CJSchmidt
13 posters
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth Empty
PostSubject: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 pm

What did everyone think? UK vs. BBC America versions? Series 4?
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Loved it! Saw the UK version only. It was so dark but brilliant. Just a few minor quibbles if I had any. I actually really liked the format. I honestly wouldn't mind if Series 4 (which apparently was confirmed as a go at Comic Con) was in a similar format. But instead of only one week of 5 nights maybe they could have two or three of these spread out throughout the year.
Back to top Go down
Dalek Prototype
Dalek Prototype

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 pm

The UK version is incredibly dark and troubling. I can't think of a television series that put the main cast through so much turmoil and personal heartache. It would be interesting to compare the UK to the US version.

"Children of Earth" is a well written and extremely well-produced sci-fi drama. I don't want to give away any spoilers because the story will truly have any first time viewer guessing (and hoping) right up to the end.

There were so many unexpected twists that hit me like a stomach punch and I kept thinking to myself that at least one or two of these was going to be "corrected" before the final credits. The last half hour is dramatically palpable.

Could there be a Series Four after this? I suppose so. The writers would have to be very smart instead of simply clever. No more Hub, different relationships, Gwen having Owen's baby (just kidding)... the possibilities are ripe, we can only hope that they pick them properly.
Back to top Go down
captkirk42
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Loved it! US Version. BBC America showed the first runs from 9:00PM - 10:15PM then showed the inside look behind the scenes things till 10:30. Next night they would show the rerun 8:00 PM - 9:00PM these obviously had some time edited out, since BBCA shows commercials (The advantage that the public broadcast stations have is they don't cut in with commercials) I don't think they cut any full scenes just little bits here and little bits there in the middle of scenes. For example (hope this doesn't do much spoiling) IN one of the first Frobisher talking to the 456 scenes when he is handed the slip of paper that asks the question "Why did they choose London?" The whole action of the assistant writing the question down and tentatively getting up and handing him the slip of paper, and Frobisher looking at/reading it was cut. It isn't vital but it shows you how he was informed about the question. So his comment about "I've been requested to ask.." (or whatever the exact line of his was) sounds silly. It leaves those who didn't see that part wonder how, when did he get the question?

Then on Sunday the showed all the episodes in a mini marathon, I think the full 1hr:15min versions with the inside looks.

RE: Possibility of a Season 4. It is possible, I would love for them to do it. I hope that they don't screw up the explanation of
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://klandersen.com
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 am

Seriously, guys? I saw the UK version and thought it was ridiculously stupid. Aliens getting high off of children indeed. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 pm

As of last night I am 4/5 through the series and am loving it.
I'm avoiding spoilers on the ending but... wow. I thought he deaths last year were tough. I can't see them undoing what happened in episode 4.

I have to say, I've enjoyed the previous Torchwood series, but not enough to own them. I think I'm going have to have Children of Earth, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:49 pm

so, has anyone else heard the rumor that john barrowman is trying to get a role on desperate housewifes(what?). if he does, does that mean they are going to do series 4 without him(to me that would be like doing a doctor who series without the doctor). no offense to eve myles, but i don't think gwen can carry the whole show by herself(even if by some miracle they can bring martha and mickey back). if he does join dh, maybe he'll only be in it for one season, and they can wait until he's done to start the next series of torchwood.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Okay... just in case anyone hasnt seen it....

Spoiler:

Speaking of, Jack may actually be gone. I mean, he was a "last of his kind" traveller in space when we first met him as The Face of Boe, right?

Spoiler:

But yeah, dunno if Torchwood could go on without Jack. I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
neonlogo
neonlogo

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:16 pm

I just watched TW:COE, and I was surprised how much it reminded me of QUATERMASS IV. Same beam of light. Same "Kids to a spot to be picked up", there are more, but I don't want to ruin QUATERMASS IV for anyone. If you have ever seen it, you'll know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/grubgun
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 1:37 pm

personally, i think children of earth has a good story, but it didn't fit in well with the torchwood universe. it seems to me that they wrote most of it around torchwood, so they could end the series. i won't go into details for anyone who hasn't seen it, but i just don't see how they can do another series of torchwood, without getting a whole new cast(which makes no sense to me, since captain jack is the show). after watching this, i am even more worried for the 2-part finally for tennant.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 2:01 am

Ah I think I am the odd lady out- this series 3 is beyond depressing...I know it is supposed to be dark and the opposite of mary poppins but my oh my this series was bitter and way too much of a downer times 11.
I'm going to hug a kitten to make myself feel better.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 am

greenk9, i'm with you. actually, you should try a small dog, they love to hug, and kiss.
Back to top Go down
WhoMA_Joe
WhoMA_Joe

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm

or a cuddly ferret Smile
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 pm

I enjoyed TW: CoE. Like all science fiction, you have to swallow a pretty significant conceit to get into it (in this case, that a species advanced enough to be capable of interstellar travel could also be a bunch of chemical-junkies), but once you're past that, it's heavy stuff...riveting, even. And like all the best sci-fi, it becomes a commentary on the human condition: the bureaucrats spring into action to preserve the status quo, which is the job of bureaucrats, after all, but they seem summarily incapable of recognizing that if this horrific act is what it takes to preserve civilization into tomorrow, then the future they're trying to protect isn't worth living in! Good sci-fi should be thought-provoking and a little subversive, and TW: CoE is certainly that.

The only real problem, though, is the fallout for the Whoniverse. The events of this series were of a magnitude that, if the Whoniverse has any kind of narrative integrity, will have long-lasting sociological ripple effects. I can't help but feel like they're ruined early-21st century earth as a suitable setting for Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures. I guess they can just ignore it all or find some "reset button" plot device, but that seems cheap. This, I suppose, is the problem with having three shows share a continuity, and having one of those shows skew very, very adult.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 pm

I like your points mysterylad, and agree with a few- but I just felt that Torchwood was trying too hard to step away from Doctor Who's shadow. In terms of continuity, I just felt that in DW jack was freewheeling, funny and endearing but on Torchwood he seems like a totally different character...a bit of an angry somewhat detatched soul. When he is around the doctor he is better.... Don't get me wrong- I like Torchwood, just disliked S3.

Scifijoe/bretowen....hugs! ha!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:54 pm

mysterylad wrote:
I can't help but feel like they're ruined early-21st century earth as a suitable setting for Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures

I completely agree with this. They've gone too big, too many times, and now with this Torchwood thing... but I imagine there's going to be zero reference to it in either series.

I'm actually tired of seeing Earth invasions. I miss the old days of 1 or 2 aliens hiding in a shed, sneaking out at night to steal parts for what they were building. And the only people who knew about were the fisherman and his wife. And they died.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:29 am

rdks wrote:
mysterylad wrote:
I can't help but feel like they're ruined early-21st century earth as a suitable setting for Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures

I completely agree with this. They've gone too big, too many times, and now with this Torchwood thing... but I imagine there's going to be zero reference to it in either series.

I'm actually tired of seeing Earth invasions. I miss the old days of 1 or 2 aliens hiding in a shed, sneaking out at night to steal parts for what they were building. And the only people who knew about were the fisherman and his wife. And they died.

LOL! As much as I like a full-scale invasion, I totally get where you're coming from...there's a lot to be said for smaller-scale storytelling. Take The Time Warrior, for example: look at all the action and excitement (pronounced "violence and mayhem") that resulted from the presence of ONE alien who just wanted to get home! The old series was produced on a shoestring, yet endured for decades; there are clearly valuable lessons in entertainment to be learned from the classic formula. I love the new series, but its creators could stand to take a step back now and then and realize that just because they now have the budget and the technology to do big things, doesn't mean that big is always the direction to go.

I have to say, though, I'm glad the Moff is taking over. I think he understands things like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth   Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:33 pm

I have enjoyed all of Torchwood over its three years for its drama, unpredictability, and attention to characters and their relationships. Its not very typical for a sci-fi show. However, given the unfathomable losses (surely I'm giving nothing away by now) I would prefer that the show end its run. I can't take any more of losing characters I love. Its too heartbreaking. They can't be replaced.
Back to top Go down

Torchwood Series 3: Children of Earth
Page 1 of 1