

My wife (of 2 years, not my 17 year old daughters mother) is Japanese and has a lot of trouble understanding British accents. She doesn't fully understand the shows until we can watch with subtitles, but she enjoys spending the time together.

Doctor Who is the only television show we watch together as a family. Mainly because it's really the only TV show I like.
Back to top Go down
MagePro
MagePro

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:03 am

Glad to see that I'm not the only fan that loves Patrick!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Generally, Who is wife-bane for me. All I gotta do is tell her I wanna watch some and she's outta here! She is a little better than she was in that she'll watch Tennant or Davison because they're "cute." A bit shallow, but whatever it takes! She doesn't seem to mind Eccleston. Tolerates Tom Baker and Pertwee. Would still likely leave the room, though...
Back to top Go down
MagePro
MagePro

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Yeah, if my father-in-law is in the room, "It's all BS!"

But, once I get the wife to sit down, she's planted for the duration... unless I am doing a marathon. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tegan4
tegan4

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-21

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Family of Who.   Family of Who EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 7:34 am

My family has been watching DW for as long as I can remember. It started out with my mom watching it in the 80's on PBS Channel 11, then my sister started staying up Sunday nights to watch it with her. Some of my earliest memories are of me running around and watching DW. My mom knitted us a scarf (which is no more b/c the dogs used it as a chew toy, lol), and my dad got us a big fridge box that my sister and I used to play in as our own TARDIS.
My love of DW just kept on growing, and after PBS stopped airing it, I just started collecting any merch and books I could find, going to Visions, and collecting all the videos as they came out. This often meant me going hungry at lunch during high school b/c I would save all my lunch money for DW stuff on the weekends!! lol
My sister and mom are into the new series, and watch it regularly (my dad not so much). I've converted my fiancee into a DW fan, more so with the new series. If I want my fiancee to watch a classic ep with me, usually I have to trade off watching an ep of an anime for an ep of classic DW.
I love that I can share my quirky love and addiction of DW with my family, and can't wait to share it with and embarrass my future children with it!! lol Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pex the Unalive

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:32 pm

Almost every member of my family has a different favorite Doctor.

My uncle likes Hartnell.
My grandfather likes Troughton.
My grandmother (when she was alive) liked Pertwee.
My mother likes Tom Baker.

My brother and I both like McCoy best.

Oh, and my father doesn't watch. Doesn't hate it, the show just doesn't interest him.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 pm

My whole family hates the show. Pity, but it is there loss.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:31 pm

My ex bf (5 years of wasted time) thought the show was alright, but always had something to say like "It's no BSG" or "Star Trek will always be better". Always spreading negativity. But that's part of the reason he is now my ex. I watched so much stupid crap for him and he acted like I was ripping his fingernails out when I wanted to watch DW. My Aunt loves the show, my mom likes the scarier episodes, and my sister likes the romance involved with Rose. No one else in my family has any idea what I'm talking about when I bring it up. They all say "Is that some British show..." (I'm kind of known for my interest in British tv, 90% of my favorite shows air on BBC)
Back to top Go down
Gunny
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Family of Who Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family of Who   Family of Who EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:54 am

Mrs Gunny just doesn't get it, sadly. She knows I truly enjoy the show but she does not watch with me. My son is not a sci-fi fan although he tried to watch it this Christmas when he was home for a short spell. I was watching The Image of the Fendahl DVD, but he didn't get it either. My duaghter does not watch it either but thinks David Tennant is cute. My daughter is also the only one who knows what to get me for Christmas to really make me happy, this Christmas it was The Nightmare Fair Big Finish audio.
Back to top Go down

Family of Who
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: